Esteemed Contributor

Re: Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

If this employee has been the same for four years and you haven't seen a need to report her before this I would chalk it up to you being particularly sensitive due to your cat being so ill.

In your OP you said, "As I was getting out the money to pay I said, "Yes, I would."  She takes the paper out of the printer, slaps it down in front of me and that was it. No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "good-bye", no courtesy whatsoever. Literally - just a stare."

Nowhere did you relate that you said please or thank you--yes, I would please followed by thank you when you received the printout.

That said, if you are going to complain I would do it face to face with the vet or during a telephone conversation not by a dropped off note.  I would also try to make sure this person is not a relative or someone close to the vet or staff.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

In your OP you said, "As I was getting out the money to pay I said, "Yes, I would."  She takes the paper out of the printer, slaps it down in front of me and that was it. No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "good-bye", no courtesy whatsoever. Literally - just a stare."

Nowhere did you relate that you said please or thank you--yes, I would please followed by thank you when you received the printout.

LOL I was just going to say the same thing, and you beat me to it.

Yes, the receptionist probably could be a bit more friendly, but what does it really effect? Think the OP is being too sensitive.  Not everyone likes to sit around and chat.

Honored Contributor

I honestly do not understand what she did that you feel should possibly cost her job. She asked if you want a printout, you said yes and she gave it to you. So..... While you wanted her to make further conversation and she didn't I don't consider that to be rude. You were paying - she no doubt had paperwork to do to be certain you were given credit for that payment. If she didn't make any actual mistakes, or say anything she shouldn't - why can't you just move on and forget about her? Why do you need to make something out of nothing??

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Marp wrote:

LOL I was just going to say the same thing, and you beat me to it.

Yes, the receptionist probably could be a bit more friendly, but what does it really effect? Think the OP is being too sensitive.  Not everyone likes to sit around and chat.

I agree. 

Where were the o/p's manners?

When the receptionist asked her if she wanted a printout of the receipt, she could have said, "Yes, please".

Instead, she just said, "Yes".

When the printout was handed to her, she didn't say "Thank-you".

And she's calling the receptionist rude?

Hello, pot? It's kettle. You're black!

Maybe, because the o/p herself didn't say "please" and "thank-you", the receptionist felt that she didn't need to extend any pleasentries either.

The energy that the o/p put out, she got back from the receptionist.

So, before she goes tattling on the receptionist, the o/p should take an honest look at her own behavior in the interaction, before she goes and tries to get someone in trouble.

Honored Contributor

I honestly don't get what the complaint is.  She was nice enough to ask if you wanted a print-out of the services performed.  

I definitely would let this go.   

Respected Contributor

Not all people are warm and fuzzy to meet your expectations.  She did her job.  You had a good visit with the vet and the assistant who were the most important people at the office.  Let it go.

I used to take my animals to a family owned business.  Talk about attitude!  Everyone in there was grouchy except for the daughter, who was the vet.  The front desk, her father who was the previous vet, her mother....... good grief they were grouchy.  But the place was very busy and popular.  So who you going to complain to in that instance?

The front desk person you are talking about could also be a family member.

Esteemed Contributor

Although I think the OP's concern is valid, I also believe she described more than half of our local workforce.  It's obvious which local businesses train their staff in customer courtesy and which don't, and I choose to patron the ones who do.

Esteemed Contributor

There had to be more interaction then this.  You said you were getting out the money to pay when she asked you if you wanted a print out.  When you handed her the money or credit card or however you paid did she not say anything more to you?  She just took the payment without another word?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely.  I would want to know if I were her employer.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

So the woman asks if you want a printout - and then gives you one.  You didn't have to ask for it.  She didn't keep you waiting a long time or act put out that she had to give you the printout.  The big "probem" is that she didn't smile and tell you to "have a nice day?"

Wow.  I not only would not call that behavior rude - and something to complain about, I would be thankful she expedited my transaction.

You want her to be punished?  Wow.  Just wow.