Super Contributor

Re: Very inspirational ceremony

On 3/7/2015 Plaid Pants said:

With events such as what happened in Ferguson, among other places, I don't think we'll be holding hands and singing, "Kumbaya", any time soon.

In many areas of this country, the authorities have a "good-'ol-boy", mentality, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm just being realistic.

Despite evidence to the contrary, I am a believer in "where there's life, there is hope." Look how far we have come. We just have a longer road ahead, and it's not going to be smooth.

Honored Contributor

Americans (all races and nationalities) can't "get over it" and unite as one. It's so sad, but so true. Then we (as broken as we are) expect other countries to do what we haven't even achieved. Blessings to all in a never ending struggle.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SydneyH said:

It was a nice speech, but that's about all it is at the end of the day.......words.

Just curious, but what is it you would have wanted on this day?

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Despite evidence to the contrary, I am a believer in "where there's life, there is hope." Look how far we have come. We just have a longer road ahead, and it's not going to be smooth.

I agree with you RCG.

Back then, just fifty years ago - a man and a woman from different races couldn't even legally marry in some states. It was a situation similar to what we have now with another minority group fighting for the right to marry.

In time - I truly believe tolerance and acceptance will win the day.

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/7/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I agree with you RCG.

Back then, just fifty years ago - a man and a woman from different races couldn't even legally marry in some states. It was a situation similar to what we have now with another minority group fighting for the right to marry.

In time - I truly believe tolerance and acceptance will win the day.

I hope it's within my lifetime.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Plaid Pants said:

With events such as what happened in Ferguson, among other places, I don't think we'll be holding hands and singing, "Kumbaya", any time soon.

In many areas of this country, the authorities have a "good-'ol-boy", mentality, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm just being realistic.

It has to start with everyone one of us and our kids and grandkids need to be taught by example.

We can't be silent anymore or ignore it when we see it.

Valued Contributor

I agree. The speeches were inspirational, and very, very, moving. I am proud of what has been accomplished since the initial bridge crossing, and very hopeful about the future.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SydneyH said:

It was a nice speech, but that's about all it is at the end of the day.......words.

Exactly.

Words are nice and pretty to hear, but actions speak louder. And from what I've seen recently, (Ferguson, etc), words are falling on deaf ears.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Preds said:

Americans (all races and nationalities) can't "get over it" and unite as one. It's so sad, but so true. Then we (as broken as we are) expect other countries to do what we haven't even achieved. Blessings to all in a never ending struggle.

Exactly. The "good-'ol-boys" club still exists.

It's not going to go away any time soon.

If mindsets haven't changed from that in the last 50 years, what makes anyone think that it's going to change in the next 10 or 20?

Maybe 100 years from now we'll be in a better place.

Valued Contributor

KINGTUT, this is about the 50th anniversary of Selma and the President's speech marking this event. Edited for spelling