Esteemed Contributor

Re: WARNING !!!!! Today's TSV puts you at risk!

QUESTION:  I have cards with the new chip on them.  Do they have a special extra protection and do not need the RFID wallet.  Can they be scanned and information taken from them.  If they can what is the big deal with adding special chips to cards.  Anyone know????

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Lila4Now wrote:

The whole idea is marketing to people's fear.  At some point, you have to remove your card from your wallet.  A crook can get your info then.

Someone got my AmEx card number in Queens and got a crown at the dentist...and some clothes from Century 21.

I wasn't liable for anything...AmEx contacted ME. The new card came via FedEx the next day.

How dumb can someone be to charge a crown on a stolen credit card? 

That person should have gotten a dunce cap instead of a crown, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

All I can say is that it happened to us, 4+ years ago. Hubby & Son went to the movies and the scammer skimmed his CC info - actually, it was his Debit Card tied to our Bank Account. It also happened to his boss @ the same theater - they hacked his AMEX card. Nobody knew back then about the dangers of RFID chips. Several weeks later, we were in Boston over the long Labor Day weekend, with our Daughter + GrandD. Hubby went to pay for KFC Meal to bring to Daughters workplace for her & her coworkers, and his card was declined. I paid for the meal with another CC. When we got to her workplace, our Son (who was at home, he received the call) called my cellphone and told me to call our bank. The Fraud detection services saw our activity, going up to Boston, and having several charges - they knew we were there. However, the thief (who skimmed DH's card and apparently reproduced it) used it in Kissimmee FL @ a Target Store to purchase $600 in electronics ! The Bank immediately FROZE our account, and it would remain that way until we returned home. Well, we were babysitting our GrandD while Daughter went up to Quebec to visit her BF that Friday after work, and she would be returning on Tuesday... So we had to creatively find a way to buy Food to feed the 3 of us, and to fund a trip to Gloucester for GrandD. We went to the Stop & Shop, I bought groceries with a check, and wrote it for enough over to get cash for that, as well as gas/tolls on the way home. The store mgr. approved it, because i was a customer of a Sister Store (Martins). In the meantime, we had several AutoPay Bills that were linked to our Bank Account that were not immediately paid...On Wednesday Morning, the first thing we did was go to the Bank and sign the paperwork to get our account back in order. THAT EXPERIENCE was a total hassle...My advice to everyone is 1) to have cash on hand, if you are traveling, 2) Notify your bank if you're going out of State, and 3) keep your Cards in an RFID protective Wallet. Lastly, make sure your bank has your contact info -- cellphone #s + email to contact you, just in case there is a Breach. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only take the  CC I am going to use that day with me.   I leave THe rest at home.

Lost my wallet once and what a hassle.  Was not liable.

Early this year I left my wallet  on the back of the car and did not realize it until two hours later, I was at th gym.  I retraced my route by car, but no luck.  

FORTY minutes before closing I went to the bank to close the checking acct., because my checkbook was in  My wallet.  A voice in my head kept  saying, call gym.  At the bank I did and they had  My wallet.  A one hundred dollar bill was in it and still there.  A member had found it in parking lot and turned it in to the front desk.

I was blessed, but at the same time could not understand why these young cutegirls did not call me.  I,m a member and in their computer.  Two people could open the wallet,  look at the name and call.  That is what we did back in the day if we found a wallet.  Also I asked who turned it in,so I could give them a reward, but they could not give me the name, they did not ask. Now it was my fault, but why not let the person know?  You know you would panicked. 

Also I have SS direct and everything had to be re applied for direct deposit including my direct on my HMO. 

Valued Contributor

I loved the wallet and bought it for it's function, not for the protection.  Yes it may be really easy to steal someone's information, after all as they keep mentioning anyone can just download an app and bam!  But most people, even though we could download the app and easily steal other people's identity, won't do it because we know that it is a serious crime.  So just because it can be done easily, doesn't mean that it's done all the time.  Just another aspect of their misleading presentations and scare tactics...

Honored Contributor

@mattag wrote:

The LODIS SET OF 2  credit card cases do NOT offer complete RFID protection! The area where you would put your driver's license is NOT protected ! If you put a hotel key, DL, ETC in the ID window, it is vulnerable. QVC sells ID STRONGHOLD and RFID PROTECTION IS THEIR SOLE BUSINESS and their leather is beautiful. Be careful you don't get scammed because you fell for this product.

Well, this is your very first post and you're bashing a vendor .... work for a competitor, maybe?

Super Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@ChillyTulip wrote:

The banks don't hold you liable but if you've ever had your debit card stolen and your checking account wiped out you realize what a HUGE issue it is . . . .especially if you have checks bounce and recurring bills that do not get paid due to lack of funds.  Add to that the bounced check fees, late fees, etc., and it can become a nightmare.

I don't know about your bank - but my debit card is protected just like a credit card. NO liability at all.

I think stories like the one you just related are meant to scare people...

And sell worthless wallets!

I don't understand why you would reply in such a way to Chilly Tulip when she was just telling her personal experience. While it is true that the bank will most likely refund your money, they still conduct an investigation. In the meantime, like she said, when a debit card that has been compromised, it can cause all kinds of problems if you have outstanding checks, etc and you only have enough in your checking account to cover those checks.

If you don't care for the wallet that's one thing but what she said wasn't meant to "scare people" as you claim, it happens to people everyday. As a matter of fact, it happened to me 2 weeks ago. 

In your next post you talk about fraud on your Amex card. If there are fraudulent charges on your credit card it doesn't affect your day to day living expenses pending an investigation as it does with a debit card linked to your checking account.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

QUESTION:  I have cards with the new chip on them.  Do they have a special extra protection and do not need the RFID wallet.  Can they be scanned and information taken from them.  If they can what is the big deal with adding special chips to cards.  Anyone know????

I believe the chip enabled cards are reducing card fraud overall by making it difficult for scammers to create phony cards from numbers they access. Harder to duplicate a card with a chip, easier when it was just a magnetic strip. 

The European market have changed over to the chip card a number of years ago and the US has delayed the change because it is a huge cost to merchants to upgrade. That change is just now ramping up.

Esteemed Contributor

The reason I do not buy these is this, when you take your debit/credit card out to use them the thug can scan the card because its not in the wallet anymore being covered. So I don't get the whole thing.

But anyway we don't go out shopping as much as others. DH and I mostly shop at home during the holiday season, and our banks watch over use and call if there's odd or high charges of activity on our accounts.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@ChillyTulip wrote:

The banks don't hold you liable but if you've ever had your debit card stolen and your checking account wiped out you realize what a HUGE issue it is . . . .especially if you have checks bounce and recurring bills that do not get paid due to lack of funds.  Add to that the bounced check fees, late fees, etc., and it can become a nightmare.

I don't know about your bank - but my debit card is protected just like a credit card. NO liability at all.

I think stories like the one you just related are meant to scare people...

And sell worthless wallets!

Your bank protects your debit card but if you have outstanding checks that bounce, will they take care of all those fees?  If you have recurring bills that aren't able to pull and the company charges you a fee, will your bank take care of all of that?  You might want to check on that.  When my card was stolen, I had 2 checks bounce and while my bank replaced all my money and reversed the charges THEY charged for the bounced checks, they did nothing about the $60.00 in charges I incurred from the 2 companies I wrote a "bad check" to.

And regardless of whether your bank protects you or not, it's a hassle.  There are calls that have to be made, paperwork that has to be filled out and if this happens on a weekend, you could end up with little to no money all weekend.