Super Contributor

Saw so many inspiring stories about Vets on FB yesterday...Please share yours

Here is mine

My Uncle was in the Army and fought in the South Pacific.  He was captured by the Japaneese...He was in the group of prisioners that was forced into the Bataan DeathMarch. (google this if you dont know about it)

He only spoke of it once.  My uncle was the kindest, happiest person, always a smile on his face.  He went to Mass every day, and one summeer morning he stopped and picked me up to go with him.  After, over pancakes , I asked him how he survived.

He quietly told me, that the only thing that got him through, seeing the brutality and death everywhere; was that with every step he took he said one word of the Hail Mary Prayer....he held my hand and said, Help is there if you ask for it...

Ill never forget that day

Valued Contributor

Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it. Very inspirational.

Esteemed Contributor

@ProudMa that's very moving.

I don't have a story but I do hope that our veterans, especially those who fought in wars, know they are valued and appreciated.

Valued Contributor

@ProudMa  Thank you so much for sharing your special story. I'm glad your uncle made it home and lived a happy life and was able to share his inspiration with you.

When I was in my late teens, I asked my dad if he believed in God because at that time I was unsure. He said yes, and I asked him how he knew. He said because of an experience he had while he was serving during wartime. I asked him about it but he wouldn't tell me what happened. He did tell me that I would have to find out for myself if God was real. Happily, in my early 20's I did find out for myself.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad was in an engineering unit, bridges and such.  For many years there were reunions.  He turned out to be among the last of them and could no longer remember or go in his last years.

Not uplifting or happy as a story, but hard to see this effort just fizzle out.

We own so much.

Honored Contributor

My husband is a disabled vet. He spent 6 months in Walter Reed healing from his wounds from the Viet Nam war.

Every year on Veterans Day a neighbor of ours shows up at our front door and thanks DH for his service. This year, after  our neighbor left, DH cried.  I could tell it meant so much to him even though he didn't say much except that he appreciated it.  I heard him say to this man, "You're the only one who has ever said that to me".   To have someone come to his front door every year on Veterans Day and ask for him personally and then say, "I just wanted to thank you for your service" ....is so special.  What a thoughtful man this neighbor is.