Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Beach shootings

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@J Town Girl  What did the policeman say to do in the event you are in a situation like this? I have heard people say to fight. I have heard others say to play dead.

I'm afraid I would be so in shock, it would be hard to even think of what to do.

Those words of when it happens to you and not if, are really something to think about.

@happycat 

Run

Hide

Fight

There are lots of instructions online. I would suggest just looking at a few to familiarize yourself as to what to do.  These active shooter actions can be used in all sorts of applications....even if you were burglarized at home.

FC406F64-A599-492C-A262-24A1EE321DFD.jpeg

@sidsmom  I am wound up today but seriously how about follks just expect to come to work and not have to read the rules of the road so to speak.  How about you being able to pack your lunch and not have to worry about your co-workers going to shoot you?

I know this is nutty but maybe if companies didn't squeeze the daylights out of their workforce to the point that they come into work packing heat?

Seriously, I am done.

@momtochloe 

Like I mentioned, this information can be used in many different situations. Not just work.  In fact, I didn’t say anything about work.  ‘Have an escape route’....that info is good for even a fire or tornado.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  I truly appreciate the information you are providing but for me the bottom line is that no one should have to think about/react to an active shooter in their workpalce.   Tornados are what they are, an active shooter is another. One can be broadcast beforehand over the airwaves,the other seems to be someone that maybe you should have mentioned a while ago.

Unfortunatately.

Honored Contributor

I honestly do not know what to say any longer about what is going on in our country. Lives lost, for ever changed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

There are no words that will bring peace to those who have lost loved ones or that can comfort those who hid in terror while this madman went on a killing spree. I pray that somehow, in their own time, they are able to move on and continue with Life. 

I want to touch on something: the "what would cause someone to do this?" question. I know mental illness is the first word and of course, you have to have some disconnect to want to kill and yet.... there is definitely something else going on in society.

I am currently dealing with a death threat that was made against myself and other members of our HOA board as well as a few members of my community. I am currently dealing with neighbors who, on social media (the one the focuses on neighborhoods) who encouraged other neighbors to take baseball bats and destroy cars and personal property and take the lives of those who....

park their cars in a place where parking is first come, first serve, leaving others having to park farther away.

I am NOT kidding. Due to parking being a problem, neighbors, people I know, have decided that violence and threatening death is OK TO DO because they want to park where they want and that's that and they are fed up. And now the police are involved. Lawyers are involved. I'm asking you: in what world is this considered acceptable? WHY would a person even put this out there and think it's acceptable? WHY would fellow neighbors then GO ALONG AND AGREE and ALSO offer to help with such actions and believe this is acceptable?

IMHO, THIS mind-set is a MUCH larger problem than guns. Much larger. It is also, what I believe, is leading to the killing. *heavy sigh*

Respected Contributor

I started to wonder when the mass shooting phenomenon began in this country.  I found some information on Wiki about Howard Unruh, who was one of the earliest documented cases.  There seems to be a common thread in perpetrators' trains of thought that leads to this horrible act.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Unruh

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom  I truly appreciate the information you are providing

but for me the bottom line is that no one should have to think about/react to an active shooter in their workpalce.   Tornados are what they are, an active shooter is another. One can be broadcast beforehand over the airwaves,the other seems to be someone that maybe you should have mentioned a while ago.

Unfortunatately.

@momtochloe 

Fixed it.   That’s all which was needed to be said.

No reason to be upset with my information....when I clearly said I was not mentioning workplace. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom  I truly appreciate the information you are providing

but for me the bottom line is that no one should have to think about/react to an active shooter in their workpalce.   Tornados are what they are, an active shooter is another. One can be broadcast beforehand over the airwaves,the other seems to be someone that maybe you should have mentioned a while ago.

Unfortunatately.

@momtochloe 

Fixed it.   That’s all which was needed to be said.

No reason to be upset with my information....when I clearly said I was not mentioning workplace. 

@sidsmom  I guess I am having a down day.  I am sorry that I am not communicating well or worse upsetting you.  It's a weird day/time and I apologize.

Esteemed Contributor

I will never understand why people have to kill innocent victims. If they are so unhappy, take your own life . What a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to their families. Too many unstable people in our world who desperately need mental help. 

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom  I truly appreciate the information you are providing but for me the bottom line is that no one should have to think about/react to an active shooter in their workpalce.   Tornados are what they are, an active shooter is another. One can be broadcast beforehand over the airwaves,the other seems to be someone that maybe you should have mentioned a while ago.

Unfortunatately.

@momtochloe 

Worth repeating.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

I will never understand why people have to kill innocent victims. If they are so unhappy, take your own life . What a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to their families. Too many unstable people in our world who desperately need mental help. 

@elated 

Because they're mad as hell, and they're not going to take it anymore.

Because they want everybody else to suffer as much as they are.

At least, that's how I figure it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.