Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 32,178
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices

@stevieb, I'm giving you a standing ovation for your post.

 

But might I add, I think we are almost 5 months into this at this point aren't we?  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 61,036
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices


@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sharke wrote:

I only have 2 stores to shop from United Supermarkets and Walmart

Forget Walmart. We have a Hispanic market in Amarillo, Tx called Fiesta Market , no shortage there.   Seek out off the wall stores. Health food stores, also.  Drug Emporium we have one in town you'd be amazed at the stuff they carry I can even get potato flour for my bread there.

 

You have to hit the bricks.


Oh yea, at the same time they're telling us to 'stay home'... Which is it... ?


@stevieb 

 

I think we're being told to stay home except for going out for essentials, like food.

 

 


@KittyLouWhoToo  Uh huh... I get that, but out is out and if we have to go to multiple stores simply trying to find essentials that's just more potential exposure when really, had there been competent management of this crisis a lot of this would have been unnecessary... In my view, too much was left to the states and to the marketplace to manage, it didn't work out so well and it's not getting any better.


@stevieb 

 

Well, we all have to make our decision about how many places we are willing to go to to find the food we need.  I have "settled" for some things rather than enter another store.  Hasn't been that big a deal to me.

 

If I say any more here I will get into a realm that would probably be considered political so I will just move along.......................


@KittyLouWhoToo  I suspect most of us are 'settling' often and about a lot of things. I know I have been, still am, and am making every effort to minimize exposure, but let's face it, it's getting old... As for the 'political', yes, I too will leave that alone...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 61,036
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices


@LipstickDiva wrote:

@stevieb, I'm giving you a standing ovation for your post.

 

But might I add, I think we are almost 5 months into this at this point aren't we?  


@LipstickDiva  Yet another side effect of all this joy is yes, I've lost track of time...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,488
Registered: ‎04-18-2013

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices


@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sharke wrote:

I only have 2 stores to shop from United Supermarkets and Walmart

Forget Walmart. We have a Hispanic market in Amarillo, Tx called Fiesta Market , no shortage there.   Seek out off the wall stores. Health food stores, also.  Drug Emporium we have one in town you'd be amazed at the stuff they carry I can even get potato flour for my bread there.

 

You have to hit the bricks.


Oh yea, at the same time they're telling us to 'stay home'... Which is it... ?


@stevieb 

 

I think we're being told to stay home except for going out for essentials, like food.

 

 


@KittyLouWhoToo  Uh huh... I get that, but out is out and if we have to go to multiple stores simply trying to find essentials that's just more potential exposure when really, had there been competent management of this crisis a lot of this would have been unnecessary... In my view, too much was left to the states and to the marketplace to manage, it didn't work out so well and it's not getting any better.


@stevieb 

 

Well, we all have to make our decision about how many places we are willing to go to to find the food we need.  I have "settled" for some things rather than enter another store.  Hasn't been that big a deal to me.

 

If I say any more here I will get into a realm that would probably be considered political so I will just move along.......................


@KittyLouWhoToo  I suspect most of us are 'settling' often and about a lot of things. I know I have been, still am, and am making every effort to minimize exposure, but let's face it, it's getting old... As for the 'political', yes, I too will leave that alone...


@stevieb 

 

Yeah, it's getting old.  But I'm thinking we ain't seen nuthin yet.

 

I'm more concerned with making a living right now and going forward than I am with finding exactly what I want at the grocery.  Currently I'm fine with having enough to eat and a roof over my head.

 

YMMV.  Guess it depends on where you're sitting.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,426
Registered: ‎07-02-2015

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices

[ Edited ]

If this "discussion" thread ends by being poofed, I'd like it to be remembered  as starting with a real  (not fake) news story about meat processing plants closing due to  employee COVID virus illness, and the resulting potential effect on our nation's food chain.

 

Nothing more......nothing less.  Just some timely news, gathered by a  well-recognized media organization staffed  and written by trained journalists.

 

 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 61,036
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices


@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sharke wrote:

I only have 2 stores to shop from United Supermarkets and Walmart

Forget Walmart. We have a Hispanic market in Amarillo, Tx called Fiesta Market , no shortage there.   Seek out off the wall stores. Health food stores, also.  Drug Emporium we have one in town you'd be amazed at the stuff they carry I can even get potato flour for my bread there.

 

You have to hit the bricks.


Oh yea, at the same time they're telling us to 'stay home'... Which is it... ?


@stevieb 

 

I think we're being told to stay home except for going out for essentials, like food.

 

 


@KittyLouWhoToo  Uh huh... I get that, but out is out and if we have to go to multiple stores simply trying to find essentials that's just more potential exposure when really, had there been competent management of this crisis a lot of this would have been unnecessary... In my view, too much was left to the states and to the marketplace to manage, it didn't work out so well and it's not getting any better.


@stevieb 

 

Well, we all have to make our decision about how many places we are willing to go to to find the food we need.  I have "settled" for some things rather than enter another store.  Hasn't been that big a deal to me.

 

If I say any more here I will get into a realm that would probably be considered political so I will just move along.......................


@KittyLouWhoToo  I suspect most of us are 'settling' often and about a lot of things. I know I have been, still am, and am making every effort to minimize exposure, but let's face it, it's getting old... As for the 'political', yes, I too will leave that alone...


