Respected Contributor

Not only that, @sgraham30 , the mall milieu has changed so much, that it really isn't very safe for a woman alone, anymore.  The closest mall to me has half the traffic it had during it's prime. Security is minimal, at best.  Employees seem to walk about like robots, doing their best to avoid you.  I can remember wonderful outings at the malls in my youth.  It's kinda sad it's no longer what it was.     

Respected Contributor

Re: Vintage Mall Photos

[ Edited ]

I've never been concerned about my safety when I'm at the mall.

However, our mall is always busy. 

Trusted Contributor

I was just at our mall today, didn't look like the last pic at all, very busy...packed parking lot...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Valued Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot: I think Walmart is the winner for Slobs. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people in pajamas Or are half undressed.

Honored Contributor

Thank you.  What a trip down memory lane.  So many business and manufacturers are just gone.  I remember hosiary stores.  Heck i remember seamed nylons, garter belts, girdles.  Then Leggs panty hose was popular until they werent.  Lol.   Then leggs lost business.  Hard to find.  Have to go to amazon.

all the shoe stores  they used to have!  ThomMcCann,, karls, florishiem , kinneys, buster  brown, .
leeds,  I have forgotton some of the names.  But now we just shop online, or fo to a dept store or a shoe store that carries all brands.  I havent seen a shoe store thoug. Esides famouse footwear.

Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in California I enjoyed the great malls I shopped in.  One was the Northridge Mall which was a few blocks from my house.  Than there was the Woodland Hills Mall a few blocks from a job I had for 8 years, spent many lunch hours there and my favorite store was Saks Fifthe Avenue.  There was another big mall on the corner of Sepulveda and Ventura Boulevards.  That was many, many years ago, just a memory now.  I am glad I was able to have the experiences of shopping in beautiful malls and sad to see how so called progress has, and is, destroying what once was, to me, a lovely way to live.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our malls here are very busy, lots of people still shop in person.....(there's only one doing poorly but its more like a flea mart than a mall now....and offices occupy the lower level)  In all the malls, the store mix has definitely changed...no more Record Stores...and clothing in Department Stores are more casual, lots more restaurants too.....

920x920.jpg

Image result for parking lot north star mall san antonio

Seniors still go early and walk the malls for their exercise....air conditioned in the summer and warm in the winter.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Love your photos, especially since I’m a senior and those pics seem like yesterday to me. Favorite is shopping for a new color tv— my parents did that in late 50’s.   Yes indeed, people dressed so nicely for outings whether it be church, shopping, school, plane flights, train trips, even Sunday afternoon car drives. We have become a nation of slobs with noses buried in our devices while we wait for someone to deliver our food & clothing, do our housework & yardwork, and now even turn on our lights & heat the oven?  Oh please....Alexa, throw yourself in the trash can. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's fun looking at those early mall pictures.     Interesting that some older pics look like from the 50's.    We didn't have our first indoor mall  in  this area until the late 60's.  

There were a few outdoor malls before the late 60's, where you had to walk outside in an inner courtyard to get from store to store, but no indoor encosed malls at that point.

I always thought it would be fun near Christmas, to just  sit in the mall and watch all the Chritmas shoppers going by.    Have a cup of hot chocolate and people watch.   

Now most of the indoor malls have removed the seating/benches in the malls because they don't want teens loitering and causing trouble.   The only seating now is in the food court area.  

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Trusted Contributor

Two malls in my area. One is in the process of being demolished. The other one is nearly empty and has been sold to a corporation out of state that doesn’t have a reputation for doing anything with the malls they buy. I think this mall will also end up being demolished in the next 5-10 yrs.