Honored Contributor

Re: Veterinarians office admin shows no courtesy

I know a number of women who are incredibly shy.....but fantastic workers

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, this would be a non issue for me if I was happy with the care my pet was given.  "She didn't say thank you" or "she didn't say good bye" sounds like a really petty thing to complain about.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I would just mention it to the Vet...no letter. Maybe write the letter to let off steam and rip it up.

Unfortunately, you may ruin the good relationship you have with everyone else in the office.

Honored Contributor

If you love the techs and your vet I think I would tolerate the gal at the desk. What I usually do is kill her with kindness and that usually will break the bad behavior. I would mention it to the vet though. Good luck. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't see a problem.  She did her job and wasn't rude, didn't say anything nasty and out of line - just not overly nicey nicey chatty which is probably not her personality and in many who do say such phrases as have a nice day, etc it is just a standard parroted statement that has no real meaning anyway.   She may be concentrating on what she actually has to do to get her job done to provide actual real service to the customers.  If her only responsibility was to chat up the customers that would be different but her job is probably way more complex.  I would sooner have my pet's info be correct than sugary sweet nonsense chit chat that in no way effects the treatment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Really, I think some people see this as no need for the front desk person to be"nicey" as someone put it and some it does bother.

How about a simple smile or civil greeting as acknowledgement that a customer is standing in front of you? Is that too much to ask for someone who also represents the business?

Obviously the womans attitude would bother some and others not.

I think if it bothers the op, she should say something to the vet about it.

For those it doesn't bother, well you don't need to bother about it.

I do think it doesn't take much effort at all to smile and give your customers a warm greeting.No one said she needed to carry on a lengthy conversation or "chat it up" or be "nicey nicey". 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say anything, the care your animal gets is much important than one's ego imo.

Respected Contributor

It's difficult to know the employee's demeanor -- we weren't there -- and it could be a matter of personal perception. "Slapping" the paper on the desk may be your perception, but not someone else's.  Nevertheless, she did her job.... just without any niceties.

If you are happy with the vet, I wouldn't complain.  Certainly don't put it in writing.

Next time, why don't you try eliciting something nice from the employee?  A compliment, a smile, a thank you on your part?  See if that makes a difference.

Respected Contributor

She's been there for 4 years so obviously, the clinic is happy with her work.   If it makes you feel better, send the letter.  But what you are talking about is a woman's personality. She isn't a warm, huggy, feely type.  She's all business.   She didn't insutlt you or treat you rudely.  She did her job.   So, complaining about that to her employers isn't going change her into a different person.  

Honored Contributor

If you haven't had a good experience with her, let it go. She's probably that way with everyone. Consider her a no count person.....=invisible. As long as your pet is tended to, that's what matters. She's evidentally just a miserable person on the inside and she has to live with herself. Be glad you aren't her.