Esteemed Contributor

Re: WDBJ Reporters were shot

@biancardi wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

But it's not necessarily mental illness

When you have reached the end of your career (and I would submit that men do value their self-worth based on their careers and career success), and you feel you have nothing to lose, you don't necessarily think clearly.

And it's very easy to say to yourself, this is how I'm going out.  Like the guy before me.

well said - it is too easy to blame everything under the "catch all " umbrella of mental illness.  Mental illness is a real issue and it is diagnosed.  It shouldn't be used as an excuse for everything. 

If a person is unable to cope in everyday life, that is a mental illness. This person needs help.  To have so many issues they feel they need to lash out at others they perceive have hurt them is mental illness.  What would you discribe it as?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Well said, Biancardi.

What gets me about this kind of thing, beyond the obvious reality-based 'causes' of the problem is just the pure repugnancy of having to take out other people before you shoot yourself.  That is so beyond narcisisstic and cruel.

If somebody wants to kill themself, that's their business.  It's their body.   Knock yourself out (I get it).  But the need to kill others, usually completely innocent people, first is so horrid that I don't even think I have the right words.

When a person is in incredible pain, they want others to feel as bad as they do.

Hmmm...thanks for giving me something to think about, VaBelle.    I cannot connect with that yet but I'm going to mull it over.

I have PTSD and severe clinical depression.  I have attempted suicide a number of times in the past.  Maybe I've had momentary thoughts that I'd like to kill my mother.  But I never took it beyond a fleeting thought.  I guess I can see the sentiment, to a degree.  Smiley Happy

For me, I guess a lot of it is this - it's not so wrong to kill yourself but it is REALLY wrong to kill a person, from whom you are not having to defend yourself or somebody else.  These are usually innocent people who didn't even cause their despair so I guess that's where the break is for me.

Thanks for helping me get my brain going this morning.  I was having a hard time engaging, probably due to lack of sleep and - well, stuff.  Smiley Happy

But in his mind, they were the cause of his firing.  If you read his FB entries, he said the cameraman complained about him the first day they worked together and he filed an EEOC charge against the reporter because she said something to him.  In his mind, they had jobs and he was fired.

Does it make sense?  Not to me.  But in his mind, in his pain, it was what he felt he needed to do.

In the end, lives were lost in a senseless way.  In the coming days, the media will try to assign blame from all angles to keep the story alive during this slow news time because that's what they do.

All I can do is learn from this as a professional and pray for everyone touched by this and vote to fix things in the future.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Prayers for all those affected by this horrendous act.  The perp's manifesto to ABC stated that the Charlotte church shooting was his biggest motivator.  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

When you have reached the end of your career (and I would submit that men do value their self-worth based on their careers and career success), and you feel you have nothing to lose, you don't necessarily think clearly.

And it's very easy to say to yourself, this is how I'm going out.  Like the guy before me.

well said - it is too easy to blame everything under the "catch all " umbrella of mental illness.  Mental illness is a real issue and it is diagnosed.  It shouldn't be used as an excuse for everything. 

If a person is unable to cope in everyday life, that is a mental illness. This person needs help.  To have so many issues they feel they need to lash out at others they perceive have hurt them is mental illness.  What would you discribe it as?

Again, we can call anything mental illness if need be.  It would have be diagnosed as mental illness and specific type of illness to really be called that

People  get depressed sometimes, that doesn't mean they have a mental illness.  If someone commits a horrible crime during a blue period in their life, that doesn't mean they are mentally ill.  I find that people are using the phrase of mental illness for every crime out there, to excuse it off instead of dealing with other issues.  Sometimes, it has nothing to do with mental illness.  Sometimes, it just has to do with a person's anger and temperament and they are not crazy.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

@VAbelle wrote:

Prayers for all those affected by this horrendous act.  The perp's manifesto to ABC stated that the Charlotte church shooting was his biggest motivator.  

this speaks of revenge - payback - for what happened then.
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
Esteemed Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Again, we can call anything mental illness if need be.  It would have be diagnosed as mental illness and specific type of illness to really be called that

People  get depressed sometimes, that doesn't mean they have a mental illness.  If someone commits a horrible crime during a blue period in their life, that doesn't mean they are mentally ill.  I find that people are using the phrase of mental illness for every crime out there, to excuse it off instead of dealing with other issues.  Sometimes, it has nothing to do with mental illness.  Sometimes, it just has to do with a person's anger and temperament and they are not crazy.

OK so if it is undiagnosed, it is not mental illness.  Got it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I understand the male ego being attached to careers and success but that can only go so far.  There are other things to concern oneself with as well.  Health, family, happiness.  I know a number of males who worked, retired, or changed careers mid-life and found other ways to positively fill in their time. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

OK so if it is undiagnosed, it is not mental illness.  Got it.

You know that people will just call other people crazy just because they do not conform to society norms.  They does not mean they are mentally ill.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Not necessarily.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Everyone here is processing this in their own way and trying to make sense of it.

There is no need to pick fights and chop each other up over this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN