Respected Contributor

Re: Virginia Beach shootings

Another “angry man with a gun” tragedy 

Valued Contributor

The FBI states that there were 250 active shooter incidents ibetween 2000 and 2017.  799 people were killed over the course of those 17 years.  

A single death is too many but our chances of being involved in an active shooter situation is statistically zero.

Source: https://www.fbi.gov/about/partnerships/office-of-partner-engagement/active-shooter-incidents-graphic...Active Shooter Map 1

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm sorry for the loss. 

Yet another mass shooting in a gun-free zone.

Yet another mass shooting with a semi automatic weapon with high capacity magazine.

Honored Contributor

suzyQ3,

Despite training required by my employer, the federal government, I fear I would be panic-stricken and second-guessing whether to flee, hide or fight if faced with such a fateful attack.  Probably the "fight" part is clear when you face your killer.

I am retired now, but the training was limited to an online video that we had to take for "credit" every year.  We never practiced or spoke about the best places to hide in our office or whether or not to run to the conference rooms -- nothing like that.  The only thing we ever practiced was a mass evacuation from the building, which came in handy in 2011 when we had a 5.6 (or so) earthquake.

When I think of what those poor souls faced yesterday as their work week wound down, I shudder.  The shooter understood the group would be most vulnerable at that time, I am guessing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm sorry for the loss. 

Yet another mass shooting with a semi automatic weapon with high capacity magazine.

No that is incorrect. The weapon used by the gunman was a 45 caliber handgun.

Trusted Contributor

And my hope is some day, one day, we will have the national conversation we need to have to find some resolution.  I'm sorry but it isn't normal to have to live this way.  I don't want to turn this political and I do hope the moderator doesn't poof this thread, but we must as a nation do something that safeguards everyone.  I can't imagine anyone in their right mind disagreeing with that. 

Respected Contributor

There is a difference between active shooter incidents vs mass shooting incidents. There have been many, many more mass shootings in the last 17 years than described in the charts above. Please google for more info

The gun used was a 45 with extended magazines and a suppresor. People couldn't hear him coming and he had enough ammunition to have a long firefight with the police.

Be wary of self appointed forum police who will report  posts and have the thread taken down because it doesn't fit their narrative.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

The FBI states that there were 250 active shooter incidents ibetween 2000 and 2017.  799 people were killed over the course of those 17 years.  

A single death is too many but our chances of being involved in an active shooter situation is statistically zero.

Source: https://www.fbi.gov/about/partnerships/office-of-partner-engagement/active-shooter-incidents-graphic...Active Shooter Map 1

@Oostende  Thanks for this.  The comment by the trainer mentioned by in a post above (that it wasn't a question of if it would happen to everyone but when) just didn't ring true to me.  More like a scare tactic.  For what reason, I don't know. 

The motive here is truly a mystery.  This was an educated man with a job with local government...better paying and more secure than most.  Although he was/had been in the National Guard, I've read nothing that said he'd been on active duty.  His neighbors knew him but had little interaction aside from a smile or wave.  I've seen no mention of family (parents, siblings, etc.), but it's still early I guess.

I don't kow a lot of details, although it was covered extensively by the local stations last night.  I mostly tuned out.  But I understand he had a silencer/suppressor.  I think without that he'd have been stopped sooner and fewer would have died...because the sound would have alerted people.  I understand he shot people on three floors.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@bathina  How many dead before it's considered a "mass" shooting over active shooter incidents?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm sorry for the loss. 

No that is incorrect. The weapon used by the gunman was a 45 caliber handgun.

Apparently several higher-capacity empty magazines were found near the shooter.