Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Visiting Denver For The First Time and Well....Shocked!

As many of you know (and are probably sick of it) I've mentioned that my youngest daughter lives in the heart of the city of Denver.

She loves it there and I love visiting her.  I've been there several times.  

I admit, the first time took a little getting used to, but my daughter is happy and it's a wonderful place.  The people I meet are kind and polite (not like in the DC/Md/parts of Va area).

Anyway, my oldest daughter, her 4 children and husband are visiting the youngest daughter for a few days on their way back from visiting colleges in California.

The oldest (with her family) is exploring Denver this morning.  She's been so excited to see a "Black Eyed Peas" restaurant there (they closed down near us years ago).

But the first thing she texted was a picture of a store that sells pot with a huge line as far as the picture went.  The store hadn't opened yet.  She was amazed at the sight!

I told her to buckle up that it's a comin' across the country.  She has 4 children.  Three are teenagers and she's very opposed to the use of pot for (let's call it fun).  We know all about the other uses of the oil, etc and think it's a good thing.

It's similar to seeing rows and rows (3 feet wide) with homeless tents, etc, on the streets there and in some other cities.

We live in and around an area in Virginia where this is considered illegal and the police enforce it.  So, it's a shock when you see it.

She's been there now for a few days but she's still shocked.  

My youngest daughter has said it's supposed to be against the law there too, but it's so prevalent, they (the police) can't keep up with enforcing it.  She said they do 'sweeps' but let's face it, these people have nowhere to go so they move for a short time and then move back.

There is no easy answer to this homeless problem, but someone at least needs to start. 

Not all of these people are mentally unstable, druggies, etc.  Due to unforeseen circumstances they've become homeless.  

Some are women with children.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Visiting Denver For The First Time and Well....Shocked!

DH has a medical MJ card but it was still a surprise when we last visited Law Vegas.  There are many huge billboards advertising MJ and now there is Planet 13, the largest MJ store in the country.  It's all good, as far as I'm concerned but why are many of the hotels now charging for parking (even if you are staying overnight)?  Supposedly it's to help defray the cost of their new stadium; I'd guess that taxes on MJ would easily cover those costs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Instead of being so flippant about it I wish people would do some research and study the facts. All is well until.... I don't think people understand. For medical purposes such as helping with seizures, nausea and vomiting, or pain it is a useful thing. But for fun, think again folks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

DH has a medical MJ card but it was still a surprise when we last visited Law Vegas.  There are many huge billboards advertising MJ and now there is Planet 13, the largest MJ store in the country.  It's all good, as far as I'm concerned but why are many of the hotels now charging for parking (even if you are staying overnight)?  Supposedly it's to help defray the cost of their new stadium; I'd guess that taxes on MJ would easily cover those costs.

@patbz If we spend the night in NYC we pay for parking at the hotel. That has been true there for many years. 

The same in Boston. I thought that’s the way it was in most big cities.

Esteemed Contributor

It's now legal here in MI, too although communities including mine can opt out of, uh...shops and stores selling it. It's also illegal in my community to grow it.

It's well taxed here so that was the push to get it legalized.

I don't indulge, never have. I wonder what the future holds when you drop your kids off at daycare and the employees take a smoke break? Or your nurse, doctor, hospital or nursing home staff go on their smoke breaks?

Paying to park at hotels near "shops" is likely to deter people from running in, stocking up then running to the car to light up.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ :  Until about two years ago parking in Vegas was almost always free (the better to entice gamblers, diners, shoppers).

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ :  Until about two years ago parking in Vegas was almost always free (the better to entice gamblers, diners, shoppers).

@patbz .  Oh, didn’t know, we have to fly and cab it there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've lived in Colorado since 1968. Lots of changes since I first moved here. Legalization has brought both good and bad things to this state. I don't involve myself in any of the aspects regarding it's sales or usage and I don't care if there are people who do. MJ means big money and big crime around here...a double-sided sword.

Denver is ranked no.3 in the most desirable places to live right now and for more reasons than just the pot situation.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 : Our 2 daughters live in Denver. There is a dispensary on almost every corner. It took me by surprise the first time I saw that a few years ago but rarely notice them now.

Respected Contributor

A friend of mine, who originates from Denver but has been away for many years, went back for a visit.  She told me how distressing it was to see the overall decline, but particularly the litter and refuse, that is unavoidable all around.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.