@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

The Victims

May they rest in peace.  They are us.

(Courtesy of City of Virginia Beach)

@golding76, nothing brings it home like forcing us to see the people up close. Otherwise, it's just abstract.

This makes me ill. I bet every one of these people had plans for this weekend, had loved ones who expected them to come home last night. Who would ever think they would be involved in yet another mass shooting.

I always say this- if 20 babies, their fragile little bodies ripped to shreds by an AR-15 while sitting in their 1st grade classrooms couldn't move us to do something. Nothing will ever be done. It is this country's new normal. Pitiful. Shameful. Disgusting.

@bathina 

Our culture is sick.  I think it's going to be a tough fix.  If we even can.

No.  There is a path but both sides needs to give a little to begin the discussion.  He had expanded capacity magazines.  That may be a good place to start talking and stop shouting and both sides being "right".

eta:  Just wanted to highlight my response was not directed at @bathina. as I get what she was trying to say.

@momtochloe 

I think it goes beyond that. Beyond a reasonable discussion of weapons and even mental illness. There is a deep disconnection at our core, at the fundamental level of our relationships.  

IMO.

@QueenDanceALot  and I more than hear you my friend.  But you have to start somewhere.  There is just so much noise flying around we have to develop filters and for me it's high capacity magazines.  They serve no purpose for the public good and would slow down a shooting like this.  It's a start.  We need a start.

Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Beach shootings

KittyLou,

There's that, too.  I agree.  Much is broken.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

The Victims

May they rest in peace.  They are us.

(Courtesy of City of Virginia Beach)

@golding76, nothing brings it home like forcing us to see the people up close. Otherwise, it's just abstract.

This makes me ill. I bet every one of these people had plans for this weekend, had loved ones who expected them to come home last night. Who would ever think they would be involved in yet another mass shooting.

I always say this- if 20 babies, their fragile little bodies ripped to shreds by an AR-15 while sitting in their 1st grade classrooms couldn't move us to do something. Nothing will ever be done. It is this country's new normal. Pitiful. Shameful. Disgusting.

@bathina 

Our culture is sick.  I think it's going to be a tough fix.  If we even can.

No.  There is a path but both sides needs to give a little to begin the discussion.  He had expanded capacity magazines.  That may be a good place to start talking and stop shouting and both sides being "right".

eta:  Just wanted to highlight my response was not directed at @bathina. as I get what she was trying to say.

@momtochloe 

I think it goes beyond that. Beyond a reasonable discussion of weapons and even mental illness. There is a deep disconnection at our core, at the fundamental level of our relationships.  

IMO.

@QueenDanceALot  and I more than hear you my friend.  But you have to start somewhere.  There is just so much noise flying around we have to develop filters and for me it's high capacity magazines.  They serve no purpose for the public good and would slow down a shooting like this.  It's a start.  We need a start.

@momtochloe 

A start would be good.  I don't think I can expand on my thoughts regarding this as it would be seen as political by someone.

Esteemed Contributor

Don’t assume there is always a path for escape.  If you are in a confined area, there’s not much you can do.

Unbelievable to look into the faces of those poor victims.  They are now in the arms of God right now.

Who can begin to imagine what the families of these victims are going through right now?  Only those who have endured such a horrible tragedy.

I pray they will get all possible help to try to get through the agony of losing a loved one to senseless violence.

Like so many others, I thought Sandy Hook would startle people to inspire change.  Twenty little children, and six brave women, who died trying to protect these little tykes.

Prayers and thankfulness to the brave police who ran into harm’s way to engage in a firefight with the killer.  And prayers for those trying to save the lives of the surviving victims.  And those having to work on forensic detail.  And certainly the clergy and counselors trying to help the families.  

The families of those poor victims ...May God bless them.  their lives are forever shattered.

Honored Contributor

I think it is maybe connected to the idea that the world is lovely and fair and that everyone should have everything they want just becaue they want it.

I think we aren't teaching people how to handle disappointment and sometimes to look at themselves and see where they are falling short--but just to blame others and hate them for how one's life is going.

I think that leads sometimes to the people who feelthe need to come back and punish others

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

bathina,

I am sorry if I made you cry.   I did not intend to do that.

The thing is that this is my (our) new normal.  And it is NOT normal to live like this.  However, if you want to live, you try to take some precautions.

A deplorable thing has happened to our beautiful nation.  

It shouldn't be new. Being aware has always been prudent. There are fires, falling ceilings, out of control cars, and a host of other dangers in the world. Shooters are rare compared to car crashes, highway pileups, tornadoes, hurricanes and floods. The world is not and cannot be made a safe place, nor should it be.

Each one of us is responsible for ourselves to look both ways before we cross the street...we are adults not helpless children requiring a minder.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a huge gulf between “acts of God,” extreme weather, unavoidable accidents, etc. and intentional acts of a vile person who kills innocent people in an act of hate.

I think everyone should be able to ascertain the difference.

Don’t tell me it is unreasonable to expect you won’t run into a crazy person out to kill you.

Honored Contributor

occasional,

Yes, we all should be prudent and practice caution in other areas of our life.  That is a wise way to live and has been from the beginning of time.

However, to compare the wariness and caution that must now be brought into play when trying to avoid being slaughtered by a mass shooter, to the alertness of looking both ways before crossing a street, etc., is a weak counterpoint, in my opinion. 

Not comparable in the least.

Honored Contributor

If the world shouldn't be made safe against criminal activities, what is the point of having police or laws?

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Don’t assume there is always a path for escape.  If you are in a confined area, there’s not much you can do.

Unbelievable to look into the faces of those poor victims.  They are now in the arms of God right now.

Who can begin to imagine what the families of these victims are going through right now?  Only those who have endured such a horrible tragedy.

I pray they will get all possible help to try to get through the agony of losing a loved one to senseless violence.

Like so many others, I thought Sandy Hook would startle people to inspire change.  Twenty little children, and six brave women, who died trying to protect these little tykes.

Prayers and thankfulness to the brave police who ran into harm’s way to engage in a firefight with the killer.  And prayers for those trying to save the lives of the surviving victims.  And those having to work on forensic detail.  And certainly the clergy and counselors trying to help the families.  

The families of those poor victims ...May God bless them.  their lives are forever shattered.

@PamfromCT  when those awful shootings at Sandy Hook took place, I literally sat there at my laptop thinking/praying this can't be true until I realized it was.  I will literally never get over it after hearing how incredibly horriific some of the crime scenes photo were (enough said).  It took a couple of days for me to start to put into action a plan in case some nutcase came in with a gun (some but not a ton of security) but geez should you not be able to start your day worried somebody is going to shoot you?

I worked for a company back in the early 80's with a problem employee that was fired.  He threatened to shoot up the place but they called the police and he just disappeared.  Why is this so hard to fathom now?  Because back then his firepower was so much diminished as we didn't have these magazines?