Honored Contributor

Very sad news about Makena’s new born baby Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

[ Edited ]

If you want to read about it, please check the site.  Warning...sensitive photos

From Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/news/updates/makenas-heartbreaking-loss

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Very sad news about Makena’s new born baby Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Amazing how elephants protect and care for their young, even the bulls, unlike lions, etc who will eat the young.

Respected Contributor

One of the only times male lions will kill (but not EAT) the young is if they are not the fathers of the cubs. Yes, some lions do eat the young. But not most.

Elephant society is run by a matriarch. However, this doesn't take away from the sadness of these poor elephants. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sushismom  You're correct.  The males that don't find their scent on the cubs MIGHT  kill them in order to get the female in heat again.  Even domestic male cats will do this on occasion, for the same reason. Lions don't cannibalize.

Just so sad about Makena's baby.  She was an orphan that grew up big and strong in to the wild. Hoping she becomes pregnant again.

Respected Contributor

@songbird 

I do wonder what happened to Mumo during those 3 days. 

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@songbird 

I do wonder what happened to Mumo during those 3 days. 

Whatever happened, this is very rare.  The elephants that are back in the wild, know Sheldrick is a place of refuge.

Respected Contributor

Wow @songbird , I am sorry for your heartbreak, I know you love that site, the ellies dearly.  Heart 

I am wondering if wherever they ambled off too Mumo slipped down a little ledge or fell into a small waterhole and couldnt get up/out, took awhile. Did I read when they got back Mumo fell into the water and Makena was able to briskly scoop her up but that is something that takes time for a new mother to learn. Thats why I think there was an accident and mom worked and worked at getting Mumo free'd and gained some experiance while doing so. 

Sorry, Im rambling but its what was going thru my mind while reading this sad story. If they discovery during autopsy what may caused him/her to just fall over and die will you post back please. Im curious, thank you.