Honored Contributor

Re: Vision Boards...Dream Boards. Do you have one?

I do a number of related things, “personal treasure maps,” “discovery journals,” which I learned from reading (and often re-reading) two of Sarah Ban Breathnach’s books:

"Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy"

and "Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self."

(Wonderful books with many practical tools, imo.)

Nice thread, sidsmom.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

I have some garlands, pictures I've pinned to the walls, old toys, old quilts --etc ---it's very visual---only Mr Sylvia and my best friend understand it
Honored Contributor

On 7/8/2014 sylviahomeatlast said: I have some garlands, pictures I've pinned to the walls, old toys, old quilts --etc

That's on the right line....but it's not a memory board, but stuff you would like to happen in the future! Could be places you would like to travel, maybe Italy, or fitness goals....is it that 5K you've dreamed of doing? Sounds like you're creative...have you wanted to begin sewing? Cutting out pictures/sayings, etc of a sewing machine, a girl running & a picture of Italy would be placed in your board. Those images are right in front of you every day. Hope I explained that clearly... Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

No, but I think it's a great idea!

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/8/2014 sidsmom said:
On 7/8/2014 Snowpuppy said:

I've kept one for years. DS has one as well.

Only have ever kept a personal board, never a board for work.

On it are my personal goals. I cut out photos or sometimes just grab a pic of something inspirational online to download and save. I also have a box of Crayola 64's for fun.

Funny story. I dated a guy a few years ago.....he was getting quite serious. I kept my vision board on my bedroom wall. Mostly sketches, pics, etc. Where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do.

He asked "do you have room for me on that board"? It was then i realized, no I didn't see him in my future. And shortly thereafter we parted.

THAT'S IT! Vision boards became really popular around the time "The Secret" came out. Just a visual, tangible way to manifest your dreams. Almost a 'build it & they will come' idea. It really works. Wow...your story is exactly what the idea is all about.

I started one during a really bad time in my life, just to keep a focus. I had the most awful job anyone could endure but took it to keep food on the table.

The board gave me something to move toward. Every morning I walked out the door saying "One day, Lord, one day".

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have them. They are for fun things. Good and positive fun things.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

On 7/8/2014 sidsmom said:
On 7/8/2014 sylviahomeatlast said: I have some garlands, pictures I've pinned to the walls, old toys, old quilts --etc

That's on the right line....but it's not a memory board, but stuff you would like to happen in the future! Could be places you would like to travel, maybe Italy, or fitness goals....is it that 5K you've dreamed of doing? Sounds like you're creative...have you wanted to begin sewing? Cutting out pictures/sayings, etc of a sewing machine, a girl running & a picture of Italy would be placed in your board. Those images are right in front of you every day. Hope I explained that clearly... Smiley Happy

wonderful ideas---these pictures are out of various magazines--you are right--what I need to be real in my life---thank you. :-)
Valued Contributor

On 7/8/2014 dooBdoo said:

I do a number of related things, “personal treasure maps,” “discovery journals,” which I learned from reading (and often re-reading) two of Sarah Ban Breathnach’s books:

"Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy"

and "Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self."

(Wonderful books with many practical tools, imo.)

Nice thread, sidsmom.Smile

dooBdoo, I have the book "Simple Abundance". isn't this a lovely thread?
Respected Contributor

If you have a bucket list, I think a vision board would be beneficial. I don't think it would put pressure on you, but it would keep you in touch with your goals and dreams. Life can get busy and time flies and before you know it, you get to your golden years and realize that there's a lot more that you want to do.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Frequent Contributor

Great idea. I've heard of them and have seen other's do it so maybe it's time for me to get started now with my own!