Trusted Contributor

Re: Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

I do thank you for all of the points of view!

I figured the replies would be all over the map. :-) To address some of the comments:

YES, I am nice to whomever is helping at that office and do and did say “thank you”. It makes no difference to this woman, I just get a stare.
I am not being overly sensitive.
I don’t expect any “touchy-feely, huggy-huggy, warm-fuzzy” chat. 
I don’t expect being offered a beverage.

But I do expect common courtesy of which she has NONE and never has. Neither in-person nor on the phone.

I’d be fired from my public facing job if I acted like that to the customers; treating them with courtesy and appreciation is part of my job.

The owner vet is not going to be in today and we another appointment which was why I was going to leave a letter. Not sure yet what I’m going to do. I may keep my thoughts in the letter but give the owner a phone call.

Respected Contributor

@sandraskates, Believe me, I understand your feelings.  Truth be told, I have extremely high expectations (and I acknowledge it is sometimes an unreasonable expectation) for courtesy and consideration.

I have come to realize that some people are just "pills" and have a pill personality.  If she did her job and wasn't outrightly rude to you in any way, I hope you will rethink your complaint to her superiors.  She could lose her job (and livelihood) over it.

On your next appointment, why not ask her, "Is everything okay with you?  You seem a little irritated/unhappy (you choose the adjective)." She may surprise you by opening up about something or..... maybe by bringing it to her attention, she will make an effort to adjust her behavior.

Anyhow, I hope your kitty is feeling better.

Honored Contributor

I have been going to the same vet for over 25 years - 4 dogs.  I was there yesterday.  I love the vet but the front office usually leaves something to be desired.  I have been lucky to have relatively healthy dogs so I am not a regular (except well dog checks and shots) but everytime I go there are different people at the front desk.  It is a minimum wage job and if they are any good they move on.  

Valued Contributor

I'd take it as a personal challenge to find a way to reach her.  We do not know what is in the background of other people's lives. We do not know what causes them to be the way they are.  All we know is ourselves, and the way we want to be.  Someone I admire very much, recently said "When they go low, we go high."

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

I would feel uncomfortable going back if you choose to speak to the vet, because if he says anything to her, she will probably resent it and may really give you something to talk about next time.

I would just refuse to be served by her.

Honored Contributor

Refusing to be served by her would serve what purpose?  She did nothing wrong except to not say "have a good day and thank you" and  the supposed horrible stare!!  Now some other staff who has direct animal duties will have to abandon them to wait on op.  If this happened the vet would probably hope she goes elsewhere in the future.  It probably would be the same if she complains directly to the vet as he probably is satisfied with her work.  OP would disrupt the whole office just  because she feels the worker should  have acted differently even though she provided the services she was supposed to!!!  

Respected Contributor

I don't really see the issue.  Was she talking down to you, was she rude, did she not perform her job?  Just because she handed you a piece of paper and didn't say anything really isn't much to get overly upset about.

Does your vet have comment cards, or surveys to fill out after your visit?  Address it that way if possible.  I wouldn't write a letter.

Trusted Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I do thank you for all of the points of view!

I figured the replies would be all over the map. :-) To address some of the comments:

YES, I am nice to whomever is helping at that office and do and did say “thank you”. It makes no difference to this woman, I just get a stare.
I am not being overly sensitive.
I don’t expect any “touchy-feely, huggy-huggy, warm-fuzzy” chat. 
I don’t expect being offered a beverage.

But I do expect common courtesy of which she has NONE and never has. Neither in-person nor on the phone.

I’d be fired from my public facing job if I acted like that to the customers; treating them with courtesy and appreciation is part of my job.

The owner vet is not going to be in today and we another appointment which was why I was going to leave a letter. Not sure yet what I’m going to do. I may keep my thoughts in the letter but give the owner a phone call.

@sandraskates I would not write a letter.  The receptionist will read it and it may not reach the vet.  Also, in writing it doesn't sound as insulting as it might have felt (hence the responses you've gotten here).

I wholeheartedly understand what you would expect from the front desk person at a vets office.  When I had to put my dog down (walked in sobbing) the front desk was so comforting and loving and helped me with my grief.  I would not want to go to an office where staff were cold or rude personally and your vet may be losing customers because if it.

if I were you I might just tell the vet verbally when you go back or call and ask to speak with him.  When you are with him or her, just say to him that you appreciate everyone in the office, but the woman at the front desk is not very pleasant to you and it stands out compared to the other staff. 

Honored Contributor

There are some things you just have to brush off and I think this is one of them.

You want the best care for your pet so I wouldn't want to antagonize her at all, she has control of too many things that are important for your pet's health.

Let it go and be glad you are not her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Refusing to be served by her would serve what purpose?  She did nothing wrong except to not say "have a good day and thank you" and  the supposed horrible stare!!  Now some other staff who has direct animal duties will have to abandon them to wait on op.  If this happened the vet would probably hope she goes elsewhere in the future.  It probably would be the same if she complains directly to the vet as he probably is satisfied with her work.  OP would disrupt the whole office just  because she feels the worker should  have acted differently even though she provided the services she was supposed to!!!  

What purpose would it serve - it would serve the purpose of not being disrespected and treated rudely.