Honored Contributor

Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

[ Edited ]

Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2773074

"Findings  In this secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial with 25 871 patients, supplementation with vitamin D3 reduced the incidence of advanced (metastatic or fatal) cancer in the overall cohort, with strongest risk reduction in individuals with normal weight and no reduction among individuals with overweight or obesity."

I really wish the positive results held true for overweight and obese individuals. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

It's an essential vitamin, and it's free.  Just go outside when the sun is shining and warm yourself up for a few minutes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

@Mindy D 

A good reminder that many may not have known. Thank you for your thread.

I personally have been on 4000IU for several years now. Had a blood test a couple weeks ago and my number is "51" just about smack dab in the middle of the range for me. I'll settle for that number.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It's an essential vitamin, and it's free.  Just go outside when the sun is shining and warm yourself up for a few minutes.

That doesn't necessarily work for older people.  As we age our organs don't work as efficiently as they did when younger.  Our skin is our largest organ and it doesn't absorb vitamin D and process it as well.  Many older folks are vitamin D deficient.  I spend most of my time in the summer working outside, yet my vitamin D levels remain low.  I have to take supplements all year.  My DD has to have a once a week blast of 10,000 units.

The sun is good but it's not a cure all.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie  As we age, we do not absorb vitamin D  as well from the sun. , so,  the natural form of Vitamine D3  is advisable for many to take that you can buy over the counter

The D 2 form  is also sold, but it is synthetic and not as absorbable.

The  VitaminD2  synthetic form is  also the prescription form that Pharmaceutical companies sell because they can not patent the D3 natural form. 

when people are prescribed the 50,000 IU form  by their doctor, most of the time they do not know it is synthetic vitamin D2.  

It would be better to buy a 5000 IU vitaminD3 and take 10. They are tiny pills and easy to take. At least you would be absorbing it well.

Honored Contributor

We knew this last year, also our immune system is very important, eat right, sleep ,some excise.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

The sun alone is not going to give you adequate vitamin D. In fact, we should reduce our exposure to sunlight due to the damage it can do via skin cancer, etc.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

That doesn't necessarily work for older people.  As we age our organs don't work as efficiently as they did when younger.  Our skin is our largest organ and it doesn't absorb vitamin D and process it as well.  Many older folks are vitamin D deficient.  I spend most of my time in the summer working outside, yet my vitamin D levels remain low.  I have to take supplements all year.  My DD has to have a once a week blast of 10,000 units.

The sun is good but it's not a cure all.

@Scooby Doo , there is also the fact that some states don't see enough sun on a regular basis.  I live in Ohio.  Come talk to me from December through most of March about going outside to absorb sun.   

If you live north of Atlanta, the sun doesn't produce enough Vitamin C in the winter. 

Honored Contributor

On the news the other night, 3 things that should help your immune system: 

Vitamin C

Zinc

Vitamin D3

I take all three along with a probiotic.  And get plenty of sleep.  Hoping this will keep me healthy this winter as I do not plan on getting a flu vaccine.

Honored Contributor

NOBODY spends much time in the Arizona sun.....   Only tourists have suntans.

♥Surface of the Sun♥