Honored Contributor

Re: Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

[ Edited ]

The idea of the Disney incident showing 'at lot of class' has nothing

to do with this case.  Disney was wrong.  Disney settled out of court.  

Royal Caribbean was not at fault.

If there was any doubt they were at fault, the family has every right to

take them to court.  But RC was NOT at fault...so much not at fault

that they have a strong case against the father.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

It is thought Disney and the family settled for $10m. The child's younger sister supposedly also received a settlement for emotional distress. I don't know how this makes one family "classier" than the other. 

The cruise line will end up paying something to this family. And the grandfather said he doesn't care if he goes to prison- that nothing could hurt him more than the hurt he already feels.

Bottom line for me, I bet my next paycheck that window will never be open again. 

@bathina   I said they showed class.  I didn't say they were "classier".

The DIsney family clearly stated they would not sue but would focus on family.  Disney reached out to them.

The settlement of $10M was a guestimate on the internet. 

I do not believe the $ was ever disclosed.

No it was not disclosed. Evidently there's a type of calculation for settlements when children are accidentally killed and that's how the $10m figure was derived.  The Disney family didn't have to sue because Disney stepped forward right away. That does not make them any better/classier than a family who does decide to sue. I believe the cruise line has liability, but we shall see.

Honored Contributor

Disney was at fault, i do not think the cruise line is.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom   What happened in both cases was shocking and so sad!  However I agree that disney was at fault but RC wasn't.

Here's an image below of two open windows...the rest are closed.  It's very easu to spot the open windows at a distance...how could the grandfather not up close?!!!

Opinion: Royal Caribbean toddler death

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

It is thought Disney and the family settled for $10m. The child's younger sister supposedly also received a settlement for emotional distress. I don't know how this makes one family "classier" than the other. 

The cruise line will end up paying something to this family. And the grandfather said he doesn't care if he goes to prison- that nothing could hurt him more than the hurt he already feels.

Bottom line for me, I bet my next paycheck that window will never be open again. 

@bathina   I said they showed class.  I didn't say they were "classier".

The DIsney family clearly stated they would not sue but would focus on family.  Disney reached out to them.

The settlement of $10M was a guestimate on the internet. 

I do not believe the $ was ever disclosed.

No it was not disclosed. Evidently there's a type of calculation for settlements when children are accidentally killed and that's how the $10m figure was derived.  The Disney family didn't have to sue because Disney stepped forward right away. That does not make them any better/classier than a family who does decide to sue. I believe the cruise line has liability, but we shall see.

@bathina  And again, I never said the Disney family had more class that the cruise ship family.  Nowhere is there any comparison posted by me.

While Disney did begin to make the area more secure and assist the family, we have no proof that Disney stepped forward with an immediate offer to this family.

The point is that in their statement the parents said that they wanted to focus on the health of their family and started a fund on their own before any settlement was announced.  That, imo, is class. 

And yes, the $10M is a guess.  I already said that.  It had been posted that they received $10M and that was not true.

I don't know why we just cannot give the Disney family credit for the way they handled their tragedy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Here is a youtube video of that same ship and deck.  You can see at 32 seconds in that almost every other winodw is open...very different looking than the closed windows.  The closed ones are tinted a deep blue color. The bottom bank of windows do not open...only the second ones from the floor of the deck.  

Perhaps the grandfather has very poor vision but that was never mentioned before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5e6b2VOdys

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@bathina wrote:

The child didn't die because the grandfather sat her on a railing. The child died because a window was open that probably shouldn't have been. I think the cruise line will end up having some responsibility for this tragedy.

So if the child had somehow managed to climb up on the railing around the ship - or on a verandah railing, and then jump off, this would also be the fault of the cruise ship for not building high walls to prevent such "accidents?"  And even then - how high should the walls be - since a child could be lifted to the top - as here.

That child died because the grandfather put her on a rail infront of an open window.   The cruise line should not be held acountable because of his poor judgement.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom   As usual, it goes right over some heads.  I said the family had class by what they said.  No comparison.

I never said Disney had class.

I'm also not the person who brought up the Disney case in the first place.

I really wish people would read and comprehend without looking to find something to pick at; once again.

Sheesh.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Maybe all cruise lines should not have windows,where there are children play areas.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom   What happened in both cases was shocking and so sad!  However I agree that disney was at fault but RC wasn't.

Here's an image below of two open windows...the rest are closed.  It's very easu to spot the open windows at a distance...how could the grandfather not up close?!!!

Opinion: Royal Caribbean toddler death

Thanks for posting this....never been on a cruise.  I have been saying the same thing from the beginning of this tragic event.  Grandpa is lying and just needs to tell the truth...that he lifted her up there and he lost his grip on her...she fell.  Instead of lying and saying he couldn't tell the window was open....everyone from the photo here can clearly see you would need to be blind perhaps. But a blind person would feel the breeze on their face and know window was open.  

I am sure Grandpa wants everyone to believe he is not responsible for the accident....but he is.  He made a terrible error in common sense/judgement.

Someone in the thread said perhaps he put her up there to wave to the parents down below leaving the ship (I don't know if that's true just supposing this) can you imagine if you were the parent and you looked up at the ship and your DAUGHTER was up on the railing waving at you from the height?  I'd have a heart attack....running back to that ship to get her away from him and that railing!  I'd be stunned and so hysterical at the lack of common sense that I would never be able to leave her under the Grandparents care or most likely anyone elses!