Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,258
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


We don't necessarily know who they are, so that could be quite scary.  


I would think it would be fairly easy........if they are firing a gun into a crowd, church, military facility or building.........they are who you're looking out for.......return fire...............raven

*****************************************************

 

SMH on that.



___________________________________________________________________

SMH too, Lila.

 

Life is not a movie.  "Returning fire" isn't like a movie where they all just take turns shooting at each other and the bullets never go anywhere but straight. Having a fire fight in a public place equals many dead  innocent bystanders.  


Though I do not have a conceal carry permit, I know a number of people who do and also know a former deputy sheriff who teaches a conceal carry class and also teaches basic firearm skills.  I've had many a lengthy discussion with him.  He is down to earth,  has quite a head on his shoulders and he is very serious about what he does.

 

In light of current mass occurrences and the "volunteer" situation, I asked for his take, because I highly value his opinion.  The one point that really stuck with me is that these folks are quite likely to hit their target because they are included in a population that frequents gun ranges to practice at various distances, the most critical, he states, being between 7 and 10 feet.

 

And, aside from recruiting offices in malls, most of these volunteers are standing on public sidewalks in front of recruiting offices.  They are not brandishing weapons, but have them at the ready.  Honestly, I don't think most people know how serious minded and down-to-earth these folks are.  They are not crazies out there to create mayhem.  It's the perps who are the crazies out to create mayhem and worse.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,517
Registered: ‎09-18-2014

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


I understand the dangers, and problems that might come with it, but I hate to think where we'd be had the average citizen not stepped forward, one at a time in the 1770's to state what they belived in and to make a stand. Things like courage and solidarity never go out of style.


__________________________________________________________________

...but muskets and sword fighting did go outof style. 

 

We live in a different world now.  Advocating "average citizens" arm themselves (with automatic weapons, no doubt) and hanging out in public places just in case is asking for disaster.


Americans can't legally own automatic weapons without a special permit from ATF. Not sure why people so often jump to claims of automatic weapons when discussing the right to bear arms. Open carry is also legal in most states, and no permit is required to do so. 


___________________________________________________________________

OK. SEMI-automatic weapons with large ammunition capacities.  The kinds of weapons we/ve seen in some of the recent tragedies.  OK?  The point is, today's weapons are eons different than what they were in 1776.  They do much more damage, with much less effort.


Which is why they are so good putting food on the table and defending your family, property and the nation. They are also legal. 


_______________________________________________________________

Not my table. Not my property

Private citizens are not defending my family or this nation.

Legal? Yes.  A part of my world? Absolutely not.

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎03-25-2015

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@raven-blackbird wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


We don't necessarily know who they are, so that could be quite scary.  


I would think it would be fairly easy........if they are firing a gun into a crowd, church, military facility or building.........they are who you're looking out for.......return fire...............raven


I agree raven.  My husband carries and would not hesitate to protect the innocent should the situation arise. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,958
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


I understand the dangers, and problems that might come with it, but I hate to think where we'd be had the average citizen not stepped forward, one at a time in the 1770's to state what they belived in and to make a stand. Things like courage and solidarity never go out of style.


__________________________________________________________________

...but muskets and sword fighting did go outof style. 

 

We live in a different world now.  Advocating "average citizens" arm themselves (with automatic weapons, no doubt) and hanging out in public places just in case is asking for disaster.


Americans can't legally own automatic weapons without a special permit from ATF. Not sure why people so often jump to claims of automatic weapons when discussing the right to bear arms. Open carry is also legal in most states, and no permit is required to do so. 


Now, Jax mom, let's not confuse the issue with facts! LOL Those nasty high powered 'assult weapons' and all! 

 

And bless those average citizens who do arm themselves. Apathy will be the death of this nation, and I won't be a willing participant in that apathy.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,812
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@Yankee2000 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


We don't necessarily know who they are, so that could be quite scary.  


I would think it would be fairly easy........if they are firing a gun into a crowd, church, military facility or building.........they are who you're looking out for.......return fire...............raven


I agree raven.  My husband carries and would not hesitate to protect the innocent should the situation arise. 

