Esteemed Contributor

WALGREEN'S TO CLOSE SAN FRANCISCO STORES BECAUSE OF STEALING

Walgreens said it will close five more stores in San Francisco next month because of organized retail theft in another blow to a city that has earned an embarrassing reputation for widespread shoplifting.

The stores will close next month, SFGATE reported. It said Walgreens has closed at least 10 stores in the city since 2019. "Retail theft across our San Francisco stores has continued to increase in the past few months to five times our chain average" despite large increases in security, Walgreens spokesperson Phil Caruso said.

San Francisco Supervisor Ahsha Safai said he was devastated by the loss of a Mission Street store that "has been a staple for seniors, families and children for decades."

"This is a sad day for San Francisco," Safai told SFGATE. "We can't continue to let these anchor institutions close that so many people rely on."

more at CBSnews . com

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: WALGREEN'S TO CLOSE SAN FRANCISCO STORES BECAUSE OF STEALING

[ Edited ]

Yes, heard this a few days ago, dont blame them one bit. But so sad for the good citizens who need the convenience of a neighborhood drug store. 

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset San Francisco needs the convenience of neighborhood stores. This is a real problem for residents. 

I saw a similar story about the gentleman trying to stop the professional shop lifting rings from hitting CVS and some other stores. It reported these stores are losing $45 billion annually to these criminals. I just can't remember where I saw it. Some of the stolen merchandise was being sold on Amazon.

Everyone is being impacted by these people. I hope they can get the situation under control before more stores close.

Trusted Contributor

So sad to hear this. My sister is on a business trip in SanFran today. She sent me pictures of the area where she is and it is breathtaking. I have seen certain items here at our Walgreens that are literally chained to the shelves behind plexiglass doors. And that's not even drugs! Organized theft is scary, but if this continues, it hurts everyone, even the criminals; guess they aren't smart enough to realize that. 

Respected Contributor

Is this a reflection of SF's cost-of-living, especially housing?

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3  It's so hard to wrap my mind around news like this. What is wrong with people today? We have 4 Walgreen's in our city and I've never heard of things as bad as this. I am not saying there isn't shop lifting going on. I am sure all retail has issues with that. It's very sad to see how this will affect so many people. 

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3  No. It's the consequences of San Francisco's reluctance to prosecute shoplifters. I would say more, but the monitors wouldn't like it.

Respected Contributor

This is so sad for San Francisco.  I have heard that shoplifting has increased around the country.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday in WinnDixie in my south Florida neighborhood, to buy batteries for my new flashlights I had to make a separate purchase at the office where only the employees can reach them.

Respected Contributor

Are the goods being sold at farmers or flea markets? Or openly on the street? 

Is it a case of knowing who in your neighborhood has a supply?

Obviously there's a market for well-discounted drug store items.