Respected Contributor

Re: Victoria's Secret is "Out of Touch"

@Icegoddess It seems if you're on opposite ends of the clothing spectrum some stores don't think you exist. I'm glad we've got options online but sometimes you just want to shop in a store.
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Real, mature women are put off by the look VS is promoting. Especially in the “Me, Too” mentality, we want to be seen and appreciated for our brains and capabilities, not what’s underneath our clothes. 

Really???????????

@CLEM  Yes, really. I think the ads and mall store windows  when I walk by with my young granddaughters send the wrong message.

What message do you think that they are sending?

@mom2four0418  Nothing we more mature women don’t understand, but my almost 10 yr. old wanted to know why the mannequins in the window were so skinny and you can see through all their underwear & had big boobies. Reverse shaming? Unattainable images for younger girls? What are your ideas?

Thanks for responding to my question.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Just saw a commercial for the VS fashion show.

Will be on Sunday, Dec. 2.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

I began to wear b and p from Soma after my breast reconstruction surgery . I love a lacy nder garment and the hipster panties are cotton and cute. They wash , line dry very well.

@maestra  I’ve had reconstruction as well. I don’t require extra padding or under wires. Can you tell me about the “b and p” bras at Soma? I’ve never thought of shopping there. 

Respected Contributor

Anything I have ever bought there has fallen apart.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Real, mature women are put off by the look VS is promoting. Especially in the “Me, Too” mentality, we want to be seen and appreciated for our brains and capabilities, not what’s underneath our clothes. 

Brilliantly said! 

Respected Contributor

I like VS - I don't pay full price. I wait for sales and coupons.

I wear only their bras/PJ sets especially their type of flannel - my signature scent of perfume and lotion comes from them - I use no other scent. All my lounge wear for around the house is their Pink line.

I see all ages in the stores - not just the young teens/college girls.  I wouldn't wear their bling clothes  LOL but I do like their PINK line for my lounge wear around the house comfy clothes. You cannot beat their leggings and Yoga pants. They are fantastic. No sag/bag - they keep their shape.

Not everybody is going to like every line out there - I am glad there are options for everybody.

Respected Contributor

As for not having a plus size line - there are stores that have only plus size clothing like Catherine - Lane Bryant for example and nobody gives them flack for not having non-plus sizing.

We can't please everybody - so if it works for you - great and if it doesn't - I am sorry to hear that and I am sure there is a line/store out there that does. It is great that we have such options.

Their sizing is very off very vanity - the XS often times it TOO BIG on me...so their Large sizes often times  very easily fit 1X. I have seen plus size people wearing PINK items.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

This is a fancy way of saying ‘the skirt was too short.’

#MeToo has nothing to do with clothing/skin.

Hopefully 2019 will yield a better understanding of #MeToo,

’cuz we have a long way to go. 

@sidsmom  Unwanted “acts” against women in the workplace is quite real. I’d never discount that. Those committing these crimes do so because they think they are entitled. There is a very small % of women who do, however, not dress appropriately for the work place. If a male boss is already in the mindset of entitlement, low cut tops w/ pushed up boobies, tight, short skits DO send the wrong message. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Really???????????

@CLEM  Yes, really. I think the ads and mall store windows  when I walk by with my young granddaughters send the wrong message.

What message do you think that they are sending?

@mom2four0418  Nothing we more mature women don’t understand, but my almost 10 yr. old wanted to know why the mannequins in the window were so skinny and you can see through all their underwear & had big boobies. Reverse shaming? Unattainable images for younger girls? What are your ideas?

I find it really hard to believe a 10-yr old would notice a mall store

window...unless someone accompanying her was pointing it out.

First off, VS models ‘big boobies’...why would a child talk like that

in a mocking manner?  These models have the same size of breasts

as any other storefront model.  

Second, VS as ‘skinny’...along with the degrading description

of a person, VS models are not ‘skinny’. They are -normal- weight.

If VS storefront models are such a shock, does the same

10-yr old make the same observations about Lane Bryant

storefront models? Commenting rudely about how fat they are?

And this 10-yr old probably watches Disney films where the 

female character bodies are so weirdly portioned, I don’t see 

why they would notice a live person mall storefront image as odd.

Empowering a child is important. The message should be

’be the best you can be’ and ‘you do you’.  Easy.