Super Contributor

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices

@SharkE  I was wondering if Amarillo was as limited as Lubbock in available grocery stores. United, Food King,and Walmart are only choices. Supposedly, a HEB is coming our way in the near future. I haven't stopped foot in a WalMart since this pandemic hit. I have ordered online. I had a three day wait. I didn't think that was too bad compared to others. Don't you just love Drug Emporium? Great prices on drug items and makeup. We do have a local Sprouts. I have been there when I needed fresh produce and deli meat. Smaller store and very clean. Only 90 people allowed in at once. I go early morning after senior hours and very few people in the store.

Honored Contributor

Yes , Drug Emporium is the best. All kinds of cosmetics, weird stuff like potato flour, all kinds of shampoos, conditioners that is hard to find even that old time Brach's divinity like candy that is weighed up by the pound.

For a thrill we went to Plainview last Thurs and I hit the Walmart there just to break the monotony.

Don't guess your Mall is open is it ? We ended up eating a pizza in the car that was our 'fine' dining. LOL  Last yr. we went to Lubbock to see that singing star museum from the 50's can't recall his name . 'Peggy Sue',etc.

If you don't mind let me know when HEB comes to town I want to check it out, we checked out the Costco since Amarillo doesn't have one just 2 Sam's Clubs. I wasn't impressed with it and too expensive ! 65 a yr. membership !

We just have United, Walmart and the Fiesta Market that is more geared to Spanish folks. Have found some stuff there that is long gone from the conventional stores. Produce is cheaper there.

@texassunflower 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@LolaMontez 

@Nataliesgramma 

So you would prefer to not see any "news" about what's going on in the world???

@novamc1 

We dont want partial news. The News should be confirmed and its not just more speculation. And ALL the facts are disclosed by the poster....In other words parts of the story being left out...some plant closurers are temporarily, or other plants are picking up the slack....and since restaurants arent buying meat, there may be meat available but not cuts of meat we are used to.....

And we dont want more doom and gloom as the OP speculates the same will happen to rice and beans...

Even the Mods remove threads were people speculate about the hosts/vendors....and the reason is "speculation"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@SharkE  You went to the Buddy Holly Museum. Our mall will open on May 1 st with 25% occupancy. If the Covid-19 numbers remain stable, we will go to 50% by mid May. I do agree with Governor Abbott's slow opening. No haircuts until mid May. Our nursing homes have been hit hard. Community spread hasn't been too bad. HEB was suppose to be opening in October. I am sure the date has been pushed back now. My sister goes to the one in Midland and loves it. I will check it out. I will probably stay with my neighborhood United. It's only 5 blocks from home. I will let you know about HEB.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

If this "discussion" thread ends by being poofed, I'd like it to be remembered  as starting with a real  (not fake) news story about meat processing plants closing due to  employee COVID virus illness, and the resulting potential effect on our nation's food chain.

Nothing more......nothing less.  Just some timely news, gathered by a  well-recognized media organization staffed  and written by trained journalists.

I posted yesterday and said pretty much what you did.  Boy, did I get jumped on.  Right now, I am the person to blame if people hoard meat and it becomes unavailable.

I guess you and I are big trouble makers.  We are spreading gloom and doom.

Oh well, in another month, we will read about the difficulty some people are having finding protein.

There will always be those who do not want to listen to reason.

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower    thank you very much I appreciate that !  We don't take the Amarillo Globe News any more. Price went to 539 a yr. We just take the Sunday paper now.

Our annual vacations look like have went the way of the dinosaur LOL

Most I can look forward to is little side trips to the flea markets, Plainview

Walmart, stuff like that.   It's sad, girl, just sad.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

I posted similar info a while back, and got the same negative backlash from the same antagonist.    Even smart people can be uninformed about certain issues, so antagonists can be forgiven if they simply "don't know".

However, anyone interested enough to comment on a particular issue has an opportunity to digest  information  readily  available  from many sources, instead of attacking the information from the outset.

They can't change facts.   They can do their own research.

Agree with you that some people  just like to kill the messenger.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

people create what they most fear.   I told a friend, next, somebody will report on shortage of feminine monthly products and women that have had hysterectomies  will stock pile.   ROFL

It's ridiculous.

I thought of that too.  Thank goodness I'm post-meno.

Respected Contributor

AND there happens to be a TSV today just in time..... 12 or 24 Kobe Style BURGERS.which I have never eaten .your choice. I guess Q  suppliers are stocked up?

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf   Most all of the stores are still stocked up...especially with frozen meat.  According to my local news the shortage will probably show up next week and the prices  will go up too.

This will Impact beef, pork and chicken...including deli meats, frozen dinners and frozen processed prepared meats such as meatballs and BBQ chicken wings. We are asked to make sure we have enough for at least one week in reserve.  After that, there will be meat available, but in limited quantities and maybe not exactly what we are looking for.

I won't be buying QVC's burgers either.  They are probably delicious, but I'll pass.