Valued Contributor

Re: WELL-KNOWN NYU PROFESSOR ACCUSED BY HER FORMER GRAD STUDENT

The world gets sicker by the day.

Honored Contributor

Sbe's a woman and in this area, there is no equality between women and men.  They'll probably turn her into a victim and say the student abused her.  The #Me Too movenent doesn't care about female abusers.

Trusted Contributor

I read it on Sunday and immediately thought about the internicine wars of academia.  This one uses "feminist" because many of the professor's supporters  are women that characterize themselves as such.  They argue that she is one of the world's leading social philophers and that her scholarship is seminal and in the vanguard of combining ideas, technologies, identities, etc. to classical studies.  It seems that feminists, or others that oppose behavior in other groups, are more tolerant and understanding when one of their own is affected.  Moral relativism I suppose.  The professor also argued that her and the student's sexual identities, national heritage, etc. enabled them to engage with each other in fluid ways that others could not.  One of her final defenses was that the student's scholarship lacked originality and coherence and he reacted by accusing her of harassment. 

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

I guess by now I shouldn’t be surprised by anything, but it still astounds me how little common sense people display even when they know the consequences. Self control and professionalism seem to be in short supply.

This behavior has been been going on as long as humans have been around.  My dear aunts experienced sexual assault, one as a child from her elementary principal and the other from her boss as a young secretary.  They both told me when they were in their eighties and it was the first time that they revealed it to anyone. I was honored that they trusted me.  

Why do people pretend that sexual abuse and assault is something new????   It's been going on since the time people first walked the earth and we all know it.  

Trusted Contributor

dooBdoo-Imagine the response if "womanist" was included in the discussion. I am enjoying the discussion thus far and your comment.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Scoot over, @mom2four0418, I want to sit by you!😁   

I think the mistakes here are twofold:  stereotyping and also presenting only part of a story.   I'm kind of tired of the way the feminist labeling tries to put people in one box, as if they all are robots or clones.   Feminists come in all shapes, sizes, and attitudes.   In this situation, people who are the woman's friends and colleagues  and  who also identify as feminists wanted to support her.   This happens, right or wrong, and as a human being I can understand how the first reaction is to be there for a friend... someone with whom I have an important history.   It's the human heart...  and sometimes we have to step back and try to be more objective, but we don't always do that at first, or well.   The human heart is powerful.

I think the story is another example of the attempt to divide.   To draw a line in the sand and prompt people to take sides.    If we really want to put a stop to all the divisiveness in society and in this country in particular, we need to take a close look at this type of story that can perpetuate conflict, division, and that reduces people to often-poorly-defined one-dimensional labels.

I applaud your comment @dooBdoo !

Honored Contributor

I think the article speaks for itself--  I supplied the title so that people could look up and read for themselves.  It's fine to have a variety of responses to it.

QVC has permitted discussions of the issue at length over the last months, from many perspectives.  The professor, Avital Ronell, and those who would support the type of teacher-student relationship that she describes, and that the emails demonstrate, are making an exception for her, that they would presumably not allow for others, I believe.  The NYT article suggests this very strongly.

The teacher-student relationship is one where one of the parties has authority and power over the other.  This is especially true in the case of professors and graduate students, who are very dependent on mentors and academic advisors for recommendations for advancement in the academy and jobs.  The power differential between professor and student is an essential key in determining appropriateness of behavior.

Feminists, and others concerned with the working out of behavior in hierarchies- people of good will and common sense- have recognized this, and therein lies the double standard with Ronell and her supporters, as the piece shows.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
I don't get any of it! They are both gay and his name is Nimrod? Smh....

@lovesrecess  Nimrod is a Biblical name.  He is Jewish.  Nimrod was a

great-+++ grandson of Noah.

Nothing funny about his name at all.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

The term feminist is used in this post because it's a big point in the article. A professor who is a well known feminist and her friends who are also well known feminists. It's all about the reaction to that. Especially when some of her supporters are complaining because they are mad that laws that were supposed to help women are being used to help men. Yes that is stated in the piece.

Honored Contributor

Total double standard.......