Honored Contributor

Virus Quarantine Hotel in China Collapses

Around 70 people were trapped after a hotel collapsed in China's eastern Fujian province on Saturday evening, officials said.

Xinjia Hotel in Quanzhou City collapsed around 7.30 pm (11:30 GMT) and at least 23 people had been rescued by 9pm, according to a local government statement.

The 80-room hotel was recently converted to a quarantine facility for people who had recent contact with coronavirus patients, the People's Daily state newspaper reported. 

Footage has captured rescuers searching for injured people after the hotel collapsed overhead.

The horrific aftermath, which was caught on camera, shows the hotel levelling to the ground as rescue workers battled on.

No reason for the collapse was given. 

State news agency Xinhua said rescue efforts were ongoing. 

China, where the new virus first emerged in December, has confirmed more than 80,000 cases, by far the most in the world.

China reported 99 new cases on Saturday, its first daily increase of less than 100 since Jan. 20. The government reported 28 new fatalities, raising the mainland death toll to 3,070.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Virus Quarantine Hotel in China Collapses

China definitely has it's share of problems. I won't be visiting, that is for sure. They should have been much more forthcoming with what was going on, so I believe very little of what I hear from that country. 

Trusted Contributor

Those poor people, I am very sorry to hear this. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

The people don't deserve all the horrors they have been enduring. I feel so sorry for them.

Maybe one good thing could come out of this virus thing. Maybe American humans could become closer to Chinese humans as we sympathize with each other and work together to eradicate or control our mutual problem. 

Respected Contributor

When it rains it pours  I am so saddened to hear this.

I dont trust any Chinese made good or service.  They seem to be made very shoddy. And I will certainly never eat their food or seafood.

Honored Contributor

OMGosh...........sending prayers and wishes for complete recoveries.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

The people don't deserve all the horrors they have been enduring. I feel so sorry for them.

Maybe one good thing could come out of this virus thing. Maybe American humans could become closer to Chinese humans as we sympathize with each other and work together to eradicate or control our mutual problem. 

How refreshing @Mindy D, to read a post full of empathy and void of accusations and slams. No matter what, we're all in this together.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D If only that were true.  Sadly on my local news last night was a story of hate crimes against Chinese Americans increasing.  One part of the story was a man in NYC spraying Febreze in an Asian man's face.  Another part of the story told of Chinese Americans stocking up on weapons, fearing for their lives.

Sad times.

As for the building collapsing, an article from the Associated Press says this is a normal occurrence in China.

From the article:

China is no stranger to building collapses and deadly construction accidents, which are typically blamed on the country's rapid growth leading to corner-cutting by builders and the widespread flouting of safety rules.

At least 20 people died in 2016 when a series of crudely-constructed multi-storey buildings packed with migrant workers collapsed in the eastern city of Wenzhou.

Another 10 were killed last year in Shanghai after the collapse of a commercial building during renovations.

Honored Contributor

Is that one of the new building they put up ,to keep people with the virus?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest No, it's the five-story Xinjia Hotel, in Quanzhou City that was being used as a quarantined location.