Honored Contributor

Re: Very inspirational ceremony

There's a reason for so-called "pretty words."

To try and minimize their importance or expect them to be "magical" is to miss the whole point, in my opinion. "Pretty words" inspire at the pulpit in every worship service. "Pretty words" keep exhausted, weary soldiers encouraged and galvanized. "Pretty words" motivate agents for change who have become disillusioned or upset. "Pretty words" can unite a country that's been torn apart, divided, pitted against one another. The "pretty words" in no way diminish the determination, vigor, dedication and importance of people who want to, and who will, effect positive change in the world.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Lion said:

I wouldn't use the term 'better' to describe how it was before compared to now.

It's *different* but not "much better".

People hide and pretend more now because they feel they have to, but it's still there and still rearing it's ugly head all around us, in many ways.

Exactly! That's all that I am trying to say!

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Lion said:

People hide and pretend more now because they feel they have to, but it's still there and still rearing it's ugly head all around us, in many ways.

TY Lion, I'm cynical by nature, but all the elders I'm blessed to know, of all racial backgrounds have told me very little has changed. I honestly believe that to be true.

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 kittymomNC said:
On 3/7/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 3/7/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/7/2015 SnowPink said:

You're the one re-writing history, terrier. The police HAD to put on riot gear because of the NON-PEACEFUL protesters. The police didn't CREATE non-peaceful protesters.

I guess a lot depends on where you got your news.

No sense arguing...neither one will change our opinion.

I wish you'd stop this. If I'm the only one who feels this way, my apologies.

Hi dooBdoo...I feel the same way. Apparently some of us have been trying to keep this thread on the very inspirational subject, rather than re-hashing other topics for the umpteenth time. Speaking of hope, it would be nice to have hope that this thread could continue as it was intended and not be deleted, but I'm afraid that's where it's headed. I've been trying to stay away from controversy, but maybe that's impossible here.

But it's been good to "see" you - it's been a while...Smile

Thanks, kittymom! Always good to see you.Smile

Hey, I always have hope... I'm an optimistic realist!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

To try and minimize their importance or expect them to be "magical" is to miss the whole point, in my opinion. "Pretty words" inspire at the pulpit every Sunday morning. "Pretty words" keep exhausted, weary soldiers encouraged and galvanized. "Pretty words" motivate agents for change who have become disillusioned or upset. "Pretty words" can unite a country that's been torn apart, divided, pitted against one another. The "pretty words" in no way diminish the determination, vigor, dedication and importance of people who want to, and who will, effect positive change in the world.

Thank you for your "pretty words"... your post is inspirational to me.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SydneyH said:
On 3/7/2015 Lion said:

TY Lion, I'm cynical by nature, but all the elders I'm blessed to know, of all racial backgrounds have told me very little has changed. I honestly believe that to be true.

And that's where I am coming from. That in all actuality, very little has changed in 50 years.

Super Contributor

What HAS changed?

Honored Contributor

I think this is a touching picture, but I am sure many of you would not agree! BTW, whoever posted the picture of the group crossing the bridge today with the Clintons in it, is a fake picture, they "were not" there!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 kittymomNC said:

To try and minimize their importance or expect them to be "magical" is to miss the whole point, in my opinion. "Pretty words" inspire at the pulpit in every worship service. "Pretty words" keep exhausted, weary soldiers encouraged and galvanized. "Pretty words" motivate agents for change who have become disillusioned or upset. "Pretty words" can unite a country that's been torn apart, divided, pitted against one another. The "pretty words" in no way diminish the determination, vigor, dedication and importance of people who want to, and who will, effect positive change in the world.

Thank you for your "pretty words"... your post is inspirational to me.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Thanks.Smile

Esteemed Contributor

There is still much "hidden" or not so hidden ra^cism .... but if being able to use a restroom, being able to sit anywhere on the bus, not being turned away from most hotels, being allowed to sit at a lunch counter or in a restaurant, being allowed to vote, being able to go to college, having the chance to get a good job and run a company, being able to be elected to Congress or the Presidency... and so many more things I can't name them all, is "very little has changed", I beg to differ. MUCH has changed, just not enough yet.