@stevieb 

 

Yeah, it's getting old.  But I'm thinking we ain't seen nuthin yet.

 

I'm more concerned with making a living right now and going forward than I am with finding exactly what I want at the grocery.  Currently I'm fine with having enough to eat and a roof over my head.

 

YMMV.  Guess it depends on where you're sitting.


@KittyLouWhoToo  And where you happen to live... The major metro areas and their suburbs, it would seem, are enjoying this little exercise to the fullest... I think we're all grateful for what we have, I know I am, but along with the uncertainty about the very real threat, there's the financial uncertainty and the uncertainty of not knowing where our next bag of groceries might be coming from, if it'll be coming, whether our loved ones, including our pets, will have enough to eat and how long we can sustain this situation... There are times, increasingly so, when it all gets to be a bit overwhelming...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 61,036
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices


@noodleann wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Before this thread disappears and it will... let me just say, to me, this isn't about the more noble among us who can find ways to 'tough it out' and to 'make do'... It's not about how much meat any given one of us might or might not eat anyway and hence how impacted (or not) we might be by this latest little lump of excrement in the punch bowl... It isn't about who has a local farmer and who doesn't or who can get by on beans, rice and cereal (assuming they can find them) and who can't... It's about the reality that we're now three months into this and nothing is being effectively managed... On top of the threat of illness or worse, its one freaking kick in the seat after another... Grocery store shelves haven't been stocked for the duration of this situation... There hasn't been enough of anything to go around and now, thanks once again to poor management. to states making their own calls about too many things and to supply chain managers left to their own devices we'll enjoy yet another deprivation, with moronic neighbors hording and retailers gouging prices... Are we having fun yet?


There's been a stunning lack of leadership, top to bottom, and poor-quality information coming from what people think of as high-quality sources. The lack of good info and the amount of conflicting info and useless, misleading static on the science and medicine, on the trillions of dollars being thrown around, and on the supply chain issues, to name the three biggest ones in my view, fosters anxiety and lack of confidence.

 

When the so-called authorities behave capriciously, we really are left to our own devices. It's every person for him/her self in securing survival, because no one else is looking out for us. It's time to dump the canard that we're all in this together, because we're not. The fracturing of actual and psychological community does not create a bedrock for pulling together and getting out of this mess. It's almost the inverse of the spirit that seems to have guided this country on the home front through WWII and its aftermath.


@noodleann  Amen... Shall we form a ticket...? Woman Wink


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,488
Registered: ‎04-18-2013

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices


@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sharke wrote:

I only have 2 stores to shop from United Supermarkets and Walmart

Forget Walmart. We have a Hispanic market in Amarillo, Tx called Fiesta Market , no shortage there.   Seek out off the wall stores. Health food stores, also.  Drug Emporium we have one in town you'd be amazed at the stuff they carry I can even get potato flour for my bread there.

 

You have to hit the bricks.


Oh yea, at the same time they're telling us to 'stay home'... Which is it... ?


@stevieb 

 

I think we're being told to stay home except for going out for essentials, like food.

 

 


@KittyLouWhoToo  Uh huh... I get that, but out is out and if we have to go to multiple stores simply trying to find essentials that's just more potential exposure when really, had there been competent management of this crisis a lot of this would have been unnecessary... In my view, too much was left to the states and to the marketplace to manage, it didn't work out so well and it's not getting any better.


@stevieb 

 

Well, we all have to make our decision about how many places we are willing to go to to find the food we need.  I have "settled" for some things rather than enter another store.  Hasn't been that big a deal to me.

 

If I say any more here I will get into a realm that would probably be considered political so I will just move along.......................


@KittyLouWhoToo  I suspect most of us are 'settling' often and about a lot of things. I know I have been, still am, and am making every effort to minimize exposure, but let's face it, it's getting old... As for the 'political', yes, I too will leave that alone...


@stevieb 

 

Yeah, it's getting old.  But I'm thinking we ain't seen nuthin yet.

 

I'm more concerned with making a living right now and going forward than I am with finding exactly what I want at the grocery.  Currently I'm fine with having enough to eat and a roof over my head.

 

YMMV.  Guess it depends on where you're sitting.


@KittyLouWhoToo  And where you happen to live... The major metro areas and their suburbs, it would seem, are enjoying this little exercise to the fullest... I think we're all grateful for what we have, I know I am, but along with the uncertainty about the very real threat, there's the financial uncertainty and the uncertainty of not knowing where our next bag of groceries might be coming from, if it'll be coming, whether our loved ones, including our pets, will have enough to eat and how long we can sustain this situation... There are times, increasingly so, when it all gets to be a bit overwhelming...


@stevieb 

 

I'm not unfamiliar with feeling overwhelmed.

 

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 228
Registered: ‎02-10-2014

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices

and yet another thread on the meat "crisis"....

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,810
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Virus expected to reduce meat supply, raise prices

At BJ's this morning. No pork, chicken, hamburger, limited beef. No tuna, No DD K cups.  Very poor selection of fruits and vegetables.  Limited whole pieces of cheese. This was my first time out.  I usually use Instacart.  Plenty of TP though.  It was an eye opener for sure.