Contributor

We live outside our city limits and although we have never needed assistance, last Sunday night we found ourselves in the middle of a serious emergency situation. Our electricity went out, due to strong winds that caused sparks from the power lines that went down, to cause a massive fire in our hay fields adjacent to our home and that of a field next to our property. The quick actions of our Volunteer Fire Department saved our home. They were on the scene in extreme cold and wind for hours. A huge "thank you" to anyone who is a volunteer that assists in any emergency situation. The fire flared up again Wed. pm (3 days from the original fire) and they were back on the scene within minutes. We were so very appreciative of all of their efforts and want to say"Thank You" to anyone who serves in this capacity.

Honored Contributor
Do you lend your support financially?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

In our rural area of southern WV, the only paid firefighters are in the city, and all surrounding areas are serviced by volunteer squads. All funding for the volunteer squads is through the county, and taxpayers are assessed a modest yearly fee which is divided among the departments.

Honored Contributor
when we lived in pa we had volunteer fireman - people don't realize that they undergo extensive training and dedicate a lot of their time - sometimes to the dismay of their families - to being a volunteer fireman. One thanksgiving my neice's DH was called out 3 times - once during dinner and had to get up and leave. All were fires caused by improper use of those turkey deep friers. They do deserve a lot of praise and thanks for what they do.They risk their lives for free.
Trusted Contributor

My son is a volunteer firefighter and he absolutely loves it. He is a college grad and has always wanted to become a police officer and is well on the way to making that a reality. But since he has been a volunteer firefighter he is questioning his choice. Unfortunately it is really hard to become a paid firefighter what with all the cut backs.

He is hoping to be able to still be a volunteer if he gets into the police dept.

Honored Contributor

Many volunteer firefighters can pay into a pension fund or their town does and so at least they may have that benefit.

Honored Contributor

Our volunteer Fire Department EMT'S and Paramedics saved my life when I suffered my 1st heart attack with aspiration pneumonia. Without their quick response on this and my 2nd heart attack?

They were also the first in our County to start using the 12-lead EKG. Up to that point that had been using the 6-lead, which was pretty standard for all rescue units, city our volunteer workers. With the 12-lead from me calling 911 to my Cardiologist opening up my Right Coronary Artery? Total time from the call till Stent-Angioplasty completion? 52 minutes.

Without the 12-lead that would have not been possible and with heart attacks Cardiologist will tell you "minutes are muscle", and that is referring to the heart muscle dying with each passing minute.

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Send them a generous monetary donation.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, on behalf of my oldest son. He's been a volunteer for 19 years now. Very scary for me, and his wife sometimes, but he remains as dedicated as ever.

So glad your situation was handled swiftly!

Respected Contributor

My father lived with me for 8 of the last 10 years of his life when he could no longer live alone. He then moved a few counties away and lived with my brother the last 2 years of his life when I could no longer lift/support him when he'd fall.

For the last 5 years I've sent a $100 donation to both of the VFDs who have helped us tremendously over the years while dad was alive.

I spoke with two of the guys manning the VFD nearest me - they enjoy the fellowship of the guys spending a few hours at the station and helping people. Many times the guys get together and play cards or whatever for a few hours at the station - (I'm in the country where many times VFD stations aren't always manned) - since they don't get paid, I feel a donation to their station is the least I can do.