Esteemed Contributor

Re: WELL-KNOWN NYU PROFESSOR ACCUSED BY HER FORMER GRAD STUDENT

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

Why do men and women with power of any kind think that they are entitled because of their standing in the community. I learned this early in my life. Six years old. Sadly you are changed for the rest of your life.

Because it has gone on for centuries.  It is nothing anybody wasn't aware of in Hollywood (the casting couch?).  It was known and laughed about apparently by all in the NBC news room. 

Hello?  Why are people shocked?  They have been entitled.  And the second verse of this is that it WILL go on as long as people can get ahead at work by doing it.  There are always willing people.  Until and unless that changes, nothing will change.  It may get a little more on the sly, but trust me as long as people can get ahead that way there are those who will.  But I doubt they will be called out or blamed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Just one of the problems with the #metoo issue. Who made them judge and jury? The media likes to report allegations yet they them too have been accused. Now you have a female being accused and females are supporting her in a way they would not do if she were male. 

@Nancy Drew  So many assumptions here, it's mind-numbing.  Just from what has been written in the posts on this thread (I have not read the article), I have seen nothing that has proven that this situation has garnered majority support for this professor at all.  Again, just from these postings here, I for one, a female, would not support that professor's actions for a minute!

So let's disengage the #metoo issues with now lumping all women together with only one mindset, one experience, or one sensibility towards all things that happen involving every woman.  That is insulting to say the least. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Just one of the problems with the #metoo issue. Who made them judge and jury? The media likes to report allegations yet they them too have been accused. Now you have a female being accused and females are supporting her in a way they would not do if she were male. 

@Nancy Drew  So many assumptions here, it's mind-numbing.  Just from what has been written in the posts on this thread (I have not read the article), I have seen nothing that has proven that this situation has garnered majority support for this professor at all.  Again, just from these postings here, I for one, a female, would not support that professor's actions for a minute!

So let's disengage the #metoo issues with now lumping all women together with only one mindset, one experience, or one sensibility towards all things that happen involving every woman.  That is insulting to say the least. 

Oh sorry if I wasn’t clear. I really didn’t write enough, just a quick comment. I love that you want to take each women’s opinion separately. That was another issue I had with the #metoo movement, they wanted everyone to have the same mind set. I never said ALL women so I thought I wasn’t lumping everyone together. Sorry if you were insulted.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's a double standard, the #Me Too movement is why there cannot be any real discussion about a very real problem that requires changes in our society.  

Trusted Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

It's especially bizarre since both parties are homosexuals.  She seemed to think of him as her pet.  Confusing woman!

Struck me as just as odd and confusing. An experimental "pet" to control and manipulate? 

And those supporting the Professor, though she is found to be guilty, remind me of the Old Boys Club. No different at all. We all know of brilliant people who were otherwise excellent in their positions, who broke the law and so lost them. Some were sentenced to prison.

People are people. Ideally justice should remain blind to ALL discriminations or favoritism, and the accused must be assumed innocent until proven guilty. I don't like people being tried by public opinion, and losing their positions by nothing more than ramped up social outrage, before the facts are in and they are truly found guilty. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I read everything, although I could have drifted.  I don't understand what she did since they are both gay.  Also just as a footnote Nimrods area of study is odd.

now I have read the Times story and lots of comments.   First if true she should be fired.  But he needs a good shrink.  He went to Paris with her and met her demands before school had started??? The good lord gave these people too many brains that they have poorly exercised.  And they are both Gay?  Really?  Very very twisted.