Super Contributor

Has anyone taking a Viking Cruise, especially and oceanliner?

We are shopping for a cruise and Viking looks fabulous but it's a tad bit

more expensive than the other lines. More is included though. 

Pros and cons?

Honored Contributor

Re: Viking Cruise line, anyone?

@petepetey I took a wonderful cruise on Viking in Russia, from St. Petersburg down to Moscow. Excellent food, wonderful stops on the way, included tours if you wanted to join in, wonderful staff, lots of activities onboard. Cost was reasonable for what I received.

I realize mine was not out on the ocean, but a river cruise. However, I wanted to chime in because the company has a great track record with their trips. I have met many, many people all over the world who enjoy traveling with Viking. 

I'll have to check, but somewhere I have their rating in the travel industry, and it is quite high.

If you don't get a lot of responses, you might try posting your question in the Travel Forum.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Trusted Contributor

I've done a river cruise (City of Lights) which was my first cruise ever and they were wonderful.  Food was really good, tours very nice and the crew was very knowledgeable. From what I've seen, I would recommend Viking!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Taken the grands on the Danube & Rhine River Cruises. 

Speaking personally, was no more expensive than a regular cruise.  I use a travel agent, get perks plus I NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE. 

Grands were under 18 at the time.  2 went FREE & the others were 1/2 price.

We all had a fabulous time.   I am currently thinking about taking an Asian river cruise sometime this year.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

Hi Petepetey: My husband and I have taken five river cruises with Viking over the years and very much enjoyed each. We took a 21 day cruise to China/Hong Kong, two in France, one is Eastern Europe/ Danube, and another on the Danube—Hungary, Austria, Germany. We did combine some pre and post tour days, available as an option. The hotels, during the land phases, especially China and Hong Kong, were beautiful, the food excellent, the included tours, as well as well as the optional ones, were very complete, and there were a lot of options.  There were a couple of problems related to water level on the rivers, which, of course, always a risk. One year there was flooding, so the ships were unable to clear the very low bridges but Viking came up, over night with alternative trips and as a result, we spent an unplanned, lovely afternoon at a winery in Croatia. I say go for it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best vacation I ever had was on a Viking cruise. Do it again in a second. Mine was a river cruise

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No but I'm taking a Royal Caribbean one in August and I'm totally stoked!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are lots of Viking cruise reviews on Youtube.  Margaret Manning has done several which include her videos of the ship, etc.  Here's a link to her latest (Zurich to Budapest), which she is either still on or just completed:  https://youtu.be/uZdVGlafMq4

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@petepetey wrote:

Has anyone taking a Viking Cruise, especially and oceanliner?

We are shopping for a cruise and Viking looks fabulous but it's a tad bit

more expensive than the other lines. More is included though. 

Pros and cons?

Yes.  

I did a Viking 15 day Grand European cruise last year.   Fantastic experience.  Excellent food, service, and inclusive shore excursions.

If your budget allows, and it’s your first European river cruise, go with Viking.   

Cruising is a very competitive market.  Shop around and compare prices and features.

You can save money if you book a lower class stateroom like Aquarium Class.  I personally always book balcony/veranda because I like to sit on my balcony  in my robe, and have my morning coffee.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if I would be able to do a "river" cruise as I know I can't tolerate a ocean one due to extreme motion sickness.  How do the cruises compare in this way to being on the ocean??