Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

@Desertdi wrote:

NOBODY spends much time in the Arizona sun.....   Only tourists have suntans.

@Desertdi...You got that right.  I take a vitamin pill every morning plus a D3 and a C.   Since you and I made the same move, I'm sure you learned as quickly as I did,  "protect your self from the blazing sun, no sun bathing."   Woman Wink

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma    Oh YEAH, I learned about that blistering sun!!!!!    I also found that the "dry heat" can be really MISLEADING and get a person sick really fast.    

Microsoft did a 2-hour "update" tonight......and then, I had trouble getting all my "sites" back.     I'm finally ON......but way behind the 8-ball tonight.

While I was waiting, I caught Dr. Fauci's interview on CNN.....    G*d help us all.   Be safe, di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma    Oh YEAH, I learned about that blistering sun!!!!!    I also found that the "dry heat" can be really MISLEADING and get a person sick really fast.    

Microsoft did a 2-hour "update" tonight......and then, I had trouble getting all my "sites" back.     I'm finally ON......but way behind the 8-ball tonight.

While I was waiting, I caught Dr. Fauci's interview on CNN.....    G*d help us all.   Be safe, di

@Desertdi..I didn't see that one but everything I have been reading says we will be hit with another one.  I'm not usually a pessimist but with this virus...I believe we are in for the long haul.  And I agree with you...God help us all.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Good Vitamin D levels are also essential to maintain healthy bones.  As I have been told, your body needs a good level of Vitamin D to absorb calcium.

If one’s insurance does not cover analyzing your Vitamin D levels in your bloodwork exam, it would be a good investment in your health to pay for this test.  

I live in a northern climate.  I am also very fair and never spend much time in the full sun anyway.  My Vitamin D levels are naturally “in the cellar,” so I must take 4,000 units a day and am happy for good results.

Honored Contributor

I've ben taking D3 for many years now--had breast cancer in 2012 when my onc dr told me to start as well as my cardiologist--I take 5000 ui a day. Here is WA state, sun is very limited and while the incidences of  breast cancer for the country is 1 -8, here it is 1 -4. 

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm 'old school'. 

We were taught that D is one of the vitamins that isn't water soluble (stays in our bodies), and that we shouldn't take it unless we are deficient.

(Vit. C is water soluble, and passes through and out of our bodies if we take too much.)

Anyway, we learned that E, D, A, and another one,,,,maybe a mineral/Iron?......could be somewhat dangerous unless needed.

I guess I'm saying this because my Vit. D blood test has been within normal range.  So I'm not going to take in more. 

Well, scientific facts and ideas are ever changing.  So, good luck to all.  

I'd have my blood tested before going out on my own and taking large doses of D (or Iron) or any other fat soluble vitamin, though.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  At the very least, make sure you inform your doctor(s) of any supplements that you are taking.  

That way, it's posted on your medical charts/info. 

And, they can check your regular blood tests.  Just to make sure everything is fine.

Good health (and safety) to all. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

My old hematologist (1960-1990) used to be a sun advocate. He said it was the best way to get vitamin D and other benefits. Your body uses sunlight to make Vitamin D, Nitric Oxide, brain-derived neurotropic factor, and also serotonin.  For those who argue sun exposure can lead to skin cancer, his argument was that skin cancer is generally easily caught and treated while internal cancers are not nearly as easy to detect. If you monitor your skin on a regular basis you should be able to detect skin cancer early. The same doesn't hold true for internal cancers. A half-inch skin cancer is very noticeable. A half-inch cancer internally is often undetectable. Given a choice between the two, he felt the risk of skin cancer was lower than the risk of internal cancers. He would encourage his patients to get more sunlight rather than less.

I take a daily vitamin with 1,000 iu of Vit D3, and an additional 1,000 iu of vitamin D3 in capsule form. I also get at least some sunshine each day. About an hour today as I puttered around the garden and probably another hour tomorrow. My vitamin D levels are good. As it gets colder my sunlight exposure goes down, but come March I start spending more time outside again. I don't wear sunscreen, don't burn, and I'll take my chances with skin cancer over the alternatives. No cancer is fun, but an easily detectable skin cancer beats a less detectable cancer hiding deep within your body. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

My old hematologist (1960-1990) used to be a sun advocate. He said it was the best way to get vitamin D and other benefits. Your body uses sunlight to make Vitamin D, Nitric Oxide, brain-derived neurotropic factor, and also serotonin.  For those who argue sun exposure can lead to skin cancer, his argument was that skin cancer is generally easily caught and treated while internal cancers are not nearly as easy to detect. If you monitor your skin on a regular basis you should be able to detect skin cancer early. The same doesn't hold true for internal cancers. A half-inch skin cancer is very noticeable. A half-inch cancer internally is often undetectable. Given a choice between the two, he felt the risk of skin cancer was lower than the risk of internal cancers. He would encourage his patients to get more sunlight rather than less.

I take a daily vitamin with 1,000 iu of Vit D3, and an additional 1,000 iu of vitamin D3 in capsule form. I also get at least some sunshine each day. About an hour today as I puttered around the garden and probably another hour tomorrow. My vitamin D levels are good. As it gets colder my sunlight exposure goes down, but come March I start spending more time outside again. I don't wear sunscreen, don't burn, and I'll take my chances with skin cancer over the alternatives. No cancer is fun, but an easily detectable skin cancer beats a less detectable cancer hiding deep within your body. 

I think I would like your doctor, @gardenman .  I go to a preventive clinic that has been checking my vitamin D3 levels for years.  They like to see a level as close to 100 as possible.  If I go over, they tell me to back off for a few weeks.  I am usually at or around 100. I take 5000 IU daily.  I take a powder form in a capsule. I also go in the sun everyday that is sunny, year round.  I wear sunscreen on my face, neck, and chest, but that is all.  I see a dermatologist every year for a check up.  He has never mentioned sunscreen.  

I find that Vitamin D and the sun are mood lifters, perhaps because of the serotonin.  I think I have a solar panel on the top of my head and it needs to be charged up daily.  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

I get migraines and see a neurologist.  5 years ago she suggested 5000 IU of D.  I've been on it ever since.

She also said they were studying its effect on cancer.

Almost everyone is low in D - especially in the fall/winter.

@tarsmom @Do you get blood testing for your Vitamin D level to ensure that it is not too high? 

@Mindy D  actually I haven't. I have a physical tomorrow so I will ask my primary care doctor.  I also do not take any Vit. D in the summer because I am outside every day.  

I alway recommend discussing supplements with your doctor first.  You can always google Vit D "how much is too much" - there's lots of articles. 

Lastly, about 5 years ago during a visit to my doctor for something else, I complained about fatigue (prior to taking D).  I had such a hard time getting going in the a.m. and thought it was just part of aging.  Dr. ordered blood work and my D level was 8.  Dr. gave me 50,000 (one pill to be taken once a week for 6 weeks) and then rechecked.  I could tell the difference right away.  

My last blood work was in June and it was excellent.  

All I know is there sure is a lot of buzz about Vitamin D - (covid, cancer, etc.)

Worth checking with one's doctor. 

@tarsmom @You should probably let the doctor know the doseage you e been taking and for how long. If you had a blood test that tested for your D levels in July it's probably not going to be very different now but your blood test in July might not have included a Vitamin D level test because It has to be requested separately from other tests. Hope your visit goes well and Happy Thanksgiving.🦃🦃🦃

@Mindy D  - Update!

Went today - talked to the doc at length about the D - he said I am good with 5000.  I told him I don't take any in the summer as I'm outside every day.  Thank you for your comment Smiley Happy