Honored Contributor

Re: Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

Only once did I ever formally complain about a front desk person and I couldn't have been the only one because next time I went back she had been moved to a behind the scenes position and didn't interact or deal with the public anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that talking to the vet in person is the way to go. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who deal with the public in a nasty, unfriendly manner. I had to pick up a few groceries the other day. The young woman at the cash register could not have been more of a sour puss. The expression on her face was a permanent scowl. I tried to be as friendly as possible but she could not be moved. People like that go through life clueless, unaware of why they never move higher in an organization, never get that promotion, never get that good job. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I agree that talking to the vet in person is the way to go. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who deal with the public in a nasty, unfriendly manner. I had to pick up a few groceries the other day. The young woman at the cash register could not have been more of a sour puss. The expression on her face was a permanent scowl. I tried to be as friendly as possible but she could not be moved. People like that go through life clueless, unaware of why they never move higher in an organization, never get that promotion, never get that good job. 

There are some people that just shouldn't be in the customer service part of a business!

Honored Contributor

I would absolutely let the vet (or if they use an office manager, then than person) know about my experiences. 

We had a similar experience with a staff member at our vet's office. You can be kind but firm, and they should know. I'd bet yours won't be the first complaint.

Honored Contributor

Today we live in a different environment.  Please and thank you are not used as they should be... And adults are guilty of this with their poor manners too.

How many times has someone handed you your just purchased items and said "Here you go" or something like that?  No thank you, no nothing.

From,what you posted. I don't think this women went out of her way to be rude to you and she didn't treat you bad. She is just lacking in common manners. The business may value her work because she is honest and keeps the office in order.  

In life, you have to pick your battles.  This issue is not worth mentioning.  I would ignore it.

Respected Contributor

You like the vet and the techs.

Your pet gets great care.

The checkout person did not say "thank you".

Which of these things is important?

Respected Contributor

@Marianne1, I like the simplicity of your logic.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Took one of my cat's to the veterinarian today. I've been going to this small practice for 15+ years. The vets are knowledgeable and caring and 2 of the 3 office staff are great.

This cat not been well for a few days, I'm very worried about him and I knew that he was going to get a lot of tests done. The vet was great and I had a nice chat with one of the longtime staff members who was assisting her. Had that been the end of my staff interactions I'd have had a very positive experience.

I went to the desk to pay the bill and this is where it all deflated. There is a woman at the front desk who has been there for about 4 years. I've never had one good experience with her as she shows absolutely no courtesy .

She pulled the bill up on her computer, said "Oh, you had a lot of tests done today. Do you want a printout?".

As I was getting out the money to pay I said, "Yes, I would."

She takes the paper out of the printer, slaps it down in front of me and that was it. No "thank you", no "have a nice day", no "good-bye", no courtesy whatsoever. Literally - just a stare.

I think the veterinarian owner should know about this and I've begun to draft up a short letter which I plan on leaving when I go back tomorrow.

My letter mentions that this woman is in a public facing, customer service position and yet shows no customer service skills at all. If she was having a bad day, she's been having this same bad day for years.

So I ask - Would you let the owner know? Or let it pass?

let this go

have you heard the expression pick your battles?  not worth it,

your pet is OK gets good care, you don't really need lovey, dovey-ness when getting a receipt. 

If you do either write or call the Dr. and it's gets back to her you might get a really bad attitude that could misfire when you need help with your pet. 

just move on

Respected Contributor

Sure, it would be nice if she was more pleasant, but she isn't.  Oh,well.  Not an issue, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I think if you have to ask that question, you care more for yourself than for your pet!   The pet doesn't know thank you from the other oft heard two-word good-bye.