Honored Contributor

Re: Very inspirational ceremony

On 3/7/2015 kittymomNC said:

I do think that things have improved over the years. Yes, as several have said, there is still a long way to go, but we've also come a long way.

When I was in school, I never saw an AA... there is not a single one in my high school yearbooks, students or teachers. And I didn't live in the south then, either. But it was before the march in Selma.

It was only when I was a grown woman and working that I started having the opportunity to associate with people of different skin colors, and over the years developed quite a few wonderful friendships. To me, that's a far cry from the way it was when I was growing up. I feel as though I missed a lot in not having that experience when I was younger as well.

I just hope that progress continues to be made toward fulfilling the dream of the marchers in Selma...

We know things have changed for the better, in so many areas. All we have to do is read about the separate entrances, water fountains, restrooms, and so many other things that were finally seen as outrageously wrong. But I think everyone agrees change is slow and, with all change, we see backsliding and the need to be vigilant.

Where there's hope, there's light.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 mstyrion 1 said:

Let's not take the bait being thrown out to derail this very inspirational thread into another argument about Ferguson.

I don't understand the mind-set of people who delight in causing strife, but it seems to be a fact of life here.

Just like crossing the bridge...let's link arms and march forward.

Thanks.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Let's not take the bait being thrown out to derail this very inspirational thread into another argument about Ferguson.

I don't understand the mind-set of people who delight in causing strife, but it seems to be a fact of life here.

Thank you...wise words!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/7/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 3/7/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/7/2015 SnowPink said:

You're the one re-writing history, terrier. The police HAD to put on riot gear because of the NON-PEACEFUL protesters. The police didn't CREATE non-peaceful protesters.

I guess a lot depends on where you got your news.

No sense arguing...neither one will change our opinion.

I wish you'd stop this. If I'm the only one who feels this way, my apologies.

Hi dooBdoo...I feel the same way. Apparently some of us have been trying to keep this thread on the very inspirational subject, rather than re-hashing other topics for the umpteenth time. Speaking of hope, it would be nice to have hope that this thread could continue as it was intended and not be deleted, but I'm afraid that's where it's headed. I've been trying to stay away from controversy, but maybe that's impossible here.

But it's been good to "see" you - it's been a while...Smile

Valued Contributor

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 wookie said:
On 3/7/2015 Plaid Pants said:

I don't have any statistics, but I'm willing to bet that many white people think that racial issues have "greatly improved" over the years.

But, I wonder if an AA would have the same sentiment, when they live it every single day.

PlaidPants, you are a lot younger than I am, so maybe you don't know what life was like for AA prior to those turbulent times. Just because things have improved since then does not mean racism has been eliminated. I am very aware that it exists. I see it rear its head every time I read on social media.

That's what I am trying to get at.

Racisim still exists, and it isn't going to suddenly, and magically disappear tomorrow, or next month, or even in a year, simply someone said some pretty words, that made us feel good for the moment.

I think racism goes down to the soul of a person.

Would it be nice to see it banished from the face of the earth?

Sure it would be.

Will it happen one day?

I hope so.

But, for today, it still exists.

And it's not going to just magically disappear, simply because someone said some pretty words.

Valued Contributor

I'm off ~ thanks so much to all for the great and inspiring comments & posts.. it was good to have so many thoughtful ppl to share this event with. Take care & enjoy your weekendSmiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2015 evelomaddict said:

I live by these wise words.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

ITA!

Desporto Entretenimento Notícias Fotografias de arquivo Coleções de ...

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't use the term 'better' to describe how it was before compared to now.

It's *different* but not "much better".

People hide and pretend more now because they feel they have to, but it's still there and still rearing its ugly head all around us, in many ways.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent