Esteemed Contributor

Victims of Identity Theft Again!!

Today DH got a letter from the New York State Department of Labor acknowledging his claim for unemployment benefits.It awarded him benefits retroactively from November 2020 thru December 2021.

My DH never applied for benefits!! He's been employed the whole time.

The letter had his social security number on it along with his earnings & employer information.I immediately called my son who immediately did some research.He assisted us in completing an online form to report the fraudulent claim for benefits.

Apparently there were a lot of fraudulent unemployment claims filed during the pandemic.How low of some people. I hope they are found & punished to the full extent of the law.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Victims of Identity Theft Again!!

My brother got a letter too and he has been retired for 2 1/2 years...

Esteemed Contributor

DH got another one too. He called unemployment again. It took them almost two weeks to call back.  They put him on a High Security Alert.   He's been retired since Sept. Never applied. 

I had one fraudulent claim placed. I've been working all along, mandatory overtime in fact.  My employer let me know & reported the fraud. I also called in to report it. It took almost three weeks for them to call me back.

Honored Contributor

That is awful!

good for you and your son for following up on that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

If I am going to be honest, a part of me would be tempted to keep the money.

I would NOT keep it.

But I would be tempted though!☺

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

If I am going to be honest, a part of me would be tempted to keep the money.

I would NOT keep it.

But I would be tempted though!☺

@Anonymous032819  Lol!! The claim was fraudulently filed in DH's name but the money would be deposited into the fraudulent persons bank account. DH would get the tax bill at the end of the year.

Honored Contributor

Almost everybody's social security numbers and identifying info is floating around being bought and sold. It's not even necessarily local people doing it. The dark market for your soc sec and other info is run by transnational organized crime. To really fight this will take an international effort.

It would also help if state unemployment departments invested in modernizing their systems to harden security and improve fraud detection. That's difficult to build popular support for, though.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Unemployment Insurance fraud is rampant right now.  @NicksmomESQ. Your dh is one of thousands.  I think half of my state has received a debit card in the mail.  You did the right thing.  Somebody somewhere has made arrangements, probably by change of address, to receive the actual funds.  Maybe going to a prison near you or someone the prisioner has receiving it for him /her.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Wow so scary. 

Contributor

<p>This happened to both my son and myself. It took two weeks for Unemployment to call me</p>
<p>back. &nbsp;Make sure you check your free annual credit card report in case something else was opened up in your name.</p>