Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Tech students, and what they did...

Does everyone here know what a cutter is?  It's someone who is seriously disturbed, often a young girl, and cuts herself for self-punishment.

That is not the sign of privilege or good mental health. 

Which is not to excuse her behavior, but to put what she is in perspective.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

How does someone have what it makes to make it into college ( a certain level of intelligence, the drive to go through the application process etc), but is so warped, that this is what they feel excited about, planning the death of a CHILD.

I understand how people become hard and jaded with what life deals some of us. I can understand people not liking people after being hurt/violated/injured a number of times by others. But I can't understand how somone gets excited about hurting a child.

It's a sign of someone who is either a psychopath, which he may be, or mentally ill.

Think of Ted Bundy for an obvious example of the former.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Kids easily learn how to cover their online path, sometimes there is nothing a parent can do.

There's an app for that!

Parents need to be more aware as well knowing their way around tech world just as well as their tech savy children.

Like my child & sil always remind their 16 yr old (my grand)....

Not only can I hack your computer & mobile devices, I can also hack your mind.

Yes, apparently it's quote common that kids set up dummy accounts for show and bury their real accounts for contacting others.

I'm sure this response won't be popular, but twelve (when this was being set up to occur) is too young to be on social media, in my opinion. 

Kids that age don't have the skills to question and judge other's sincerity or motives. Too inexperienced. 

If parents don't allow the technology (ie, no phone at their disposal that gets internet), home computer out in a common space and monitored, knowing where they are and who they are with (friends and their parents, making known what you don't allow to parents where she may be spending time), the chances of something like this, while not impossible, can be reduced.

The problem there is that, at least in this area, kids need computers and the internet for homework.  For sure by that age.

Granted, even here in the sticks, it is common by late grade school to be online for school. But keeping an eye on the computer, even not having it accessable when no adults are home or available to monitor the kids is almost a necessity in those earlier years. 

Absolutely no computers, tablets, laptops or phones in the bedrooms, and a parent checking history, and walking into the common area where a computer is available on a regular basis. Never let them feel comfortable enough to try to get away with going somewhere they shouldn't (online that is).

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Kids easily learn how to cover their online path, sometimes there is nothing a parent can do.

There's an app for that!

Parents need to be more aware as well knowing their way around tech world just as well as their tech savy children.

Yes, apparently it's quote common that kids set up dummy accounts for show and bury their real accounts for contacting others.

I'm sure this response won't be popular, but twelve (when this was being set up to occur) is too young to be on social media, in my opinion. 

Kids that age don't have the skills to question and judge other's sincerity or motives. Too inexperienced. 

If parents don't allow the technology (ie, no phone at their disposal that gets internet), home computer out in a common space and monitored, knowing where they are and who they are with (friends and their parents, making known what you don't allow to parents where she may be spending time), the chances of something like this, while not impossible, can be reduced.

it isnt easy to STOP them from getting on social media.......this is one of the main reasons why i myself got a facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.... i wanted to be able to monitor not only my own kids, but their friends also......as much as i could. i know there were kids that would go to OTHER kids homes or use their  friends devices to make accounts. it is so easy to do. i think many parents do all they can to monitor their kids and keep them safe. you can stop them from having access in your own home and environment, but it isnt easy to stop them from having access OUTSIDE of the home!

this entire event has been so disturbing to me...just disgusting and sad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

The problem there is that, at least in this area, kids need computers and the internet for homework.  For sure by that age.

Granted, even here in the sticks, it is common by late grade school to be online for school. But keeping an eye on the computer, even not having it accessable when no adults are home or available to monitor the kids is almost a necessity in those earlier years. 

Absolutely no computers, tablets, laptops or phones in the bedrooms, and a parent checking history, and walking into the common area where a computer is available on a regular basis. Never let them feel comfortable enough to try to get away with going somewhere they shouldn't (online that is).

I don't disagree with your intent at that age, but I'd add that parents have to be realistic with kids about what is out there that's dangerous.  Especially when it's a person older than they are.

Esteemed Contributor

School issued computers are restricted. I don't think kids need an iPhone.
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

There's an app for that!

it isnt easy to STOP them from getting on social media.......this is one of the main reasons why i myself got a facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.... i wanted to be able to monitor not only my own kids, but their friends also......as much as i could. i know there were kids that would go to OTHER kids homes or use their  friends devices to make accounts. it is so easy to do. i think many parents do all they can to monitor their kids and keep them safe. you can stop them from having access in your own home and environment, but it isnt easy to stop them from having access OUTSIDE of the home!

I agree. Heck, here the Amish kids are buying no contract phones to get on social media so their parents don't know.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't disagree with your intent at that age, but I'd add that parents have to be realistic with kids about what is out there that's dangerous.  Especially when it's a person older than they are.

I agree. We are having to start younger and younger dealing with the dangers that are out there in life now. People can't ignore providing their kids with all the information and tools to protect them from others. Things that we wouldn't introduce to our kids until their young teens are now necessary to bring up at 8 or 10.

The danger has always been there, but there are so many ways now to have people introduced into our children's lives, that didn't exist when I was a kid. 

Sad and scary.

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

There's an app for that!

I agree. Heck, here the Amish kids are buying no contract phones to get on social media so their parents don't know.

We live in an Amish community, and it is amazing how ignorant many Amish parents are about what is going on in the world. Or at least they appear to not have knowledge/understaning of much of what is happening.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Does everyone here know what a cutter is?  It's someone who is seriously disturbed, often a young girl, and cuts herself for self-punishment.

That is not the sign of privilege or good mental health. 

Which is not to excuse her behavior, but to put what she is in perspective.

8-10 percent of teens have done self-hurting, cutting is one of the more common forms.  Often done by those with poor coping skills or to get attention.  It appears to be almost contagious in some areas.  In itself, it is not indicative of a seriously disturbed person.