Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Tech students, and what they did...

What's scary is these websites that kids can access without their parents even knowing.  No longer is a parent able to keep up with the goings-on in their kids' lives by particiating in the likes of Facebook, etc.  Kids probably don't even use those sites much these days.  It is the other, more sinister sites, that kids are seeming to gravitate to these days in some cases.

Super Contributor

@Mominohio

Virginia Tech students, and what they did...Options 

to that 13 year old. How does this happen? 

What makes people so terribly disturbed? 

Please, people with young children and teens, watch their social media,

SOCIAL MEDIA :-(

WE BUY IT AND PAY FOR IT :-(

Our KIDS watch OUR behavior on OUR computers and just do what WE do :-(

monkeysee_monkeydo.jpg

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

This kind of crime has happened before and long pre-dates the age of the internet.

Read up some time on the Leopold/Loeb case.  Two wealthy extremely smart young men thought they were smarter than everyone else and could commit the perfect crime, which they did just to see if they could get away with it and for the thrill of it.  Kidnapped and killed a little boy.  Back in 1924.  The technology changes, the evil and the crimes don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_and_Loeb

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

This kind of crime has happened before and long pre-dates the age of the internet.

Read up some time on the Leopold/Loeb case.  Two wealthy extremely smart young men thought they were smarter than everyone else and could commit the perfect crime, which they did just to see if they could get away with it and for the thrill of it.  Kidnapped and killed a little boy.  Back in 1924.  The technology changes, the evil and the crimes don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_and_Loeb

Yes indeed, this type of thing has always occured.

The real problem arising is that today's advanced technology is making it easier to lure out a victim.

From the information available so far, it appears that this particular girl would never have been a target for these two, but for the internet, and social media. The investigation is still ongoing, but from all I have read, it appears they met through social media somehow. If this turns out to be incorrect, and they met some other way, then it might change what I think about this particular case, but not about the dangers of kids and social media in general. 

Would they have done it to someone else. Maybe. 

But my point in my  op is simply to give reminder and warning to people who have children that this technology is bringing dangers right to our doorstep, opening the door, and letting those that can do harm, right inside. No alarm system, no dead bolts, do guard dog can stop this kind of invasion. It takes vigilance, knowledge, and a strong backbone to impose limits on our kids, and what they have access to.

Esteemed Contributor

A high IQ does not mean folks have character or that they are really all that smart or good people. 

Those teens need to fry in my opinion.  They know they are young and will only serve a short time, be released, and then do more dastardly things later.  Those types laugh at society and laws and people they see as inferior and easy victims for their play.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I agree. They don't seem very smart at all.

Honored Contributor

I recall being at a picnic years ago where 2 of the attendees were LE officers.

The subject came around to "rebelling teenagers are still good kids" and one of the cops said something that has stuck with me ........

He said he would give his car keys to his hypothetical  teenager if it was just him using the car .....  

HOWEVER ......  he would never give his keys to TWO teens because all clear thinking goes out the window.  One dares the other, they talk about doing something other kids would be "impressed" by .....  and things go out of control very quickly ....   

Esteemed Contributor

Take it for what it's worth, but the Daily Mail reported that he killed her because she was about to expose the sexual relationship between the two of them. He knew that would mean trouble for his future. Like killing her wouldn't? For being an engineering student, why wouldn't it dawn on him that he had already left a huge cyber footprint? Poor little girl, wanting to fit in . . .

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I recall being at a picnic years ago where 2 of the attendees were LE officers.

The subject came around to "rebelling teenagers are still good kids" and one of the cops said something that has stuck with me ........

He said he would give his car keys to his hypothetical  teenager if it was just him using the car .....  

HOWEVER ......  he would never give his keys to TWO teens because all clear thinking goes out the window.  One dares the other, they talk about doing something other kids would be "impressed" by .....  and things go out of control very quickly ....   

This reminds me of a saying my mom always used when talking about having a only child vs those with two or more. She'd say "What one doesn't think up, the other one will".

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

But I can't understand how somone gets excited about hurting a child.

Sociopath = a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Sociopaths are expert mimics.

Case in point is the FICIONAL movie The Bad Seed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif