Respected Contributor

I've been taking a low dose of Motrin daily for a while, to help control inflammation. My spine is a train wreck. When I had a particular bad episode of pain, my doc ordered the Voltaren gel. 

Interestingly, neither he, or the pharmacist could answer my question. It was: If you're on oral NSAID's, how much of the gel will go systemic, rather than providing local inflammation control? Could it add up to more than the recommended dosage?

Neither could give me a concrete answer. Yet, they seem to be prescribed together, often. I suspect if used alone and following dosing directions, it would be relatively safe. I don't feel it would have significant systemic absorption. 

I only use it if I'm having terrible days. After application, it seems to help in a couple of hours. No miracle, but some lessening of pain. But, is this because I'm already on oral meds, too? Maybe the gel is just a boost, in my case. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

My husband uses prescription Voltaren 2x a day, on a knee that cannot be surgically repaired due to other health issues.  

He takes the maximum daily dose of 2 meds for neuropathy pain, as well as a full strength aspirin, which are all noted in his chart and were considered when the Voltaren was prescribed.   

His instructions are to take his oral meds, use the Voltaren only twice daily, and not to add more than 2 Tylenol to this mix.   

Honored Contributor

I prefer Arnicare. Also available at Waimart.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Voltaren Gel Question

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sage04   I used about 3 drops rubbed it in.  It did seem to help.  Doesn't hurt at all now.  It is peppermint flavored.  Wonder if it's to be taken internally? 

@Kachina624 

Some can be taken orally.  I have RA, did not notice any releif,

but didn’t take but once.  Check label for oral use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have the one that should be taken orally. Haven´t tried it yet. One dropper full daily and it´s also good for inflamation. Maybe one day I´ll try it but I love using the liquid roll on. It works for me.

Hope you find something that works for you.