Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Beach shootings

Not sure how long that unfortunate term of going postal has been around, but it is sad that schools, workplaces, and even houses of worship, have had to create practice drills. There just are no words for the families of those people in Richmond - over time we'll no doubt learn the motivations but it will be a senseless act no matter what law enforcement discovers.

Honored Contributor

Just stating the obvious here ~

The fact that statically the probability of being involved in such a situation is 0 is of no relevance to these, or any others who have been there, or may be in the future.

It offers me no comfort, and changes nothing, nor does it negate the necessity for action.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Not sure how long that unfortunate term of going postal has been around, but it is sad that schools, workplaces, and even houses of worship, have had to create practice drills. There just are no words for the families of those people in Richmond - over time we'll no doubt learn the motivations but it will be a senseless act no matter what law enforcement discovers.

@AuntGTHIS IS MY PROBLEM.

We had a guy that would have more than qualified for "going postal" but it was unheard of back in the day.   They hired security to make sure he didn't come back.  Because back in the day he left without a whimper and this carnage was not to be honest an option..

In today's environment?  Yes, much more attention needs to be addressed but seriously what attention is being paid?

You shouldn't be afraid to go to work.  Or anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

I find it very interesting that we focus on some issues in this country and work darn hard to ignore others.  Maybe it's about money.  Maybe it's apathy.  Maybe we only make noise about issues that are important to us personally.   The recent debate and passage of laws in a few particular states has been front page news.  When will I hear our lawmakers talk about what they're doing to protect our babies in our schools?  When will I hear that our lawmakers are doing something to protect the safety and security of our family members who go to work each day?  When will I hear about what our lawmakers are doing to protect people who want to worship freely in their houses of worship?  I hear a lot of rhetoric, but I don't hear much about anyone having the guts to step up and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.  I love my country, but boy, I sure can get disgusted with her at times.

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@happycat   He spoke about trying to barricade yourself in a room if possible.  If you are in a public area and there is nowhere to hide he did suggest just falling down and pretending to be dead.   He said at times these shooters will just pass you by and move on to another person.

A few years ago in a city not too far from my town, a guy went into a JCPenney store with a rifle and just opened fire randomly.   He killed several people but a few managed to survive by hiding in a dressing room.   

He gave no reason as to why he did it when he was caught.   What crazy thoughts must go through these people's mind.  

Thank you, @J Town Girl. I wonder as well what on earth these people are thinking, or if they are even thinking at all. I don't know. Its just unfathomable to me.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@J Town Girl  What did the policeman say to do in the event you are in a situation like this? I have heard people say to fight. I have heard others say to play dead.

I'm afraid I would be so in shock, it would be hard to even think of what to do.

Those words of when it happens to you and not if, are really something to think about.

@happycat 

Run

Hide

Fight

There are lots of instructions online. I would suggest just looking at a few to familiarize yourself as to what to do.  These active shooter actions can be used in all sorts of applications....even if you were burglarized at home.

FC406F64-A599-492C-A262-24A1EE321DFD.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe, As you know, Connecticut is a tiny state.  Nothing is far away.  Newton is a town very comparable to where I live.  The day it happened, our TV was on when it was reported there were shots fired at Sandy Hook School.  We sat and watched, with every report getting worse and worse.  We cried and cried.  Far into the night.  It was December 14, 2012.  Living here, we likely got more details afterwards.  A horrific time.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@momtochloe, As you know, Connecticut is a tiny state.  Nothing is far away.  Newton is a town very comparable to where I live.  The day it happened, our TV was on when it was reported there were shots fired at Sandy Hook School.  We sat and watched, with every report getting worse and worse.  We cried and cried.  Far into the night.  It was December 14, 2012.  Living here, we likely got more details afterwards.  A horrific time.

Exactly @PamfromCT . And this is what we have become?  Spending our days planning our escape routes from some madman?  And we have no voice in this?  This is madness.

And please know I will never, ever get over Sandy Hook.  That will never happen and I pray for those impacted every single day.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe, You are so right.  You never get over it.  Still in the news, as some unethical person(s) said it was a staged event.

Families were harrassed.  Threatened.  Due to a lawsuit, I think that hell is now over.  I hope and pray that never happens again to any victims’ families ever, ever again.  Talk about vile.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@J Town Girl  What did the policeman say to do in the event you are in a situation like this? I have heard people say to fight. I have heard others say to play dead.

I'm afraid I would be so in shock, it would be hard to even think of what to do.

Those words of when it happens to you and not if, are really something to think about.

@happycat 

Run

Hide

Fight

There are lots of instructions online. I would suggest just looking at a few to familiarize yourself as to what to do.  These active shooter actions can be used in all sorts of applications....even if you were burglarized at home.

FC406F64-A599-492C-A262-24A1EE321DFD.jpeg

@sidsmom  I am wound up today but seriously how about follks just expect to come to work and not have to read the rules of the road so to speak.  How about you being able to pack your lunch and not have to worry about your co-workers going to shoot you?

I know this is nutty but maybe if companies didn't squeeze the daylights out of their workforce to the point that they come into work packing heat?

Seriously, I am done.