Esteemed Contributor

Re: WALGREEN'S TO CLOSE SAN FRANCISCO STORES BECAUSE OF STEALING

@Cats3000 wrote:

@gertrudecloset The SF Supervisor is an idiot.  Don't want the stores to close?  Clean up the City.  Don't put the onus on the businesses.

@Cats3000 

I wouldn't know.  I have no voting rights there.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I don't want to get poofed but i will just say that voters need to take responsibility for what they vote for.

I appreciate that too.  If you get the thread poofed you can't have your say (within forum guidelines) @Snoopp .

Too many threads where good discussions can take place go poof because some can't control themselves.

Respected Contributor

SF is no longer the gorgeous city it once was. A city that supports theft and pooping on the streets is not one I want to visit anymore.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

SF is no longer the gorgeous city it once was. A city that supports theft and pooping on the streets is not one I want to visit anymore.

It's a city.  Like many cities in our country urban living where homeless people congregate can have a multitutde of problems @Jacie .  The thefts didn't just start, surely you know that, right?  It has become more common place that what used to be done under the cover of darkness is being done in the daylight.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset just saying I will no longer spend my money there. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@gertrudecloset just saying I will no longer spend my money there. 

@Jacie  You do what you gotta.  I don't know anything about San Francisco.  I don't live in California. 

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

So sad to hear this. My sister is on a business trip in SanFran today. She sent me pictures of the area where she is and it is breathtaking. I have seen certain items here at our Walgreens that are literally chained to the shelves behind plexiglass doors. And that's not even drugs! Organized theft is scary, but if this continues, it hurts everyone, even the criminals; guess they aren't smart enough to realize that. 

San francisco is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  Thereare bad areas like anycity....but the beauty is astounding

Trusted Contributor

I am a person very familiar with San Francisco.  I lived there for two years many decades ago, before I was married. I grew up across the bay, and going to the City

was something we did often, even for just dinner.

My great grandparents were married in SF; my father

lived in SF as a youngster.  I have deep roots in The SF Bay Area. 

Today:

An immediate family member and his family live in SF now.

They bought a home six years ago, and absolutely love it there.  Their children attend public school there, and they

are involved parents.  I have asked them if they would ever want to move, and both parents say, "NO! We love it here."

The gentleman next door sold his home because he was

in his eighties, and moved to live with a relative.

Who bought the home?  A family from the mid-west:

with two young daughters.  I have asked them how they

like it there, and all of them have smiled and basically

said: are you kidding...we love it!

People have left the City often because they want to buy a home, and the prices now are prohibitive.  Many have moved to Sacramento, Fresno, or other areas more affordable.  This has been going on for decades.  And now that homes are in the $1.5 million plus, buying a first home is for the well off.

When we visit, we frequent the local grocers, restaurants,

and stores.  People know each other are friendly and

community oriented.

Does SF have problems?  Yes, there are issues with homeless, which is all over our coasts due to our

services as well as mild climate.  Even in Monterey,

there are homeless, and in our suburban shopping center we have begun to see a few. 

As far as SF "supporting" shoplifting.  That is ridiculous.

The Walgreens problems have been all over the local news for months. 

And by the way, a Walgreens in a nice neighborhood closed less than a year ago in Berkeley.  Every time I

went in to buy a few items, it had very few customers and

seemed like it was not doing well as a business.

The large supermarkets with pharmacies and drug store products had made Walgreens

less appealing as an option. The building is now being

designed for gym/rock climbing facility.

A lot of the comments here are thinly disguised SF bashing for political reasons. 

One of our sons travels a lot, and he has come home with commentary about a few places he has said are just

"awful".  None of these places are in CA or the west coast.

And, by the way, there are a few neighborhoods in SF that have always been unsafe.  This goes back as far as I can remember.  So waxing nostalgic about how SF used to be, is not completely accurate.

Super Contributor

There has always been shoplifting, but in SF, the problem exploded when city officials announced in the media that shoplifting would be tolerated for amounts less than $950.  To deny that is ridiculous.   As another poster mentioned, the citizens of that city need to take responsibility for who they voted for.  The entire 'defund the police' movement got the ball rolling.  They need to get old-fashioned law and order politicians to run that city and the problem would be cleaned up in no time. Meanwhile the innocent people suffer. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What did they think would happen? This is the result of people  holding up criminals as heroes