 

******

My husband carries also and wouldn't hesitate to protect the innocent should the situation arise.  He was once a Marine and always a Marine. Semper Fi


 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,958
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


I understand the dangers, and problems that might come with it, but I hate to think where we'd be had the average citizen not stepped forward, one at a time in the 1770's to state what they belived in and to make a stand. Things like courage and solidarity never go out of style.


__________________________________________________________________

...but muskets and sword fighting did go outof style. 

 

We live in a different world now.  Advocating "average citizens" arm themselves (with automatic weapons, no doubt) and hanging out in public places just in case is asking for disaster.


Americans can't legally own automatic weapons without a special permit from ATF. Not sure why people so often jump to claims of automatic weapons when discussing the right to bear arms. Open carry is also legal in most states, and no permit is required to do so. 


___________________________________________________________________

OK. SEMI-automatic weapons with large ammunition capacities.  The kinds of weapons we/ve seen in some of the recent tragedies.  OK?  The point is, today's weapons are eons different than what they were in 1776.  They do much more damage, with much less effort.


Which is why they are so good putting food on the table and defending your family, property and the nation. They are also legal. 


_______________________________________________________________

Not my table. Not my property

Private citizens are not defending my family or this nation.

Legal? Yes.  A part of my world? Absolutely not.


Some day you may wish they were, I hope not, but perhaps if one of us should find ouselves in that church or that public place, those kooky wacko conceald carry second amendment proponents might just save our lives.  But good luck on your own. Maybe wit and wisdom will work better for you.

Super Contributor
Posts: 1,520
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers

I find their presence awe inspiring. Just like the Minute Men of old who left their fields and rushed with their guns to the battle. God bless them!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,517
Registered: ‎09-18-2014

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@mominohio wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


I understand the dangers, and problems that might come with it, but I hate to think where we'd be had the average citizen not stepped forward, one at a time in the 1770's to state what they belived in and to make a stand. Things like courage and solidarity never go out of style.


__________________________________________________________________

...but muskets and sword fighting did go outof style. 

 

We live in a different world now.  Advocating "average citizens" arm themselves (with automatic weapons, no doubt) and hanging out in public places just in case is asking for disaster.


Americans can't legally own automatic weapons without a special permit from ATF. Not sure why people so often jump to claims of automatic weapons when discussing the right to bear arms. Open carry is also legal in most states, and no permit is required to do so. 


___________________________________________________________________

OK. SEMI-automatic weapons with large ammunition capacities.  The kinds of weapons we/ve seen in some of the recent tragedies.  OK?  The point is, today's weapons are eons different than what they were in 1776.  They do much more damage, with much less effort.


Which is why they are so good putting food on the table and defending your family, property and the nation. They are also legal. 


_______________________________________________________________

Not my table. Not my property

Private citizens are not defending my family or this nation.

Legal? Yes.  A part of my world? Absolutely not.


Some day you may wish they were, I hope not, but perhaps if one of us should find ouselves in that church or that public place, those kooky wacko conceald carry second amendment proponents might just save our lives.  But good luck on your own. Maybe wit and wisdom will work better for you.


_________________________________________________________________

Sarcasm duly noted.

Wit and wisdom are attributes to be proud of. They enable one to have the ability to have a civil discourse on a sensitive topic.

~Enough is enough~
QVC Customer Care
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers

Super Contributor
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎03-25-2015

Re: Volunteers Guard Recruitment Centers


@orangegarnet wrote:

@Yankee2000 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I don't think it's appropiate for citizens to do no matter how well intentioned.


We don't necessarily know who they are, so that could be quite scary.  


I would think it would be fairly easy........if they are firing a gun into a crowd, church, military facility or building.........they are who you're looking out for.......return fire...............raven


I agree raven.  My husband carries and would not hesitate to protect the innocent should the situation arise. 

 

******

My husband carries also and wouldn't hesitate to protect the innocent should the situation arise.  He was once a Marine and always a Marine. Semper Fi


 


My husband was in the Marines also, they are a proud bunch!  Thank you to your husband for his service.