Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

@Carmie 

That's not really true.  Which is why so many people are Vitamin D deficient now.  Our bodies do make Vitamin D from sunshine but it takes a half hour a day in the sunshine and that does not apply to the Northern part of the country because for 6 months of the year, the sunshine is not strong enough.  It also does not apply to people with brown skin because the darker the skin, the less we are able to make Vitamin D from the sun.  Older people also make less from sunshine and also older people don't metabolize Vitamin D well from food.  That's why everyone should have their Vitamin D levels taken when they get their yearly physicals.  Many people are deficient and don't even know it.  Vitamin D is crucial to almost every system in the body, especially bones and muscles.

Valued Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

Thank you for this info, Mindy.

Obviously, this is not all common knowledge for everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

This past February my Dr told me that my vitamin D level was low. I was told to take 1000 IU. Went back for my six month blood work and she said it was perfect. I'll get tested again next February and if it's normal I don't mind continuing  taking that amount because most people I know take 5000.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been saying this since all of the Covid dire threads began...get your immune system up with Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Zinc & quercetin among other supplements.

A good level (over 40 or higher) can help you from getting severely ill with Covid.  Is it perfect?  No but it's something one can do rather than feeling totally helpless.  It makes me angry when someone sick with Covid is told to only go home & quarantine unless they get very sick.

ETA:  Yes I did read a while ago that a good Vitamin D level helps to fight cancer.  Those with high levels are less likely to get breast cancer.

Make sure to check your Vitamin D levels when you get a Blood test!

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut  Similarly, I have taken 5,000 IU of Vit D for several years and my # is 53.  My PCP very pleased as that's exactly where I should be.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been taking 4 to 5000 a day for years.  When I walk my dog, even today the young people not wearing mask. Walking in groups.

Gov Newsom in calif. Just issued a curfew starting Sat. The 21st.  Lockdown from 10pm to 5am.  Does the virus stop other times?  He who went to a BD dinner at a famous French restaurant in Napa,ca.not wearing a mask.

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

I get migraines and see a neurologist.  5 years ago she suggested 5000 IU of D.  I've been on it ever since.

She also said they were studying its effect on cancer.

Almost everyone is low in D - especially in the fall/winter.

@tarsmom @Do you get blood testing for your Vitamin D level to ensure that it is not too high? 

@Mindy D  actually I haven't. I have a physical tomorrow so I will ask my primary care doctor.  I also do not take any Vit. D in the summer because I am outside every day.  

I alway recommend discussing supplements with your doctor first.  You can always google Vit D "how much is too much" - there's lots of articles. 

Lastly, about 5 years ago during a visit to my doctor for something else, I complained about fatigue (prior to taking D).  I had such a hard time getting going in the a.m. and thought it was just part of aging.  Dr. ordered blood work and my D level was 8.  Dr. gave me 50,000 (one pill to be taken once a week for 6 weeks) and then rechecked.  I could tell the difference right away.  

My last blood work was in June and it was excellent.  

All I know is there sure is a lot of buzz about Vitamin D - (covid, cancer, etc.)

Worth checking with one's doctor. 
Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

I get migraines and see a neurologist.  5 years ago she suggested 5000 IU of D.  I've been on it ever since.

She also said they were studying its effect on cancer.

Almost everyone is low in D - especially in the fall/winter.

@tarsmom @Do you get blood testing for your Vitamin D level to ensure that it is not too high? 

@Mindy D  actually I haven't. I have a physical tomorrow so I will ask my primary care doctor.  I also do not take any Vit. D in the summer because I am outside every day.  

I alway recommend discussing supplements with your doctor first.  You can always google Vit D "how much is too much" - there's lots of articles. 

Lastly, about 5 years ago during a visit to my doctor for something else, I complained about fatigue (prior to taking D).  I had such a hard time getting going in the a.m. and thought it was just part of aging.  Dr. ordered blood work and my D level was 8.  Dr. gave me 50,000 (one pill to be taken once a week for 6 weeks) and then rechecked.  I could tell the difference right away.  

My last blood work was in June and it was excellent.  

All I know is there sure is a lot of buzz about Vitamin D - (covid, cancer, etc.)

Worth checking with one's doctor. 

@tarsmom @You should probably let the doctor know the doseage you e been taking and for how long. If you had a blood test that tested for your D levels in July it's probably not going to be very different now but your blood test in July might not have included a Vitamin D level test because It has to be requested separately from other tests. Hope your visit goes well and Happy Thanksgiving.🦃🦃🦃

Esteemed Contributor

There have been many articles about this correlation since the beginning.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Carmie 

That's not really true.  Which is why so many people are Vitamin D deficient now.  Our bodies do make Vitamin D from sunshine but it takes a half hour a day in the sunshine and that does not apply to the Northern part of the country because for 6 months of the year, the sunshine is not strong enough.  It also does not apply to people with brown skin because the darker the skin, the less we are able to make Vitamin D from the sun.  Older people also make less from sunshine and also older people don't metabolize Vitamin D well from food.  That's why everyone should have their Vitamin D levels taken when they get their yearly physicals.  Many people are deficient and don't even know it.  Vitamin D is crucial to almost every system in the body, especially bones and muscles.

How do people who are on Medicare get yearly physicals? There is no coverage for routine tests when you have a Medicare and no coverage for physicals. You have to have a valid diagnosis to get diagnostic tests.

I have no medical concerns..no high BP, I am not diabetic and no history of illness.  My doctor can't just order tests for me unless I complain of an issue.

For most people who have other insurance that is not Medicare, they can only get preventive services that are on their list of covered  services.  Unless they are having issues that could be related to low vitamin D levels, they also have no coverage to check their levels.

If you have money that you don't mind spending, you can pay for the physical and tests out of your own pocket...most people won't.