Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It's an essential vitamin, and it's free.  Just go outside when the sun is shining and warm yourself up for a few minutes.

@Carmie 

That's not good advice for some of us.  My mother died of melanoma, which raises my chances of getting it by 50%.  I've already had a number of skin cancers and pre cancers removed. So I wear sunscreen 365 days a year and get my vitamin D from  a supplement.

I am super pale and besides soap and water, sun screen is the only thing I put on my skin...just on my face.

I walk my dogs every day and try to spend some time out doors as often as I can.  Of course, if somone has a medical problem or low levels of a vitamin D, they should take supplements.

Most people can absorb some Vit D from the sun.  It's not the only way, but is helpful for those who can get it the natural way.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

Just had this discussion with my PCP a during a FaceTime appt.  She said be sure to take the D3 vitamin with the day's meal that has the highest fat content.  This is so that the vitamin will be absorbed and not passed through the body.

D3 needs fat to be absorbed or you are wasting money and not achieving the desired blood level.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Vitamin D is actually a hormone but even more fascinating is that it's a steroid which acts like a hormone...technically called a steroid hormone, messengers in the body.

Respected Contributor

I am one of those folks who can't stay out in the sun longer than 6 minutes in mid-summer without starting to burn.  I even burn through my sunscreen!  So, even though I love being outdoors except when it's bitter cold here in PA, I must take a D3 supplement in order to keep my level up.  

I take 5000 IU 3 times a week.  Was taking it everyday but dr said to ease back a bit.  My number was 61 and she wanted it back to around 50.  Will see what next blood test shows.  I have to be very careful to get enough supplementation especially from Nov through March.  

Question to several of you who take 5000 IU...how often do you take that dose?  Just curious.

ETA for those who burn even though you use a sunscreen with a strong SPF, someone recommended to me to put IT foundation on and that's the first time I found I can stay out in the sun longer with NO burn! I even started using it on my arms and no burn whatsoever. Woohoo!

Valued Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It's an essential vitamin, and it's free.  Just go outside when the sun is shining and warm yourself up for a few minutes.

That doesn't necessarily work for older people.  As we age our organs don't work as efficiently as they did when younger.  Our skin is our largest organ and it doesn't absorb vitamin D and process it as well.  Many older folks are vitamin D deficient.  I spend most of my time in the summer working outside, yet my vitamin D levels remain low.  I have to take supplements all year.  My DD has to have a once a week blast of 10,000 units.

The sun is good but it's not a cure all.

@Scooby Doo @Carmie 

I have been able to stop taking Vitamin D supplements since moving to south Florida. Plenty of sun here Smiley Happy. I was previously diagnosed as deficient. I will ask my doctor to retest again down the road to see if there has been any change.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli  My husband and I take  a supplementary 5000 IU  D3 every other day.  Our multiple that we take daily also has some Vit.  D3 in it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Until 8 years ago, I had no idea how important a person's Vit. D level is. My PCP saw my extremely low level with a routine blood test back then, and she prescribed the high dosage for 6 weeks. Since then I take 2,000 units per day and my levels have been normal. Thanks for mentioning this, because it reinforces how important regular checkups and blood tests are for our overall health, including Vitamin D. Spending a few minutes each day in the sun is not the answer for a lot of us.

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

That doesn't necessarily work for older people.  As we age our organs don't work as efficiently as they did when younger.  Our skin is our largest organ and it doesn't absorb vitamin D and process it as well.  Many older folks are vitamin D deficient.  I spend most of my time in the summer working outside, yet my vitamin D levels remain low.  I have to take supplements all year.  My DD has to have a once a week blast of 10,000 units.

The sun is good but it's not a cure all.

@Scooby Doo , there is also the fact that some states don't see enough sun on a regular basis.  I live in Ohio.  Come talk to me from December through most of March about going outside to absorb sun.   

If you live north of Atlanta, the sun doesn't produce enough Vitamin C in the winter. 

It's the same here for me in Wisconsin. We're too far north.

When it's warmer, I can't tolerate being in the sun and the heat due to medications that I take.

I'm taking a supplement, too. 

When our primary care doctor first checked my D levels, they were very low. Now they're up in the normal range, at a good level.

Valued Contributor

I have been battling the Vitamin D deficiency for a few years now. It's been 18,24 and even hit 30 once after taking 5000 IU Vit D3 a day. Now I am on the prescription 50,000 IU Vit D2 once a week and 4000IU a day. Hopefully this will bring it up to an acceptable level. Doc says I don't absorb it well. I did know to take it with a meal and that it would absorb better when eaten with some fat. By the way I am a breast cancer survivor so maybe there is a link between cancer and low Vit. D levels. I will keep you posted.

Contributor

The best Vitamin D3 suplement is Andrew Lessman's.  What is sold a the drugstore and healthstore is rubbish.