@Mominohio wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.

I understand the dangers, and problems that might come with it, but I hate to think where we'd be had the average citizen not stepped forward, one at a time in the 1770's to state what they belived in and to make a stand. Things like courage and solidarity never go out of style.

...but muskets and sword fighting did go outof style. 

We live in a different world now.  Advocating "average citizens" arm themselves (with automatic weapons, no doubt) and hanging out in public places just in case is asking for disaster.

Americans can't legally own automatic weapons without a special permit from ATF. Not sure why people so often jump to claims of automatic weapons when discussing the right to bear arms. Open carry is also legal in most states, and no permit is required to do so. 

OK. SEMI-automatic weapons with large ammunition capacities.  The kinds of weapons we/ve seen in some of the recent tragedies.  OK?  The point is, today's weapons are eons different than what they were in 1776.  They do much more damage, with much less effort.

Which is why they are so good putting food on the table and defending your family, property and the nation. They are also legal. 

Not my table. Not my property

Private citizens are not defending my family or this nation.

Legal? Yes.  A part of my world? Absolutely not.

Some day you may wish they were, I hope not, but perhaps if one of us should find ouselves in that church or that public place, those kooky wacko conceald carry second amendment proponents might just save our lives.  But good luck on your own. Maybe wit and wisdom will work better for you.

Sarcasm duly noted.

Wit and wisdom are attributes to be proud of. They enable one to have the ability to have a civil discourse on a sensitive topic.

But not likely to stop a bullet wielding gunman, intent to kill. 

So many Americans think we can compromise our way out of any and all situations these days, but we cannot. Those truly against us, or those with destructive mental issues aren't swayed by reason, or wit or wisdom. It takes more sometimes, and unfortunately, that requires weapons that take their lives, before they take ours.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers

Esteemed Contributor

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

I think we already live in a country where people like to play with guns. The criminals play, if a citizen wants to protect themselves, that's fine by me. 

Of course there are people who shouldn't have guns but there are also people who are responsible and I totally trust.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yankee2000 wrote:

My husband carries also and wouldn't hesitate to protect the innocent should the situation arise.  He was once a Marine and always a Marine. Semper Fi

My husband was in the Marines also, they are a proud bunch!  Thank you to your husband for his service.   

Thank you to your husband for his service in the Marines.  Yes they are a proud bunch and we couldn't be prouder!!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Off topic - controversial - gun control.

Honored Contributor

Ever hear of friendly fire! How many soldiers have been killed in the line of duty when the there's confusion during a fire fight, and these men are trained profeessionals. I do not agree that concerned citizens should be armed and in public places. Let's thank our soldiers and their families with our tax dollars so they can go to school, get good jobs and get medical and psychological care they need and deserve.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There were 2 facilities under attack, the recruitment center and the reserves training center.

I want to repeat what I said earlier -- the soldiers who were killed were in the reserves center and they were armed.  They did fire on the coward, and they very likely saved others as did the armed law enforcement officers.  Heroes in my book.

The recruitment center was a case of a storefront being riddled with fire with no notice, and then the shooter speeding away.  Being armed in a recruitment center fired upon by a person in a car who then immediately drove away wouldn't have helped.  If the person enters the facility (as happened with the reserves center), then certainly it can make a huge difference.

Those who are trying to stand in defense in front of storefront facilities on private property might be doing a bit of personal grandstanding (sorry, but it does happen) but most of them do so because they want to do something to make things better and this was their first thought. 

I'm not at all sure the first thought is the best. 

They're making themselves targets for snipers, they're not necessarily trained to deal with the kind of attack they want to protect others from, and they're on private property (which opens a new kettle of liability fish) in a case in which we don't know if this incident was isolated and will never happen again. 

(By the way, in Tennessee the National Guard recruiters temporarily have been moved to local armories, so they're no longer on private property.)

I think the solution would be for our military to be armed (again, as they were in the reserves center) and also for their facilities to avoid vulnerabilities such as sitting behind open glass doors and windows in a public place on private property.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry to see my post was deleted- I still stand by my opinions, as other's do.  The powers that be, is there an explanation to why it was deleted when this conversation still continues?   Said nothing wrong, only stated my opinion..

Thank you..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee