Honored Contributor

Re: Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

@manny2 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

New video shows moments before toddler fell to her death on ...

Move the video forward until you see the open window, and it shows that the Grandfather was definitely at fault.  If he hadn't lifed the baby, she would not have fallen out..

@mousiegirl how do you know all of this since the video has not been released. It is all speculation. Obviously if he didn't lift her she wouldn' have fallen out. The question is was it intentional, or neglect. All of this probably happened in a split second. It's noisy, and people are everywhere he did not realize the window was open, or he would not have put her up there. 

@manny2   I posted the link with the video showing the open and closed windows.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

The child didn't die because the grandfather sat her on a railing. The child died because a window was open that probably shouldn't have been. I think the cruise line will end up having some responsibility for this tragedy.

So if the child had somehow managed to climb up on the railing around the ship - or on a verandah railing, and then jump off, this would also be the fault of the cruise ship for not building high walls to prevent such "accidents?"  And even then - how high should the walls be - since a child could be lifted to the top - as here.

Do you think the window on that ship is still open? I've asked a few times and not gotten an answer. Id venture a guess the cruise line has made sure all the windows in that area are bolted closed.

I don't see why it shouldn't be.  It is no more dangerous than the railing - as I just noted.

It is dangerous. You know where the railing begins and ends. Evidently the grandfather didn't see that the window- one window in a bank of closed windows- was open. It was dangerous, obviously for this toddler. But even more so, an "attractive nuisance" for some older kid who could have met the same fate climbing on the railings. I'm sure they've fixed the problem. They would be foolish not to. And reckless, too.

@bathina   Those windows are tinted so you can tell if they are open/closed.  I don't understand how he couldn't have seen that...I know because I've been on several RC cruises and they use the same window system...the windows are tinted a deep blue.

So yes I think one can still open & close them on open decks as it should be.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

The railings themselves aren't the problem. The open window near the railings is. Kids climb on railings. They can fall and get hurt in doing so. But if there's an open window nearby, it makes it more dangerous.

I'm talking about the railings around the ship - which are lower than this window - and from which a person climbing on to them could easily fall overboard.

In a verandah room, it would be a simple matter to pull one of the chairs or the table over and climb onto the railing fall off into the water below - or sometimes onto the deck below depending on the setup.

Ahh. I see what you're saying. If you're climbing on railings outside and there is no wall of windows around you, there's no expectation that a wall will prevent you from falling. If the railing is adjacent to a wall, you have an expectation that there is a barrier between you and the outside. I assume this grandfather also assumed the barrier was safe. It was not.

Agree.  And my argument is that these outside railings are much more dangerous to unwatched children than this window was.  And yet, no one would expect the cruise ship to build high walls to eliminate the outside railing "problem."

The window appears to be much more inaccessible to a small child - and in this case, she'd not have been able to access it without being lifted up to it.  

And since the child couldn't get to the window on her own, I think it is unreasonable to expect the cruise ship to anticipate that an adult would do this.  There is no good reason to hoist the child up to that railing in the window - I think we were told it was so she could "bang on the glass" - what???  And even if she just wanted to look out - there are plenty of other areas with views.

So she should be indulged?  What if she wanted to walk a tightrope on the outside railing - if grampa lifted her up to do that and she fell - would that be the cruise ship's fault too?

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina wrote:

The child didn't die because the grandfather sat her on a railing. The child died because a window was open that probably shouldn't have been. I think the cruise line will end up having some responsibility for this tragedy.

I wonder how many children were in that room at the time the child fell.  It's amazing that only one child fell from the window.

Oh wait!  The rest of the adults were smart enough not to.place their children on.a rail in front of a window.  That poor child died because of poor.judgement from.her grandfather.  What he did was stupid and negligent.

I wonder if he is of sound mind. 

Do you think the cruise line leaves that window open now?

Probably not.  They will probably be fixed so that they do not open and there will be a sign that says " Warning: Do not lift children up and place on railing to allow them to bang on the glass"

That sign will be as dumb as the ones I am posting below....signs for idiots who have zero common sense.

EA9B587D-EBF4-467F-9238-65D6BE0A9481.jpegE395C39D-C119-4CCA-A021-C7AAAC184D1D.jpegF5204C43-B427-42F0-A1A4-8046EF894EA0.jpegB8441289-5D1A-48C4-88F9-6035938E1FD7.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never been on a cruise ship (unless you consider an aircraft carrier one).

It looks to me that there was a wall of windows whereas the child actually had a window view at eye level No need to be lifted to look out, bang on glass.

Her fate was, unfortunately, in the man's hands.  And it's awful that the family has to force themselves to think he's not at fault.  I believe he is, as charged.  It wasn't intentional, but it was negligence.  

Honored Contributor

The family who lost their precious toddler to an alligator in Disney showed a lot of class.

They met with Disney in private, received a settlement, and used the $ for a good cause; Disney also donated to the cause.

Should Disney have had better security around that lake?  Maybe.

Should the cruise line forseen a grandfather lifting up a toddler and losing his grip?

I say no.

That window was not opened only on that one day.  It was not as though it was not supposed to be opened and somebody opened it out of negligence.

This grandfather could very well not survive this.  The stress of his sweet GD dying while in his custody coupled with the stress of a trial and possible jail time-not an encouraging scenario.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

It is thought Disney and the family settled for $10m. The child's younger sister supposedly also received a settlement for emotional distress. I don't know how this makes one family "classier" than the other. 

The cruise line will end up paying something to this family. And the grandfather said he doesn't care if he goes to prison- that nothing could hurt him more than the hurt he already feels.

Bottom line for me, I bet my next paycheck that window will never be open again. 

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

It is thought Disney and the family settled for $10m. The child's younger sister supposedly also received a settlement for emotional distress. I don't know how this makes one family "classier" than the other. 

The cruise line will end up paying something to this family. And the grandfather said he doesn't care if he goes to prison- that nothing could hurt him more than the hurt he already feels.

Bottom line for me, I bet my next paycheck that window will never be open again. 

You are probably right.  So anyone in that room can just do without fresh air.

And the rest of us can pay more for warnings on chain saws not to use the wrong end etc.

Because people like grandpa have to be protected from themselves.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

You are probably right.  So anyone in that room can just do without fresh air.

And the rest of us can pay more for warnings on chain saws not to use the wrong end etc.

Because people like grandpa have to be protected from themselves.

Yes and while we're at it to protect those without any common sense, why not have no more cabins with balconies?  Anyone could lift their child up on the railing there too.  Why not have solid walls of glass on every deck...no more open spaces. 

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@bathina   I said they showed class.  I didn't say they were "classier".

The DIsney family clearly stated they would not sue but would focus on family.  Disney reached out to them.

The settlement of $10M was a guestimate on the internet. 

I do not believe the $ was ever disclosed.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh