Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin D and others before and during covd 19

Thanks all for replies.

I guess I thought this was useful information, not from tv doctors or vitamin salesmen but reputable, practicing doctors, who also said,

yes going outside is beneficial.

I just have never heard either about not taking vit d if you have covd 19

and haven't been able to find any other sources about that.

Just interesting and wondering, that's all. 

We all have so much interesting information, it's good to share and then we can always decide for ourselves if it fits us or is even legitimate.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

This is something I just asked my mother's doctor about. My mother is in her 80's and has aortic aneurysms. (two of them). I asked if she should be taking and she stated that those who live where they are indoors a lot should take it. My mother is and we do live in the Midwest where it has been cold. Her doctor stated that she could take up to about 2000 IU but to start off at a lower dosage. If you have too much supplemental Vitamin D3 it can become toxic. She explained that vitamin D3 does help with the immune system. 
There is vitamin D3 in some seafood and it is added into some juices and it is in Milk. I do not remember what other foods it might be in. If you can sit in the sun for a bit it is a the best to get that way. But there are people who are outside and still do not absob the amount needed.

The best before taking is to talk to your doctor. Vitamin D3 is a fat vitamin and therefore it is nor let go out of the body quite as easily as some other vitamins.

Other vitamins tht are supposed to help with the immune system are vitamin C and zince as others have stated. Vitamin C though if taken iin the supplemental form  larger quanitities can also contribute to kidney stones. Always best to get in your diet but perhaps ask your doctor regarding supplements.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I've read from several doctors newsletters that it is good to take zinc, d, and c.

But interesting that several sources say to stop vitamin d if you get sick (or heaven forbid the virus).

I don't know why or if that is true.

Maybe someone else has more info.

Please be careful with vitamin D.  It is a fat soluble vitamin and can build up in your system causing toxicity and serious problems.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Vitamin D acts more like a hormone than it does anything else. It has an innate ability to induce special peptides which are thought to act like physical barriers on the surface of our cells where infectious microbes try to enter our cells. VD-induced peptide synthesis is reduced in VD-deficient people which is thought be one factor associated with their immune response. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, it should always be noted that vit D is a fat soluble, not water soluble vitamin and too much of this and others that are can be toxic.

Plus, not every vitamin is good for every person, nor every supplement,  nor herb, and they all have some side effects to be aware of.

And just because something is "natural" or organic does not mean it is safe to take. 

I was just reporting on the recent findings of what may help protect against covd 19 and I'm sure with other illnesses too.

@SilleeMee -

Do you have any idea of why it would be advised to stop taking D if you have covd 19?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

No, I don't know why. i've never heard that before. But just a hunch...maybe it has something to do with the VD-induced peptides sitting on the surface of our cells where the peptides might somehow act like keys to help the virus unlock the cell membrane "locks" which we have on our cells. The spikes on the virus cell act like keys to unlock or put a hole in our cell walls. Maybe the VD-induced peptides aid in that action, benefiting the virus. 

Trusted Contributor

All that said, I believe that is safe to say that most who do not supplement with Vitamin D, are low on levels.  

Low levels of Vitamin D have to do with seasonal depression, too.  

Honored Contributor

I have bloodwork done every year and all my vitamin levels are checked.  If something is low, my physician will give me a prescription and that has happened in the past with Vitamind D. 

I only take vitamins as prescribed by my physician.     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard Dr. Fauci make a brief reference to what I believe he called interesting research into the benefit of Vit. D for either treating or preventing COVID-19, I don't recall which, I was in the middle of something else when he mentioned it.

Nothing definititve, I just remember he said it was interesting.

ETA:  In the same interview I just remember he brushed off suggestions that Vit. C would be of any use.  He pretty much said "No"

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee -

Thanks! That is really interestingSmiley Happy!

(and would make sense).