Respected Contributor

Vodka Maker Says Don't Use its Vodka as sanitizer

(First heard about  this on the radio this morning.  Reportedly, someone had  noted that it would be a waste of good vodka, anyway)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/05/coronavirus-prevention-vodka-homemade-hand-sanitizer...

This is from another news source, which I seem to recall is the Detroit Free Press:

Fears of coronavirus spreading has people stocking up on hand sanitizer. As stores ran out earlier this week, recipes for how to make your own swarmed the internet and social media.

But the do-it-yourself craze forced the makers of popular Tito's vodka to warn consumers not to use its product to make hand sanitizer.

The basic recipe is a mix of aloe vera gel and 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol, with scented essential oil an optional extra ingredient.

One of the recipes suggests using vodka and someone tweeted to popular Tito's, a Texas-based brand.

"I made some hand sanitizer out (of) your vodka. The hand sanitizer doesn't taste bad either. Cheers to Tito's vodka. Keeping me germ-free and feeling good at the same time."

Trouble is Tito's and many other vodkas don't have enough alcohol to be effective. While they may be 80 proof, the vodka is only 40% alcohol and falls short of the CDC recommendation of using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vodka Maker Says Don't Use its Vodka as sanitizer

This makes sense to me.  Love Tito's, they support my favorite charity.

Honored Contributor

Guess you could use Everclear. It's cheaper.

They used to mix everclear & lemonade or grape juice at parties when I was younger. LOL!!!

Everclear is a brand name of rectified spirit (also known as grain alcohol and neutral spirit) produced by the American company Luxco (formerly known as the David Sherman Corporation). It is made from grain and is bottled at 120, 151, 189, and 190 U.S. proof (60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95% alcohol by volume, respectively).

Valued Contributor

You can use vodka to make you no longer care about epidemics.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz 

Ahhhh.............I remember those days.............and those drinks.

Guess I didn't drink quite enough to forget either one, though. LOL!!

Honored Contributor

That's funny.  Some people are losing the bleeping minds...LOL

Trusted Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

You can use vodka to make you no longer care about epidemics.

@DearPrudence My thoughts exactly.

Seriously who really thought it it would be a good idea to use Vodka as a hand sanitzer.  What a waste.

Respected Contributor

This is what the CDC says about it: "Many studies have found that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Hand sanitizers without 60-95% alcohol 1) may not work equally well for many types of germs; and 2) merely reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them outright."

New Contributor

Was a flight attendant for 43 years.  When there was a super long line for the bathroom we would occasionally open a mini bottle of vodka for a hand sanitizer.  Hey, you do what you have to do!  LOL

Honored Contributor

I guess that somthing is a bit better than nothing at all.  

I like the idea of using the brand (Everclear?) that someone here mentioned.  The higher alcohol contents varieties.

Just in case we can't find proper sanitizers and/or don't want to use, for whatever reason, the alcohol recipe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).