Honored Contributor

Re: Very inspirational ceremony

No comment on that image Hooty, lol.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 kittymomNC said:

There is still much "hidden" or not so hidden ra^cism .... but if being able to use a restroom, being able to sit anywhere on the bus, not being turned away from most hotels, being allowed to sit at a lunch counter or in a restaurant, being allowed to vote, being able to go to college, having the chance to get a good job and run a company, being able to be elected to Congress or the Presidency... and so many more things I can't name them all, is "very little has changed", I beg to differ. MUCH has changed, just not enough yet.

I agree with this. A LOT has changed since the 60s. I will never feel what it was like in the 60s since I didn't live it, but hearing people talk about it, seeing movies devoted to that time .... I can't imagine why anyone would say that not much has changed. It's a different world.

Esteemed Contributor

Went to take a shower and am pleasantly surprised to see this thread is still here ...

Super Contributor

Yes, lets all join hands and sing Kumbaya, now that racism is dead.

The police no longer pull people over for DWB

The cops no longer harass people for no reason, and treat everybody the same!

What a wonderful day it is!

Honored Contributor

hooty, the photo with the clintons in it is not a "fake picture", but a photo used from 2007 for some reason.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 Plaid Pants said:

Yes, lets all join hands and sing Kumbaya, now that racism is dead.

The police no longer pull people over for DWB

The cops no longer harass people for no reason, and treat everybody the same!

What a wonderful day it is!

Stop being silly. No one is saying that racism is gone. Racism (from ALL races) will never disappear because there will always be hateful people.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SnowPink said:

There is still much "hidden" or not so hidden ra^cism .... but if being able to use a restroom, being able to sit anywhere on the bus, not being turned away from most hotels, being allowed to sit at a lunch counter or in a restaurant, being allowed to vote, being able to go to college, having the chance to get a good job and run a company, being able to be elected to Congress or the Presidency... and so many more things I can't name them all, is "very little has changed", I beg to differ. <em>MUCH has changed, just not enough yet.</em>

I agree with this. A LOT has changed since the 60s. I will never feel what it was like in the 60s since I didn't live it, but hearing people talk about it, seeing movies devoted to that time .... I can't imagine why anyone would say that not much has changed. It's a different world.

I was wondering why you would ask "what HAS changed"... as if you doubted the truth of the statement. But I guess maybe it was because you didn't "live it"? It truly was a different world back then... as I posted previously, I didn't know an AA until I was a grown woman and entered the work world. I almost feel like I was cheated by not experiencing diversity while growing up. When they talk about segregation, it wasn't only in the schools, it was everywhere. I can't even imagine the courage it took for people like Rosa Parks to do what they did. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Valued Contributor

The CIC himself said things are better during his speech today. That doesn't mean there isn't a long way to go, there is. At least it is no longer legal to discriminate. It still happens, but has to be hidden. My brother is married to an AA, and I am fully aware of the unjust behaviors they have encountered. I am just saying things are better than they were in the sixties. By no means am I saying things are as they should be.

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SnowPink said:

There is still much "hidden" or not so hidden ra^cism .... but if being able to use a restroom, being able to sit anywhere on the bus, not being turned away from most hotels, being allowed to sit at a lunch counter or in a restaurant, being allowed to vote, being able to go to college, having the chance to get a good job and run a company, being able to be elected to Congress or the Presidency... and so many more things I can't name them all, is "very little has changed", I beg to differ. <em>MUCH has changed, just not enough yet.</em>

I was wondering why you would ask "what HAS changed"... as if you doubted the truth of the statement. But I guess maybe it was because you didn't "live it"? It truly was a different world back then... as I posted previously, I didn't know an AA until I was a grown woman and entered the work world. I almost feel like I was cheated by not experiencing diversity while growing up. When they talk about segregation, it wasn't only in the schools, it was everywhere. I can't even imagine the courage it took for people like Rosa Parks to do what they did. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

It's not necessary that we lived when things were different in the past. That's what reading is for. That's what history classes and books are for. That's why we watch and learn from well-researched documentaries. How strange for anyone to think we had to live in any particular time in order to find out what has/hasn't changed.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

The answer to change in the future lies in the lyrics of this country song, I Hope, by the Dixie Chicks.

'Cause our children are watching us
They put their trust in us
They're gonna be like us
So let's learn from our history
And do it differently

The key to change lies in our progeny and how they were taught. Tolerance begets tolerance; love begets love; fairness and equality begets fairness and equality; moral conscience begets moral conscience; empathy begets empathy. Conversely, prejudice begets prejudice; intolerance begets intolerance; hatred begets hatred; bigotry begets bigotry; mistrust begets mistrust; apathy begets apathy. That applies to ALL humans regardless of backgrounds.