Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT A SAD BUT LOVELY DAY IN MEMORY OF GEORGE H W BUSH

This is going to be one long and sad week.

Esteemed Contributor

Such a great family man!! He was such a decent, honorable person who served his country well during his  lifetime. 

Honored Contributor

I watched several shows on CNN, and the segment about his daughter Robin who died of leukemia at the age of 3 soon to have been four, I believe, brought tears to my eyes.  He said when the next child was a daughter,  "it was heavenly."  Not many men talk in those terms.

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

Such a great family man!! He was such a decent, honorable person who served his country well during his  lifetime. 

@corita.  Yes he was. Always presented himself with dignity and class and represented our country like a true American hero and President. RIP

Honored Contributor

Nothing at all to do with politics, but the Bush family always seemed the  most "genuine" of all the presidential families to me.  They seem to know exactly who they are, tolerate one another well, and were given strength and some sense of humbleness by their parents.  

No matter what kind of things were said about 43, he seemed to shake it off for the most part and deal with that--and for that I have a soft spot for his parents for his "raisin'" as Okies would say.  I wish more bullied kids had that kind of confidence and security given to them to deal with what is dished out by some. 

They love and respect their parents and seem to want to please them.  That's a quality I much admire.  And so many of them read and love books.  

Honored Contributor

Well, it all begins tomorrow.  

I have a fresh box of tissues ready and waiting.  It will be difficult to watch.....that's for sure......

Respected Contributor

I have to agree .. CNN did a fabulous job last night .....

On Saturday Night Live last night ... they did a short spot of Dana

Carvie as President 41 interviewing 41 .. it was hilarious ... showed

what a great sense of humor he had ....

I have so much respect for this patriotic family ....

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Nothing at all to do with politics, but the Bush family always seemed the  most "genuine" of all the presidential families to me.  They seem to know exactly who they are, tolerate one another well, and were given strength and some sense of humbleness by their parents.  

No matter what kind of things were said about 43, he seemed to shake it off for the most part and deal with that--and for that I have a soft spot for his parents for his "raisin'" as Okies would say.  I wish more bullied kids had that kind of confidence and security given to them to deal with what is dished out by some. 

They love and respect their parents and seem to want to please them.  That's a quality I much admire.  And so many of them read and love books.  

@Sooner  I hope you get a chance to see the film W some time which I saw on HBO (maybe it was made for HBO?).  Josh Brolin played George the son "W" and the guy who was the farmer in the film Babe played George H.W.   There were real tensions between them when W. was having trouble with alcohol, and there were issues between W. and Jeb because George H.W. really favored Jeb, who could do no wrong (the "good" son).  I think the film was based on a biography book about W.   Anyway, it was very interesting but the family wasn't as tolerant of each other as you'd think!

As for George H.W., his grandchildren, including W.'s twins, really seemed to adore him, which I think is sweet.   One of the twins, Barbara, even recently had her wedding at his home so he could attend it, frail as he was in his wheelchair.  I'm sure now she is very glad to have that memory.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner  I hope you get a chance to see the film W some time which I saw on HBO (maybe it was made for HBO?).  Josh Brolin played George the son "W" and the guy who was the farmer in the film Babe played George H.W.   There were real tensions between them when W. was having trouble with alcohol, and there were issues between W. and Jeb because George H.W. really favored Jeb, who could do no wrong (the "good" son).  I think the film was based on a biography book about W.   Anyway, it was very interesting but the family wasn't as tolerant of each other as you'd think!

As for George H.W., his grandchildren, including W.'s twins, really seemed to adore him, which I think is sweet.   One of the twins, Barbara, even recently had her wedding at his home so he could attend it, frail as he was in his wheelchair.  I'm sure now she is very glad to have that memory.

@Pearlee  Didn't see the movie and don't care to see it.  I realize of course that the family has had issues as have had most of our families.  I see a family that has stayed together and seems to love and respect one another.

I wouldn't take a movie to accurately portray anyone's life, just as I have taken with a grain of salt the plethora of movies about the Kennedys. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee.....it's been a known fact that GWB had a drinking problem, and that was difficult for the whole family.  But thankfully he got straightened out....by his adorable wife.....  There really isn't a family existing that has always been perfect....and the Bush family isn't any different.  But, they love one another and respect one another.