Esteemed Contributor

Re: Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Maybe I'm getting carried away here but, couldn't the parents file charges against the grandfather?  If they are not related by blood and he's basically an outsider who happened to marry into the extended family, do they really feel that much of a connection to him that they'd want to protect him, even though he mishandled their baby and wound up kiling her? 

I'm not sure what being related by blood has to do with it.  Or why he would be considered an "outsider".  I'm sure many of us have friends who are like sisters to us, and family we don't feel close to at all.

I have a very strong connection to my stepmom.  She didn't "happen" to marry into my family.  My Dad loved her, and she became a big part of our family when she and my Dad got married.  All of us kids were adults then, and we greeted her with open arms.  She has been an absolute angel, and we all love her dearly.  It makes not one bit of difference that she's not a blood relative, and I never once thought of her as an outsider.

This man was on a cruise with this family.  It doesn't seem that they considered him some kind of throwaway nobody who happened to somehow land on the outer edges of their family.  Both before this tragedy and after.  So yes, it's totally believable to me that they do feel a strong connection to him.  Step or not.  Titles don't tell the real story.