Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Beach shootings

Those with bees i  their bonnet can use their vehicle, or steal one, to plow through a good number of people. Angry boyfriends have run down their girlfriends and girlfriends their boyfriends. Jealous wives their cheating husbands...

Homes have set on fire killing those asleep inside.

When there is a problem, people want a quick, easy fix. Laws are only respected by those who don't need them. If laws and restrictions worked we wouldn't have drunk drivers and road rage. 

Respected Contributor

So by your logic, we shouldn't have laws. It takes more thought to get in your car and find a place where you can easily plow into a bunch of people. Maybe that's why we dont have much mass murder by automobile. It takes no thought to pick up your gun from your bedside table and put it to your own head or take it out on a bunch of sitting ducks in a movie theater. Theres a reason why ours is the only country with a mass murder by gun problem.
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@bathina  Then you better remove alcohol, drugs and rope from society as well as research shows that overwhelmingly, people are intoxicated when committing suicide. Men prefer to shoot and hang themselves while women prefer to swallow pills.

Instead of banning things, I  want to find out why so many (especially males) are crossing the line to committing such desperate acts. IMHO, there is far more going on sociologically, psychologically and culturally than we are discussing or choose to acknowledge. 

In my area, cutting among teen girls has escalated; why? In my area, among high school students that come from households and school districts with above average income, depression and suicidal thoughts has escalated; why? In speaking with one of my sons' former high school teachers, she informed me that less males are applying to college than ever before and they're trying to figure out why; is there a correlation between this and violence among males (including suicide by gun)? I don't know but I sure as heck would like to find out.

This event occured in a gun-free zone; how was this allowed? That needs to be looked at as well. 

So many questions, no answers.

@SahmIam  I agree with you. Until we get a handle on the apparently overwhelming senses of hopelessness, entitlement, frustration and anger, I suspect that all we'd see is the substitution of one means of violence or self-destructive behavior with another... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Anger, hatred, jealousy, mental illness, drugs and alcohol, so many contributing factors. If someone wants to kill, they will find a way. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Those with bees i  their bonnet can use their vehicle, or steal one, to plow through a good number of people. Angry boyfriends have run down their girlfriends and girlfriends their boyfriends. Jealous wives their cheating husbands...

Homes have set on fire killing those asleep inside.

When there is a problem, people want a quick, easy fix. Laws are only respected by those who don't need them. If laws and restrictions worked we wouldn't have drunk drivers and road rage. 

@occasionalrain I think you make valid points. While that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't take a look at weapons availability, someone intent in doing harm is going to find a way...

This part of the discussion veers into another sensitive area and that is the attempt to control what are currently illegal substances. It can't be done. As prohibition showed us, if someone wants something they are going to find a way to get it. We can either permit substances, make them available, control the distribution and, at least to some extent, negate the need for drug lords and gang warfare, or we can continue to fund law enforcement to continue to fight a losing battle... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

@bathina wrote:

There is a difference between active shooter incidents vs mass shooting incidents. There have been many, many more mass shootings in the last 17 years than described in the charts above. Please google for more info

The gun used was a 45 with extended magazines and a suppresor. People couldn't hear him coming and he had enough ammunition to have a long firefight with the police.

Be wary of self appointed forum police who will report  posts and have the thread taken down because it doesn't fit their narrative.

@bathinais correct. I am an over 42 year citizen of the city of Va. Beach. I have been to the bldg. where the killings took place and surrounding buildings many times. The gun used WAS a 45 with extended magazines and a suppresor. The people in the bldg. did not even know what was happening for a while as they did not hear gun shots. The now deceased killer had guns at his Va. Beach home. Who knows why this happens? Evil and what I can't write about because it is political.

Frequent Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I heard a report last night that he had recently been fired. No reason for it was given. For some their job is their life so losing it, to them, is losing everything they had. 

@occasionalrain  He was not fired. He had emailed his resignation to his supervisor that morning (Friday). Later in the day a coworker was with him in the bathroom while he (the killer) was brushing his teeth as they said he always did. They exchanged a few words as coworkers do, i.e. what are your plans for weekend, etc. I am not sure what time of day that was (bathroom) but I believe it was in the afternoon. Then around 4 p.m. the carnage began.

Honored Contributor

People use the knives, cars, etc argument for killing.

Knives cut my vegetables for dinner.

Cars are used for Grandma to go to Sunday church.

Guns are for one thing & one thing only. 

Honored Contributor

Guns are used for two things, to kill and to protect. Guns and those willing to use them gave us our freedom and prevent it being taken away. 

Honored Contributor

“..taken away”.

Maybe we need to reassess that for modern times.