Respected Contributor

WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THIS ONE !

Let me start by saying it's been a bad winter, to cold and to much snow. Yesterday I was leaving my home to visit my mom, started my car when suddenly it started to idle very rough, the check engine light came on, started flashing off and on with a message to check the stability track. I was very concerned of course and took it straight to a chevy dealer who happened to be close to my home. I was sitting in the waiting room for a diagnosis when the service rep came and got me because he wanted to show me what they found. We walked up to the car, looked under hood and there was a huge rodent nest sitting right on top of the motor. I was shocked! The service rep and the mechanic explained that because of the cold snowy winter we are having even the rodents are looking for a warm place to stay. Luckily they hadn't chewed on any wires and the problem was not due to the rodents. Car fixed, $467 for a spark plug and something else then back on the road again after 2 1/2 hrs at the dealer shop. I now have moth balls in my carport and something called Fresh cab taped to the motor to keep them away because they don't like the smell.  Anyone else have problems like this during this winter season? Apparently from the dealer, they have seen this happen a lot this winter and some wires have been chewed causing hundreds of dollars in repair.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THIS ONE !

So glad u got it taken care of. I would have freaked out.

Honored Contributor

I have hard of this via the internet stories but I have not been told of anyone personally that this has happened to them.

Glad your dealership was able to repair the problem and get you back on the road again

Esteemed Contributor

Decluttered my garage and I keep both cars inside.  However, as we were "making the garage new again," I noticed lots of places that mice were living.  So I imagine it was  a  matter of time before my cars would be victims also. We did clean everything out.  

Honored Contributor

Where I am (NE) it's a constant battle to keep mice out of our cars in the garage.

I'm always on the alert for any signs of mouse invasions and have electronic traps set nearby.  When I see that they've been in my car, I vacuum everything out and put cotton balls soaked in pure peppermint oil in the footwells, back and front.  Also in the trunk space, on top of the air filter and anywhere else I can think of.  There is nowhere they won't get into.

Anyone who doesn't like the smell of peppermint (strong), needs to find a ride with someone else!

Respected Contributor

Wow! How disgusting.How long since you started it last?

Respected Contributor

Venezia wrote:

Where I am (NE) it's a constant battle to keep mice out of our cars in the garage.

I'm always on the alert for any signs of mouse invasions and have electronic traps set nearby.  When I see that they've been in my car, I vacuum everything out and put cotton balls soaked in pure peppermint oil in the footwells, back and front.  Also in the trunk space, on top of the air filter and anywhere else I can think of.  There is nowhere they won't get into.

Anyone who doesn't like the smell of peppermint (strong), needs to find a ride with someone else!

Oh my !! I hope they have not been in my car, haven't seen any signs, hope I don't .  The stuff called Fresh cab comes in packets of 4 in a box so along with taping one on my motor, I put a  couple of packets in my shed and my screened in back porch.  A friend recommended it and says it works well, they haven't seen any signs of rodents. I'm in St. Louis
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hellie jo wrote:

The OP has said she was going to her mother's house.  I doubt it had been that long since she drove her car.  Mice building a nest in the engine or on top of it generally won't cause an issue; as long as they don't chew any wiring.

If you've never dealt with mice getting into your car, you have no idea how fast it can happen.  I drive my car pretty much every day and they still get in - and it's kept in the garage!

There's nothing "disgusting" about it.  It's nature and it happens.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  - Did the Fresh Cab say it was okay to tape it to the motor?  I'm not sure what you mean by that, but just make sure it's not somewhere that the heat from the engine might set it alight.

I'm not trying to scare you; just trying to make sure it's taped away from the actual engine block, if there's anything flammable in it.  I've never heard of Fresh Cab but I'll look it up.  Any extra tools in the arsenal to defeat the little rodents is okay with me!

Respected Contributor

Hellie wrote:

I drive my suv everyday !  Just had a oil change 2 weeks ago so the hood was opened then. I took a picture of it with my cell phone, my daughter was shocked at the size.