Respected Contributor

Re: Vinegar Saved My Rowenta Iron and My Waterpik

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I have really hard water, and I use white vinegar to unclog my shower head. It works like a charm.

@QVCkitty1....yup, I do that too. I put the shower head in a plastic baggie and let it do it's thing. LOVE natural remedies. I live in SoCal and our water is very hard. Every time I shower, I wipe down the shower tiles. That cuts way down on hard water deposits and mildew as well.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

I never knew about this. When it was Super Saturday for Ovarian Cancer they offered a Rowenta iron and I bought it because I thought my iron was destroyed by my hard water. The iron was for charity and a great price, so I am keeping it. Thanks everyone for all the other great ways to use white vinegar.

Honored Contributor

@gcubed wrote:

White vinegar is an awesome cleaner.

We have hard water, so use white vinegar and water to clean most everything.

I found a recipe some time ago for a shower and tub cleaner.  Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 2 T. of dishwasher rinse.  Add that to a spray bottle and fill the remainder of the bottle with water.  Works marvelous for soap scum, no spots, water runs right off.  Love it, makes the dreaded shower cleaning job easy.

Use it to clean my electric tea kettle and coffee press, too.

Cheaper cleaner than all those things at the store.

I use vinegar also, but never tried that ,with dish washer rinse,do you mean like jet dry?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I use vinegar in my Keriug, dishwasher, and clothes washer (it's about 15-20 yrs old).

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I use vinegar in my Keriug, dishwasher, and clothes washer (it's about 15-20 yrs old).

What brand is it? I just got a speed queen last week.

Respected Contributor

there is a recipe on the internet for Dawn and vinegar. That may be the dishwashing "rinse" referred to. It works great but I just can't stand the smell of the vinegar. I made a bottle of this mix and forced myself to use it up. 

Respected Contributor

Tub and Shower Magic Cleaner

12 ounces white vinegar
12 ounces liquid, blue Dawn detergent

Heat vinegar in microwave until hot and pour into squirt bottle.

Add the Dawn soap. Put the lid on and gently shake to incorporate.

You now have a powerful cleaning product that will melt soap scum and tub and shower buildup, clean sinks, appliances and just about anything. Just spray it on, scrub, rinse and be amazed. For tough soap scum build-up, spray the mixture on and allow it to sit as long as overnight. Then, scrub and rinse.

from: http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275?oc=linkback

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

12 ounces white vinegar

You now have a powerful cleaning product that will melt soap scum and tub and shower buildup, clean sinks, appliances and just about anything. Just spray it on, scrub, rinse and be amazed. For tough soap scum build-up, spray the mixture on and allow it to sit as long as overnight. Then, scrub and rinse.

Yes, i use that also to clean windows. I thought  a rinse aid, was like jet dry, i call dawn dishwash liquid.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

12 ounces white vinegar

Yes, i use that also to clean windows. I thought  a rinse aid, was like jet dry, i call dawn dishwash liquid.

@goldensrbest  If there is another formula out there using JetDry,  I'd like to have it.   I do use the above blend, and like it quite a bit, but it does produce a lot of suds.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Oh, interesting about the waterpik.  I sometimes add a bit of listerine to the water and run it through to disinfect it and then run another cycle of clear water to clean out the listerine so it doesn't sit in there. I may have to try this with dawn. Mine is working fine but a little maintenance never hurt. Thanks for the idea.