Honored Contributor

Re: WARNING !!!!! Today's TSV puts you at risk!

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@ChillyTulip wrote:

The banks don't hold you liable but if you've ever had your debit card stolen and your checking account wiped out you realize what a HUGE issue it is . . . .especially if you have checks bounce and recurring bills that do not get paid due to lack of funds.  Add to that the bounced check fees, late fees, etc., and it can become a nightmare.

I don't know about your bank - but my debit card is protected just like a credit card. NO liability at all.

I think stories like the one you just related are meant to scare people...

And sell worthless wallets!

Your bank protects your debit card but if you have outstanding checks that bounce, will they take care of all those fees?  If you have recurring bills that aren't able to pull and the company charges you a fee, will your bank take care of all of that?  You might want to check on that.  When my card was stolen, I had 2 checks bounce and while my bank replaced all my money and reversed the charges THEY charged for the bounced checks, they did nothing about the $60.00 in charges I incurred from the 2 companies I wrote a "bad check" to.

And regardless of whether your bank protects you or not, it's a hassle.  There are calls that have to be made, paperwork that has to be filled out and if this happens on a weekend, you could end up with little to no money all weekend.

I'd like to add to this ''no liability at all" and "why would I even bother" attitude expressed by some, that each time there are fraudulent charges on credit cards, or accounts emptied out, you ARE paying for it.

The consumer is eating the cost of all those stolen numbers and lost merchandise and the banks covering your losses. It comes in the form of higher fees, higher prices for goods and services, etc.

It is really a more modern method of shoplifting, and anything anyone does to protect themselves (and the public in general) from this happening is helping keep costs and fees down. 

It is rather selfish and naive to just brush off the idea that protecting your cards from this kind of theft is just for the bank to pay for and clean up. You shirk your responsibility if you don't protect your accounts.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Lila4Now wrote:

The whole idea is marketing to people's fear.  At some point, you have to remove your card from your wallet.  A crook can get your info then.

Someone got my AmEx card number in Queens and got a crown at the dentist...and some clothes from Century 21.

I wasn't liable for anything...AmEx contacted ME. The new card came via FedEx the next day.

How dumb can someone be to charge a crown on a stolen credit card? 

The woman at AmEx laughed and said at least it went to a good cause! It wasn't wasted on stuff from Tiffany's. I imagine the thief was in pain and pretty desperate...and bought 2 dresses for $80 after the dental work to celebrate.

Well after she got her crown she needed some dresses to feel like a queen.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

Your credit card is probably out of the case for only 30 seconds or so.  The skimmers are everywhere these days so I would strongly recommend using some type of rfid protection.  Even if you don't like this credit card holder, there are small envelopes, etc. that will offer protection while you are out walking around with your cc in your purse.

I did buy the case.  I'm giving one as a gift, I think.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister had her CC stolen and the thief, among other things, ordered a pizza from Domino's delivered to his house!  My siser called the Domino's, got the delivery address and gave it to the police! 

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Esteemed Contributor

@Maxine49 wrote:

My sister had her CC stolen and the thief, among other things, ordered a pizza from Domino's delivered to his house!  My siser called the Domino's, got the delivery address and gave it to the police! 

Brilliant!

Honored Contributor

@Maxine49 wrote:

This belongs on knuckleheads in the news.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, these new CHIPS I am told generate new codes each time they are used and are hard to duplicate.  I finally found someone online working for a credit card company who knew the answer.  They did not think the RFID wallet craze would be necessary.  Of course I could have talked to the  wrong person and they could have been wrong.  

Frequent Contributor

Just ordered a set this morning.  I'll have to think about whether I really want it now or not.  It seemed useful for only those credit/debit cards I use often.  Thank you for the heads up.