Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

[ Edited ]

I take Andrew Lessman supplements. D3 is in his Essential 1 Multi vitamin plus it's in his CoQ10.

The Sun won't cut it this time of year unless your way far south. It's too far away.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D might save your life from the Journal of the American Medical Association

@Mindy D Just FYI, it's common knowledge how essential Vit D is.

My oncologist put me on a regimen specific to me almost 4 years ago. I knew that before the JAMA article, as do many others.

Valued Contributor

thanks for sharing!!

I'm 'young' and my body has been unable to absorb Vit D adqeuately throughout my lifetime. I have very fair skin, so simply going in the sun for a bit isn't the best advice for a healthy lifestyle. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Mindy D Just FYI, it's common knowledge how essential Vit D is.

My oncologist put me on a regimen specific to me almost 4 years ago. I knew that before the JAMA article, as do many others.

@Love my grandkids @The analysis done in THIS STUDY is new and was not common knowledge. There are other benefits from Vitamin D, including some that are related to the study but this particular result is newly known . It is important enough to be published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. There are other studies on the role of Vitamin D in cancer and on the immune system.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D 

A good reminder that many may not have known. Thank you for your thread.

I personally have been on 4000IU for several years now. Had a blood test a couple weeks ago and my number is "51" just about smack dab in the middle of the range for me. I'll settle for that number.

hckynut 

@hckynut  That's a great number!  This year, by making sure I got sun every day during the summer, and supplementing with Vit D, I was able to raise my number from 12 to 29.  That's the best I've done for several years.

Valued Contributor

I get migraines and see a neurologist.  5 years ago she suggested 5000 IU of D.  I've been on it ever since.

She also said they were studying its effect on cancer.

Almost everyone is low in D - especially in the fall/winter.

Honored Contributor

Good to know it will save you from the Jouranl of the American Medical Association!  Who wouldn't want to be saved from that?  Woman Wink

Also, here in Okie land, in the fall the dust and pollen are so bad that allergy sufferers know the air is better inside sometimes!  We watch the allergy alerts with the weather and take note.

Especially with tree limbs piled 6 feet high along many streets now.  Moving and sawing and raking has really stirred up the dust.   With all these acorns on the ground the squirrels don't know what to do. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It's an essential vitamin, and it's free.  Just go outside when the sun is shining and warm yourself up for a few minutes.

@Carmie 

That's not good advice for some of us.  My mother died of melanoma, which raises my chances of getting it by 50%.  I've already had a number of skin cancers and pre cancers removed. So I wear sunscreen 365 days a year and get my vitamin D from  a supplement.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

@Sooner wrote:

Good to know it will save you from the Jouranl of the American Medical Association!  Who wouldn't want to be saved from that?  Woman Wink

Also, here in Okie land, in the fall the dust and pollen are so bad that allergy sufferers know the air is better inside sometimes!  We watch the allergy alerts with the weather and take note.

Especially with tree limbs piled 6 feet high along many streets now.  Moving and sawing and raking has really stirred up the dust.   With all these acorns on the ground the squirrels don't know what to do. 

@Sooner @@I'm laughing. Thanks. I just modified the post title. 😅

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

I get migraines and see a neurologist.  5 years ago she suggested 5000 IU of D.  I've been on it ever since.

She also said they were studying its effect on cancer.

Almost everyone is low in D - especially in the fall/winter.

@tarsmom @Do you get blood testing for your Vitamin D level to ensure that it is not too high?